Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Are you impessed with your Tower engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Are you impessed with your Tower engines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Are you impessed with your Tower engines?

Bodge,
I have not recieved any so far "lol". I still love my Tower .75's, and converted four more club members this winter from OS's to Tower .75's. Glad to hear from you. I think the person you mentioned got a spanking from the last episode.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Bodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you are right; he did (har)

And you are right about the Tower 75. They are not too common over here (UK), but I have seen them go and for that sort of performance per $ you can't go wrong.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT THE TOWER 75!! I don`t really need one, but you guys make me want one real bad
Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 PM
greengoose

Asmund, now there is nothing wrong with that is there? Aw common you know you want one, go ahead get one and enjoy it.....
Old 02-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....get two of them....
Old 02-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Iflyglow

Asmund,
You do not know what you are missing. Buy two and get $30.00 off of your order with there promotional discounts. I and a few of my club buddies loaded up on Magnum .91rfs's for $119.00 each delivered to my door with there discounts.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 AM
asmund

Yeah I know, you guys are lucky. It is just so damn expensive to have them ship to Norway, taxes, fees, customs and what not[:@]
Old 02-23-2007, 02:58 PM
TimC

asmund, would you still have to pay the fees and taxes if you sent someone in the states the money and they mailed it to you as a "gift"?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:59 PM
asmund

On top of my wishlist at this time is the YS 63 FZ-S for my OMP Katana profile. It is about
400$ worth of Norwegian funds here.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:06 AM
Turk1

....sorry Fellas, no politics in the discussion Forums.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:06 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

....sorry Fellas, no politics in the discussion Forums.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Now onto the subject! Am currently running a Super Tigre 90 ringed on a Stick and a friend just got the Tower 75 for his Stick and....what an amazing engine! That thing ran great right out of the box, is as strong as my 90 is, and a little better on fuel. Would love to have one!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Iflyglow

I just wish Tower would market a .90, 1.20, and a 1.60 with the same type of performance per CI. I would buy evert one of them.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Who's talking bad about the Tower .75? I have just started flying one and that thing is an animal! It does love the small props, but it does turn. I think I'm getting another one, I might want a twin, or another flying wing.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:51 PM
opjose

I have several Tower engines including the sweet .75.

One .46 was a bear to get running and tune up out of the box, but it's settled in very nicely after about a gallon of fuel.

The next new .46 ran just great out of the box and I was flying it reliably on the second tank.

The .75s have been just great. My only complaint with them still is the muffler mounting bolts.

Great engines otherwise.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:23 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you are being fair to OS, Motorman.

We have come to expect, maybe undeservedly, for OS products to be absolutely perfect. After all, they do charge prices in the US (they being the importers) that would seem to indicate perfection. I have yet to see where the OS FL-70 is actually a bad engine. It is a lower cost engine and one would not expect a lower cost engine to possess all of the fine qualities of the same manufacturer's higher cost engine line.

Inexperienced operators often have problems with pumped/regulated engines because they do not have a firm grip on what to expect (Ultimate 70) of them. Our R/C culture is rife with stories of dissatisfied OS/Enya/YS owners whose lack of education has tainted their POV of such engines.

The .90FX needle valve problem was a bad experience and should never have happened. This one I DO blame on OS.

While I do have a good proportion of Chinese made engines in my fleet and I am generally very happy with them, most do not compare favoroubly with OS engines in ease of handling, nor longevity.

I'm just talking here. No offense intended to anyone.

Ed Cregger

Old 04-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Flyboy Dave

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

tower 46 is the worst engine ever made, it is causing a lot of first timers to stay away from the hobby.
Tower 46 should be banned by the ama.
I would not recommend a first timer purchase the Tower .46, unless the engine can be
massaged and tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. The Tower mufflers
have issuses that need to addressed to keep them from loosening, and if the carb is not
down tight against the o-ring ....the engine will be fussy because of the air leak.

Then of course not using the correct fuel, with the correct glow plug, and the correct
propeller....using the correct break-in and of course the correct tuning procedures....

