Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Cleaning without ethylene glycol?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:43 PM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning without ethylene glycol?

Hello:
Is there another way to effectively clean an engine without anti freeze and a crock pot?
I have (mostly) all new internal parts on there way for my OS1.08 FSR and want to clean the crankcase, muffler,carb etc
Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
I have pets and don't want them poisoned so soaking overnight is not an option with anti freeze.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning without ethylene glycol?

I use glow fuel, the last inch in a jug I don't use. That and rubbing alcohol work great. I have it in a nylon tub about the size of a brick, with a snap on lid. Leave the parts in for an hr. or two and give them a scrub with a brass wire brush or old tooth brush. Even cooked on oil will come off looking like new. If you want to elaborate and make it quicker, I strapped an electric pencil,vibrator type, with duct tape, to the side of it. Poor mans electrosonic. but it does work well. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:58 PM
cahusker
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some Dawn Power Dissolver at the grocery store or Wally. It is intended for use in the kitchen to get baked on grease off of dishes. My wife put me on to this and it works great at cleaning engines. Spray it on directly, let it soak for 10-15 minutes and then scrub off with a toothbrush or other nylon type brush under hot running water. On really nasty parts it might take a couple of treatments but it is easier and quicker than the crock pot approach. It's in a blue spray bottle with Power Dissolver in yellow made by Dawn.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:00 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I use hand cleaner,Gojo with grit, and a toothbrush. Then wash it off under a hot running tap, Only takes a couple of minutes. You guys have hand cleaner don't you?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
downunder

I've heard that carb cleaner works great but I've been using dishwashing powder dissolved in hot water then dunking the engine while the water cools. Then scrub with a toothbrush under a running tap (or faucet for the Yanks ).
Old 01-31-2006, 09:21 PM
The PIPE

Looks it's time to recommend that SIERRA once more...

Dear IFliRCAircraft:

The PIPE Here yet again...and if you check the following links...firstly at

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...tm.htm#2533749 at Post No. 13...

...then at http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/ for the ONLY kind of antifreeze that I will EVER use in a crockpot for engine cleaning...and I've done it before WITH that product a few times...

...and at http://www.resteddoginn.ca/antifreeze.php for the IMPORTANT reason to ONLY use a PROPYLENE glycol antifreeze for cleaning engines!

Results of HOW well Propylene Glycol antifreeze works in cleaning model engines can be found in the two photos attached to that first link I've mentioned...the RCU member named BULLSEYE sure liked his results with propylene glycol in the crockpot as well!

So get a OLD crockpot no one uses for cooking FOOD in any more...get the SIERRA in there, & "cook away"...and if you'd like to get my own procedure for crockpotting model engines (it's primarily for FOUR strokers...should work fine for two strokers as well) just PM me for it!

Hope to hear from you soon...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:40 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

Hello:
Is there another way to effectively clean an engine without anti freeze and a crock pot?
I have (mostly) all new internal parts on there way for my OS1.08 FSR and want to clean the crankcase, muffler,carb etc
Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
I have pets and don't want them poisoned so soaking overnight is not an option with anti freeze.

-----------------

No, not really.

You can get close with the other techniques mentioned, but it won't look like a brand new, uncleaned with abrasives engine. Anti freeze does that and nothing else.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

You can get close with the other techniques mentioned, but it won't look like a brand new, uncleaned with abrasives engine. Anti freeze does that and nothing else.
Nothing like gold old fashioned McKays dip, that is.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I had a 1.08, 1100 flights, 2 sets of bearings, cleaner the day I sold it than the day I bought it. My secret, used nothing but Syn. fuel. None of my engines get dirty & none burn up.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist the temptation.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

What chemical is the orange Dexcool antifreeze? Has anybody tried that?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:28 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Kmot

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Nothing like gold old fashioned McKays dip, that is.

----------

Well, you have got me with that one. I've never used McKay's, so I guess I'd better watch making those broad sweeping general statements. <G>

Is this your preferred method?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:41 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All:

Whether the antifreeze is ethelyne glycol or propylene glycol is not material to its cleaning power. The buffering and detergent additives are what do the job, they will be depleted over time, the cleaning power will go away.

At the same time, the propylene glycol based antifreeze solutions, the so-called ""Environmentally Friendly" ones, generally have less aggresive additives, they neither work as quickly nor as long before the additives are expended. And yes, they do get used up leaving you with a disposal problem regardless of which you use.

If you find yourxself incapable of keeping a lid on the pot, by all means use the Eco-Nazi antifreeze, and replace it often. If you think you can remember to put the top on the pot, use the real stuff, and enjoy much longer solution life.

