Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

SuperTigre owners club!Post your oppinions-pics etc.

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

SuperTigre owners club!Post your oppinions-pics etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Blade47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SuperTigre owners club!Post your oppinions-pics etc.

Yes you do see a gasket and if I have used a new one I re-tighten the bolts after a couple of flight ( I check all the bolts and nuts ) ... but what you don't see in this picture is that I have safety wired the muffler header pipe around the head.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:00 AM
pilotpete2

Blade47,
I can clearly see in your photo that you also upgraded to "elastic stop nuts", probably 6-32 dubro bolts also?
no way your goin to lose that muffler but I'm with Ernie on using Hi-Temp RTV instead of the gasket.
Great shot there,

Pete
Old 02-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Charles Young
My Feedback: (5)

Fellows I have 2 super tiger engines [ [2300] but need the old style needle value. Do you know where i can buy a couple .they are the wire needle values.
Thanks Charles Young
[email protected]
Old 02-20-2006, 01:44 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a big Super Tigre fan. Here's what I have so far:

Italian Tigres (17):

S25 SL
Serie X .25
G34 Heli (2)
G34 Aero
S40 Sport
G40 Ring (3)
G45 (2)
G51 (2)
G61 Ring
S90K
G90
S2000

Chinese Tigres (3):
G45 (2)
G51

I just came inside from the cold outdoors. I was breaking in the pair of Italian G34 Helis I have in my Hobbico TwinStar. I always break in my engines on a test stand but in this case I had installed the engines while assembling the airplane and decided to leave them in place for break in.

After three tanks of fuel run sloppy rich, I started working them toward a decent peak. Then, it took a lot of leaning of the low-speed needles to get a good transition.

After four tank-fulls through each engine, I'm ready to maiden the TwinStar when the weather gets a bit better. I've got a feeling this airplane will really scream... the sound of those two G34s at full song is pretty impressive! They are both fitted with the older teardrop-style mufflers and are quite loud (not an issue where I fly).

Enjoy your Super Tigres,
desmobob
Old 02-20-2006, 03:20 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Not24

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck
The reason I'm not interested in the newer STs is that compared to engines of the same size from other companies, they are almost always significantly heavier.
That may be true, but a good bit of that weight may be in the large heat sink head. You can run Supertigers inside cowlings with less worry about overheating. Unless you are into 3D, a little more engine weight is not that big of a deal. The bigger tigers are actually too light for some applications. I was thinking about putting mine into a Dynaflite Decathalon, but those guys are running gas engines just to get the balance right. I can turn the same size prop at the same speed as some of those gas engines, but would need ballast in the nose. For general sport flying applications, I think the Tigers are a very good value.
If I were into planes that were large enough for gas engines, which I'm not, I'd go with a gas engine, fuel costs are way lower.

In some of the smaller size ranges it's really hard to imagine how there could be enough weight in the head to account for the difference. For example, the Tower .75 is 4 ounces lighter than the G75. There are several .61 engines under 20 ounces, but the G61 weighs in at an obese 26.7 ounces. The weight pattern continues as you go down the scale. Personally, I'd rather have a light engine and then deal with the balance by shifting things around than be stuck with the extra weight.

But anyway, to each his own, I understand that many people are very happy with their ST engines, nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

desmobob,
What size tanks are you gonna use and how long a run time do you think it'll do. I got a twinstar that needs new engines just sitting here. Wore out the TT.36's. They run fine individually but dont track together very good anymore. Hadnt considered the ST.34 until now. Was gonna try some bushed Tower .40s I had laying around. But that didnt really spark my plug.<g>

As for glow in big engines, I'm kinda in piper_chucks camp here. My crossover point is about 1.8 ci. Biggest glow I have is saito 1.8. Above that, I go gas. But I know plenty of people that love the big ST's.
Edwin
Old 02-20-2006, 06:06 PM
desmobob