....the "first timer" has little chance at sucess. The fact is, the Tower .46 is an
outstanding engine, but it is on the high performance end of the "sport" spectrum, so
it can be dicey without the correct care and feeding.

The OS line of LA engines are designed for new enthuiast's. They are not as high strung,
fussy, or hard to tune.

FBD.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:37 AM
mikestewart

I'm convinced... 2 tower .75s coming right up for me. Even with postage to Australia its a ripper of a deal!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:05 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too, Asmund. I've been resisting the temptation to buy a Tower .75 and it is taking all the willpower that I have. I already have way too many engines in that size range.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-05-2007, 11:42 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

I would not recommend a first timer purchase the Tower .46, unless the engine can be
massaged and tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. The Tower mufflers
have issuses that need to addressed to keep them from loosening, and if the carb is not
down tight against the o-ring ....the engine will be fussy because of the air leak.
I've had one Tower .46 which was a bear to get running properly, and another which ran great out of the box.
Nothing more than a click required, and no problem with the muffler too. ( A cheap replacement carb fixed my problem child. )

While the T.H. engines seem to be a bit more finicky than say an O.S., and I believe that you are correct in saying that they are not the best "first timer" engines; there are no conversely no real "issues". Most of what you pointed out applies to any engine.

How many of us actually use the gaskets, for instance?

I always find that the cylinder head bolts MUST be tightened down after the engine is run once or twice. How many newbies do this on anyone's engine?

Tightening or resealing the muffler is typical fare.

Then of course not using the correct fuel, with the correct glow plug, and the correct
propeller....using the correct break-in and of course the correct tuning procedures....
As also applies to all engines, except those that arrive supposidly already broken in such as the Evolution PTS engines.

....the "first timer" has little chance at sucess.

The OS line of LA engines are designed for new enthuiast's. They are not as high strung,
fussy, or hard to tune.

FBD.
I wouldn't go as far as the "first timer has little chance of success", but let's say that they may need help getting the engine set up properly.

The LA's have those HORRIBLE "bleed" carbs which can be impossible to tune.

I've got one that simply runs too rich in the low end. I have the low end screw fully open, and I've already enlarged the bleed air hole as much as I'll risk w/o ruining the engine.

Talk about a "fussy" carb!

And the carb came with the seal not seated.

I'll never buy another LA, the AX's are much better and a snap to tune.

Meanwhile I won't think twice about another T.H. .46 or GMS ( who makes the T.H. engines ).

Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Super D

Another positive vote for the Tower 75. Runs as well or better than any of the 10+ OS engines I've owned. My favorite engine in the fliton extra 330.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 AM
masonman

the th 61 is a great one aswell
Old 05-15-2007, 09:04 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

I have 2 60's and a 75. The only problem I've had with them is that the carb doesn't seal completely when closed. The only problem is that the engine won't shut down. The 60 and 75 carburators are the same on Towers. They've been cheap reliable power for me.

Kerry
Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Flyboy Dave

The Tower carb must be down tight against the o-ring....or you will have
an air leak and never get it tuned right. Loosen the hold-down nut, put a piece
of wood over the carb, and tap it down tight against the o-ring, then retighten the
holding nut.

You can move the main needle from the rear position up to the front for a better
mixture control. Make suure you have no lint or debris in the carb main needle.

When it is right, the Tower carb is very easy to tune.

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30578.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	685416  
Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 AM
ranger351w

Good day
I posted on this site about the th75 before I bought one this winter and I will have to say I heard a lot of bad things. They almost talked me out of it which would have been a big mistake. I bought one and have not regretted it as it runs extremly hard,starts good, idles well, and transitions great. nough said. I am going to go against the nay sayers and roll the dice again buy a TH46 and if they are right they can say I told you so. Can't follow forever!!

And yes I own a OS 46fxi and it is a great motor with the same attributes of the th 75. Also an expensive Saito 100 that runs as well as the other two but it seems the exhaust manifold pipe breaks off a lot. cure buy a lot of spare pipes, not just mine does this either. No wrecks or hard landings and only 8 or 10 flights on fourstar 60. I am odering several pipes as other members at the club have the same problem.

But thats just me
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.