Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 46 Rear Bearing Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 11:19 PM
Ron Landram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46 Rear Bearing Help Needed

I need to replace the rear bearing in my .46FX. I have the engine completely apart including the front bearing.

How in the heck do you get the rear bearing out?

Where is a good place to order a new bearing?

I am a new escapee from the other and very slow RC Site.

Ron
Old 01-21-2002, 11:34 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Hey Ron!

With the engine completely apart, heat it to 200 F or so in a low oven. Then rap it smartly , rear down, on a wood block (use gloves..it needs to be hot enough so you can't hold it). The rear bearing will fall right out.

As for new bearings..Boca Bearings has always done me right..they have a FAQ on bearing replacement on their site.

www.bocabearings.com
Old 01-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Ed Smith

Default Removing rear bearing

So, all you have is the crankcase with a rear bearing in it? At least that is what you should have.

Stand the case on its back (where the backplate sits) on a block of wood.

With the aid of a propane torch carefully warm up (Not Melt) the case from the outside. play the flame uniformly around the case where the bearing sits. Be patient here, do not hit or tap the case. After a while the bearing will fall out. The trick here is to get the bearing to fall out square. If you tap or hit the case the bearing will fall out crooked and jam in the case.

You now will have to try and hold a hot case, usualy with rag wrapped around it, while you straighten up the bearing to get it out. Now the case is starting to cool down again adding to your misery.

You could also try baking it in the oven. I do not know what temperature is required. Just keep increasing it until the bearing drops out. I always use the torch. It takes me less than five minutes.

Ed S
Old 01-22-2002, 10:50 AM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Default OS 46 Rear Bearing Help Needed

Betty Crocker heartily recommends Chuck Auger's bake and shake method but 250 degrees
might be a slghtly better temp but ovens temps vary widely.

If you live in or close to a reasonably large metro area there will likely be a bearing shop around where you can just visit and show the man behind the counter what bearings you need replacing. He will be able to match them up with a variety of brands and quality levels from which to choose from. You might also want to show him the crankshaft as well.
This should save you the time and trouble of dealing with Boca and get you back in the air faster. Might be cheaper as well.

When you re-install the bearings - again heat the case and also freeze the bearings - they should slip right into place as the heated case opens up and the cold bearings shrink down.