Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 91 FX Break In?

Old 03-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS 91 FX Break In?

I just received my OS 91 Fx and would like to break it in right before I install in my Edge. This is the first ringed engine I've owned. I read the instructions and it said to run it 4 stroking for awhile then 2 stroking for awhile. back and forth. I thought I read on hear sometime ago that you break a ringed engine very rich at full throttle for a few tanks. I plan on using 10% with 20% castor/syn blend. I'd like to break this engine in right and would like it to last me awhile. I figured you guys could point me in the right direction. Thanks
Old 03-17-2006, 08:20 PM
loughbd
Banned

Default RE: OS 91 FX Break In?

I would think that a company that has been making engines for 70 years and made your engine would know how to properly break it in. That's why they have instructions.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:38 PM
RaceCity

Follow the instructions, and you'll be fine. Just don't let it overheat, and sag. That's not good.

Nice motor....have fun with it.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kaos Krazy

I read the instructions and it said to run it 4 stroking for awhile then 2 stroking
for awhile. back and forth. I thought I read on hear sometime ago that you
break a ringed engine very rich at full throttle for a few tanks.
The instructions are correct. Warm it up, and run it back and forth between
full peak, and then four stroke it for a few seconds to let it cool off. Don't run
it too rich, too long. The only time the engine is breaking in properly is when
it has almost maximum pressure on the ring.

Don't baby it too much....peak it up, and let it run full blast for about 20 seconds
at a time.

FBD.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:36 AM
downunder

It was suggested to me once that I start a topic on running in ringed engines and I thought about calling it
The one and only way to run in a ringed engine and if you don't do it MY way you'll ruin it!

But, like an ABC, there's no "set in stone" way to do it. However, I'd definitely suggest that at least the first tank be done absolutely slobbering rich. That keeps everything (including the rings) nice and cool and helps flush out any crud that might be left by the machining. After that, take it up about to the point it's trying to break into a 2 stroke for another maybe 30 minutes. After that give it another tank or two at the same setting but pinch the line for a few seconds to let it rev up and get a bit of heat through things then cool again. Then go fly but keep it well on the rich side for some time. Never let it sag from overheating.

It's easy enough but takes more time than an ABC if you want to do it right. And I've even left out all the techno babble about heat treating, work hardening, softer and harder metals...
Old 03-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: downunder

It was suggested to me once that I start a topic on running in ringed engines and I thought about calling it
The one and only way to run in a ringed engine and if you don't do it MY way you'll ruin it!

But, like an ABC, there's no "set in stone" way to do it. However, I'd definitely suggest that at least the first tank be done absolutely slobbering rich. That keeps everything (including the rings) nice and cool and helps flush out any crud that might be left by the machining. After that, take it up about to the point it's trying to break into a 2 stroke for another maybe 30 minutes. After that give it another tank or two at the same setting but pinch the line for a few seconds to let it rev up and get a bit of heat through things then cool again. Then go fly but keep it well on the rich side for some time. Never let it sag from overheating.

It's easy enough but takes more time than an ABC if you want to do it right. And I've even left out all the techno babble about heat treating, work hardening, softer and harder metals...
THey did do that thread but changed the name to "ST 2300 Testing"
Old 03-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Thanks for all you input. I'll break it in bascically the same way the instructions stated, only run it very rich the first tank, then start 2 strokin. But I was looking forward to hearing to all the techno babble about heat treating, work hardening, softer and harder metals... [sm=lol.gif]