Bill.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Demon Clean engine cleaner.

In my opinion, best cleaner in the world
Old 02-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Kmot

Ed,

McKay's Carb Dip and/or Parts Dip is the shiznit! You dip your parts in it, let it sit a minute or a few, and then hose it off with cold water and it is sparkling new. When carburettors were the norm on automobiles, there was not a mechanic without this stuff. Carb's have gone the way of 45 RPM records, into the history books. A newly manufactured automobile with a carburettor has not been available for sale in the USA for around two decades. In the meantime, the Eco-Nazis (thanks Bill, lol...) in California have managed to get it banned from further sale. Only existing stocks on dealer shelves can be sold. 99% of auto parts dealers are sold out. I just found six one quart cans at a local parts house and scooped them up.

Other states, such as Georgia, I do not know. Perhaps it is still available for sale there. If so, I highly recommend you try it out.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:09 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tom:

On this issue the Eco-Nazis have worked their will nationwide. Really good carb cleaner has not been generally available for 20 years or so. About 15 years ago I was forced to mix my own, And it didn't work as well as the no longer available commercial cleaner either.

The single solvent that seems to work best is toluene, but it's getting hard to get also. Next is acetone, followed by xylene.

Please note that toluene and acetone can be used and stored in polyethylene containers like Tupperware, xylene will attack almost all plastics, it has to be used and stored in either metal or glass containers.

Bill.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

What about Castrol Super Clean...anybody tried that yet? Guess I could be the one to test it?
(I know it will remove 40 year old paint from vintage slot car bodies without hurting plastic FWIW...that's what I use it for )
Old 02-02-2006, 12:40 AM
iflircaircraft

Thanks guys for the info:
Whatever chemical I use will have to be disposed of. In the State of New Jersey finding a way to dispose of chemicals can be a chore. I think I'll just leave the engine dirty. It's inside a cowl anyway, so who's going to see it and I really don't want to deal with the aggravation of disposing of hazardous materials.
All your suggestions are great and I hope others reading this will be helped.

Tom
Old 02-02-2006, 04:02 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

Thanks guys for the info:
Whatever chemical I use will have to be disposed of. In the State of New Jersey finding a way to dispose of chemicals can be a chore. I think I'll just leave the engine dirty. It's inside a cowl anyway, so who's going to see it and I really don't want to deal with the aggravation of disposing of hazardous materials.
All your suggestions are great and I hope others reading this will be helped.

Tom

----------

Your local gas station can dispose of anti freeze for you, if it is set up to do cooling system work. Make the owner smile by slipping him a couple of bucks.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-02-2006, 01:46 PM
jessiej

You are talking about a very small amount of chemical, Tom. Does anyone in New Jersey change their own oil, coolant etc? If so they must have a way to dispose of several gallons of fluid. You will have only a couple of pints. If it is legal to sell antifreeze, whoever sells it should have a clue.

Just don't leave it where any pets or small children can get to it.

jess
Old 02-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Fuelman

Almost any auto parts store will take the used coolant.

OR.....
use Demon Clean engine cleaner and no need to worry about any of that. Works better than antifreeze in a crockpot, soak in old fuel, carb dip, z-best or oven cleaner.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Kmot

Well, I see Demon Clean is something you are involved with as a retailer. I'm interested. Got any free samples?

Also, how about a link to the MSDS for it?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Fuelman

Kmot,
When was the last time you got a free sample of antifreeze at the car parts store?, or a free sample of carb cleaner, or anything of substance?

I am not a retailer for it, I used to manufacture it and owned the company. I have recently sold off the Demon Clean product line to BJ's engine Service and he owns it now. Click on the direct linkl to BJ's off my website.

I believed in the product long before I bought the product line from Dave Gierke a few years ago, and I will believe in it regardless of who is actually doing the manufacturing, and marketing, and I will continue buying it for my own use. It is that good, trust me, I've tried every concoction including crockpots that anybody could ever dream up and nothing has ever come close to this stuff.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Kmot

ORIGINAL: Fuelman

Kmot,
When was the last time you got a free sample of antifreeze at the car parts store?, or a free sample of carb cleaner, or anything of substance?
At every hobby/auto/boat trade show I have been to in the last several years. At Costco every time my wife and I shop there.

Nevermind..............
Old 02-05-2006, 12:15 PM
iflircaircraft

Thanks guys for your advice. I wound up using Cascade dishwashing powder mixed in with plenty of water and boiled the engine in an old pot then used a toothbrush to get off the stubborn stuff. It looks as good as new now. I did this when all the internal parts and carb were removed.

Now i'm going to post a new topic....

Tom