ORIGINAL: Edwin

desmobob;
What size tanks are you gonna use and how long a run time do you think it'll do. I got a twinstar that needs new engines just sitting here. Wore out the TT.36's. They run fine individually but dont track together very good anymore. Hadnt considered the ST.34 until now. Was gonna try some bushed Tower .40s I had laying around. But that didnt really spark my plug.<g>

As for glow in big engines, I'm kinda in piper_chucks camp here. My crossover point is about 1.8 ci. Biggest glow I have is saito 1.8. Above that, I go gas. But I know plenty of people that love the big ST's.
Edwin
Edwin,

Right now I have just the stock 4-oz. tanks installed. I'll be adding an additional pair of 4-oz tanks on the wing, inside the fuse, piped to the tanks in the nacelles. I didn't carefully measure my run time as I only ran the engines together once after getting them set. I ran at half-throttle with some full-throttle spin-ups and got about seven minutes until an engine out. I'm still running the G34s fairly rich.

Flight times would be short with the stock tanks... too short for my liking. If I didn't already have the pair of ST G34s (have them for a yet-to-be-built Wing Mfg. A-26 Invader kit), I would have opted for a pair of hot ball bearing .25s of some sort, purely for the fuel economy issue. I wish I had a second S25 SL or Serie X .25 ringed. They might be good pairs for the TwinStar.

I'm not much into the big ST glow engines, either. I have not used the old, NIB S2000 I have. My largest glow engine is an O.S. 1.60 (in Hobbico 25% Giles 202). I have a couple of Saito .150s, also (in Dave Patrick Ulitmate and CMP P-40).

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 02-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Kostas1

I think that a pair of OS 46 AX is the best way to go with your Twinstar.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:09 AM
The_Pipefather

I am a rank beginner (to RC, not to engines) and the only glow engine that I've owned is the SuperTigre GS40. I bought it only because it was the cheapest 40-size on Tower, despite others advising me not to go for "any cheap engine" (meaning non-OS) , and I can safely say, those who said it are eating their words.

I have about 10 11-oz tanks through it and changed right away to a Tower Hot plug since I am running FAI-type (80 meth/20 castor) fuel. It starts single-flip first time, every time. Idle & Transition seems to be a bit rich, I have yet to do the final tuning from the factory settings.

Here's a few pics of the plane (SPAD trainer which I built for it) and a few more of the test "equipment" (love the word) I'm using to develop a tuned pipe for it (CHT gauge, tach and stopwatch for fuel flow).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98334.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	412628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb88034.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	412629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13594.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	412630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69896.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	412631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30154.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	412632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy35454.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	412633  
Old 02-21-2006, 05:18 AM
injunnut1

Pipefather,
I like your test stand, a very solid no-nonsense set-up! What is the instrument above the tachometer, a temp gauge I am guessing? And the instrument below the tach is a timer, I am guessing also? THANKS for posting the photo of your well thought out test rig. Have you formed any conclusions on your proposed tuned pipe yet?
Ops, I just re-read your last paragraph about the instruments ...... still, exactly what is the 'CHT' gauge? Thanks Again.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Kostas1

You are not obliged to buy an OS engine.
I am an OS fan,but i am not trying to convince you to buy an OS engine.
In addittion to that i think OS is one of the best options available.
You are the boss,you are taking decisions...
I like to see people who are enjoying our hobby..even if they are not using OS engines!Hehe
Enjoy.
Kostas.
Greece.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The only time I've had success using gaskets is when I used bulk Quick Hinge material. The kind that has Mylar in the center and "fuzzy stuff" on both sides, I cut out a precise gasket, then soak both sides with Blue LocTite and let it completely dry. In the long run, it's just easier to use UltraCopper and no gasket at all.

