Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How do you preserve an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you preserve an engine?

I have a vintage OS FS 60 with the oen rocker arms. It has alittle fuel disscoloring and i need to put it away for awhile, first how can i get the color off and how should i put this motor away?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: How do you preserve an engine?

I think most guys would recommend that you put it in the crock pot with antifreeze to remove the stains. You might try some solvent and a nylon brush to remove goop, instead of ruining a crock pot. Once you put antifreeze in a crock pot--don't ever cook in it again. You can buy a cheap crock pot at walmart for $15 if you want to avoid ruining relations with your wife by using her good crock pot.

After you clean it up, I'd put a good oil inside it, and coat the rockers. More oil is better, if you plan to store it for a few years. You can always clean the oil off when you take it out of storage. Maybe something like air tool oil or even automatic transmision fluid. Then seal it up in a ziplock bag and place it in the box or put it inside an old plastic butter container and snap the lid on.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Ernie Misner

For real storage, oil evaporates over time. ATF (Dexron III), is the ticket.

Ernie
Old 04-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Globemaster3c17

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrapping the engine in paper before storage is also a good idea. The paper would absorb moisture instead of it getting on the metal and rusting.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:35 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Globemaster3c17

Wrapping the engine in paper before storage is also a good idea. The paper would absorb moisture instead of it getting on the metal and rusting.
Be careful though, a lot of paper is quite acidic and that could cause blemishes on the engine over time if the humidity got high enough.

Cosmoline is the stuff -- it's a kind of grease designed to protect metals from rust (used on firearms for long-term storage). The downside is that you have to strip things down and wash them in kerosene or gasoline to get the stuff off.

One thing I would do is put the engine in a plastic bag with a few sachets of dessicant so that any moisture in the trapped air is absorbed. Dry air = no rust.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:20 PM
HitecMan

Ill try to put it in a airtight bag.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you can get some Corrosion X, put some in the crankcase and on the valve train and it will look like new 10 years from now if you store it that long. Even if there is castor in it, the castor won't set up with the CX in it.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Flylow

I stored a Saito 56 that had many gallons of fuel through it. Put a lot of Marvel Mystery Oil for Air Tools in the cylinder, crankcase and the throttle barrel. Stuck this in an open zip lock bag for about two years. The bag was just to keep oil from getting on other things. Stuck it on a new plane and it started right up and ran great.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:07 PM
HitecMan

What are the steps to getting the oil off in a crock pot. I love marvels mystry oil.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:09 PM
HitecMan

If you can let the steps be spacific cause i have never done this before and i dont want to ruin a motor.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Flylow

I've always used the "air tool" version of MM Oil. I think it displaces water better. If you do a search using "crock pot" you will find more info than you need. I've never used the crock pot method.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:57 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Best method I've found to store an engine was on a plane and in the air as much as possible...I'm just sayin...
Old 04-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

Depends on how long you want to store it. Long term? put the engine in a mason jar, fill with MM air tool oil, seal and put on the shelf. I stored a Webra 61 for almost 20 years like that. Came out like new and ran as good as it did in 1970!

Phil
Old 04-24-2006, 02:12 AM
Ernie Misner

Just put the crock pot on low setting, so not to boil, or the antifreeze can damage parts. Strip the engine of carb and let soak overnight! Rinse with water the next morning and immediately oil it good.

Ernie