Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Hanger 9 P51 60 Size

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:07 PM
ajensen3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 P51 60 Size

I have a 60 size Hanger 9 P51 ready to go except I can't get the Satio 100 to run. Everytime I fuel up the fuel pours into the carb and I get hydro locked.

The fuel tank is installed where Hanger 9 wanted it. It appears that the C/L of the tank is about even with the spray bar on the carb.
I have a third line in the tank for fueling.

I'm using a Keleo muffler that causes a lot of back pressure but I've closed down the low speed adjustment to compensate for that.

Anyone else have this problem?

Help!

Thanks, ajensen3
Old 04-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Harry Lagman

Default RE: Hanger 9 P51 60 Size

I have exactly the same combo as you, with the fuel tank in the standard location. I mounted the engine exactly where H9 suggested, fully inverted. To fuel mine, I disconnect the fuel line to the carb and use that, therefore during the fueling process, the carb is isolated.

I don't have any problems with syphoning at all. The engine idles reliably at about 2000 rpm.

Have you broken the engine in and have you dialed your low speed needle in for a reliable idle? The factory settings on Saitos are notoriously rich.

Also, how are you fueling it? Do you have a tee junction into your fuel feed into which you fuel the tank? Do you have a three line setup?

Let us know.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:43 PM
ajensen3

Thanks for the fast reply. I haven't been able to get my engine started yet so it hasn't been run. I do have a third line to the fuel tank. Do you have the Keleo Muffler? I'll lean everthing out even more and try it again tomorrow. Thanks, ajensen3
Old 04-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Harry Lagman

Actually, I must apologise - my combo is not exactly the same, because I forgot to mention that I'm using the OEM Saito muffler. However, it sounds like yours is flooding before you even turn the engine over.

You might have to try disconnecting or using a haemostat on the tank-to-carb line to isolate the carb when fueling. I just used a simple two line setup on mine and looped the carb line outside the cowl and inserted a Dubro Final Filter that I could disconnect to facilitate fueling. I broke my engine in while mounted in the aircraft with no problems with syphoning.

Good luck with yours - I'm sure it will work out OK once she's dialed in.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Harry Lagman

Just another thought about this problem - make sure your throttle is set to idle when you are refueling. If the carb is wide open, it's a lot easier for a syphon to take place through the main circuit than the idle circuit.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:09 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I beleive your vent line and fill line are reversed. Swap them out and you should be okay.
Let us know if it worked, and also do as stated above and make sure the throttle is totaly closed when fueling.
good luck
d
Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
ajensen3

The fuel lines are hooked up the way they should be. I use a three line set up--the vent and two lines with klunks--one for the carb and the other for filling and draining. I've done this with my 120 Size Stinger and an inverted Saito 150 and never had a problem. The only difference is that I lowered the tank in my Stinger. I'll try the other suggestions before I lower the tank. I think the Keleo muffler is part of the problem. Thanks for your help.

ajensens
Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ive had mine on wrong a couple a times....dont know how I did it but.........same problem occured. Good luck with it....
d
Old 04-18-2006, 10:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I doubt the muffler has anything to do with it, I have that combo on my Miss A and it doesn't flood, the low end needle though was ridiculously rich from the factory though, everything on the plane and most of my helper were covered in oil for the first few runs.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:40 PM
ajensen3

Thanks to everone who responded. I leaned the low end down to next to nothing and kept the throttle and trim closed until after fueling and is runs beautiful. ajensen3
Old 04-19-2006, 01:54 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You must pinch off the line to the carb or disconnect it. You are both filling the tank and filling the engine with your current setup. What have you done with the breather line from the rear case cover?

Old 04-19-2006, 05:40 AM
ajensen3

You are correct, I found that I had to pinch off the line to the carb.

I attached a piece of fuel line to the crankcase vent and let it hang just below the cowl.

Everything is working fine now.

Thanks, ajensen3