As for my SuperTigre engines I have a .40, a G21-.46, 3 .51s, a .61 ABC, a K .90, a 3000 and almost 2 4500s. One of the .51s, the .90, the 3000 and the 4500 are all converted to Diesel.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:54 AM
mikeboyd

I have two of these, one in a Cermark Pitts byplane and the other in a World Models FunWorld3d 120. Both love an APC 17X6 prop with a fox idle bar plug and the spray bar turned down toward the rear engine mounting bolt. I set the low end as lean as possible and the high end a little rich, has good transition, midrange, power and reliability. One has a Bisson Pitts muffler, with one exhaust tube blocked off with JB weld, the other with the stock muffler. They run the same. Most bang for the bank going!!!
ORIGINAL: Kostas1

ORIGINAL: RevGQ

I currently have two ST 2300's. One is in a 68" WS Sukhoi with great vertical performance. The other is going into the GP R1 Gee Bee Racer, for which I am awaiting a Bisson 70 deg. pitts muffler.

With the help of local club member, I learned to tune them until they purr. I did run into a problem with one though. I was unable to get it to richen up on the top end. I replaced the carb twice (I have a couple laying around) to no avail. I finally mounted a K&B carb to it, and it runs terrific, in fact the transition of so much crisper, I think I will order another 2300 and the K&B carb for my next project, Kange's Waco bipe. I originally got into the 2300's when I was looking for a motor that had a bit more umph than the OS 1.20 FS. It turned out to be a perfect swap out.

[img][/img]
Thank's for answering to our topic.
Please can you tell us what prop do you use to your 2300 and what about the rpm range?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:19 AM
The_Pipefather

ORIGINAL: injunnut1

Pipefather,
I like your test stand, a very solid no-nonsense set-up!
Have you formed any conclusions on your proposed tuned pipe yet?
...... still, exactly what is the 'CHT' gauge? Thanks Again.
Glad to hear you like it.

Right now I havent thought about the actual design of the tuned pipe as I am yet to degree the engine for port timings and compression. But my objectives are to get a min. of 2000 rpm at the top while improving transition and idle.

CHT is cylinder head temperature.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:51 AM
crownvic

I have 3 super tiger engines.The 90 and the 2300are dependable and run good the 4500 is a big piece of crap! I have an OS3500 that will pull the doors off the ST. the OS will pull a 20X8at 7600 RPM while the ST struggles to turn a 18X6 at 7400 rpm

Lonnie
Old 02-21-2006, 11:54 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: The_Pipefather

I am a rank beginner (to RC, not to engines) and the only glow engine that I've owned is the SuperTigre GS40. I bought it only because it was the cheapest 40-size on Tower, despite others advising me not to go for "any cheap engine" (meaning non-OS) , and I can safely say, those who said it are eating their words.

I have about 10 11-oz tanks through it and changed right away to a Tower Hot plug since I am running FAI-type (80 meth/20 castor) fuel. It starts single-flip first time, every time. Idle & Transition seems to be a bit rich, I have yet to do the final tuning from the factory settings.

Here's a few pics of the plane (SPAD trainer which I built for it) and a few more of the test "equipment" (love the word) I'm using to develop a tuned pipe for it (CHT gauge, tach and stopwatch for fuel flow).

-------------

There are no factory settings on any glow engine that is mass produced. They are more or less random settings.

No one at the factory can possibly know where you, the end user, will live and at what elevation/humidity/temperature you will be operating the engine. They cannot know which propeller or type of fuel you will be using. All of these things make a considerable difference as to where the carb needles need to be set. Running an engine out-of-the-box at the settings it arrived with is a sure way to either damage the engine, or to have an engine that runs unsatisfactorily.

Perhaps you know this and have neglected to mention your adjustments in your post. In that case, I apologize. However, other folks read these posts and some take the printed word verbatim, if you know what I mean?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:24 PM
The_Pipefather

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

ORIGINAL: The_Pipefather

-------------

There are no factory settings on any glow engine that is mass produced. They are more or less random settings.

No one at the factory can possibly know where you, the end user, will live and at what elevation/humidity/temperature you will be operating the engine. They cannot know which propeller or type of fuel you will be using. All of these things make a considerable difference as to where the carb needles need to be set. Running an engine out-of-the-box at the settings it arrived with is a sure way to either damage the engine, or to have an engine that runs unsatisfactorily.

Perhaps you know this and have neglected to mention your adjustments in your post. In that case, I apologize. However, other folks read these posts and some take the printed word verbatim, if you know what I mean?

Ed,

I understand your concern and know exactly what you mean about people taking the printed word verbatim.

However what I said was that I ran the engine at the factory setting (I did not know it was random) that it came with during run-in, on the idle and mid-range only, AS THE MANUAL EXPRESSLY RECOMMENDS. I also mentioned, specifically, that the settings may be a bit too rich, implying through the words "I have YET to do the FINAL setting ...." the fact that it runs unsatisfactorily now that it may be fully broken-in.

I dont see how people can be misled. I KNOW that I havent tried to mislead deliberately.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:47 PM
dspecgsx
My Feedback: (12)

My Supertigre...any guess on date of production and size? I use to run it many years ago but the model I flew it on has long since retired.

Name:	Nl28700.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	415472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67873.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	415473  
Old 03-13-2006, 11:40 PM
ludovit

I had two ST G-51 ringed in the past and didn't have any problems with them. Very reliable. Didn't like the cold weather,
Cool down very fast and had to run them on the lean side.
I installed my new ST G-3250 in my Goldberg Extra 330 77". I did bench tested it and it has tons of power. I am using Iron Bay
regulator, this way i was able to put the fuel tank on the CG and no worries with flooding.
Throttle response is very quick and no hesitation from idle to wide open . It swings TopFlite 20x6-10 ,
Master Airscrew 20x6 props over 7000 RPMs.
That is with brand new engine, as will loosen up after break-in it will run even better.
I had lot of 2 strokes different brands, but this engine is my favorite so far. My Evolution 46 was also very good (zero dead stick).
Hopefully by end of the week I would like to take Extra 330 with ST G-3250 on maiden flight.
Some pictures at the beginning of the project .

Name:	Ca80279.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	425688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86099.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	425689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90479.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	425690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69736.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	425691  
Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Kostas1

I am very happy to see people using many brands of engines!
Thank's for your pics!
Can you tell us what fuel you use?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:34 AM
ludovit

Kostas1
For break-in I am still using Byron 5% nitro 18% oil. After break-in I will switch to Byron ST fuel. 10% Nitro and I think it is 10% oil.
This mix is made for large Super Tigre engines
Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Kostas1

Only 10% oil?
Ah i think it should have at least 16%?
Also the Ironbay regulator you used is sth like a pump?
Like a Perry pump?
It was difficult to install and tune?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:41 PM
ludovit

Kosta1
Yep 10% oil. I might add just a little oil for safety. Also large Super Tigre engines runs fine on 0% Nitro. You don't want to run 10% oil on small Super Tigre. This fuel mix is made for Giant Scale Super Tigre engines.
Iron Bay regulator is very esy to install, no adjustments. Just follow instructions. It works on same principle as SCUBA regulator.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I flew a ST 3000 which is the little brother to the 3250 with a OS 7D (1.08) carb on 5% st blend fuel. The carb really makes this engine easy is to adjust and gives it a little extra HP. This engine is a sweet heart to run, and is built extremely rugid. It would start by snapping the spinner backwards against compression with two fingers.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Flyer95
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: crownvic

I have 3 super tiger engines.The 90 and the 2300are dependable and run good the 4500 is a big piece of crap! I have an OS3500 that will pull the doors off the ST. the OS will pull a 20X8at 7600 RPM while the ST struggles to turn a 18X6 at 7400 rpm

Lonnie
Your G4500 on a good muffler should turn a 20x10 at that rpm. I know the ST quiet muffler kills that G4500 performance[]. What muffler are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.