Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tiger Shark .52 - carb problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 05:34 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger Shark .52 - carb problems?

A friend has a TS-52 mounted on my (former) Ultra Stick .40. He brought it out for the first time three weeks ago.

It was tight! It took us nearly 45 minutes to get it started because we couldn't get it to turn past the pinch at TDC! We pulled the head and backplate just to be sure than nothing had broken loose - it was fine.

After shimming up the glow plug with an extra washer and a few squirts of oil we got it fired up. I set the main needle to a solid 2-stroke with a nice light smoke trail and took off. I didn't touch the low needle. Running 15% fuel and an 11x7 prop.

It ran great! Plenty of power, and I didn't have to touch the needles again. Impressive for a "bargain" engine.

After the first couple of flights, we ran into a problem. The carb barrel started jamming once the engine warmed up. He had two hair-raising flights during in which the carb jammed just above idle. He had just barely enough power to keep the plane airborne coming upwind (downwind flight was very touch-and-go), but too much power to land. After he first bad flight we pulled the carb out and manually worked the barrel to free it up. Fired up again, and the carb jammed after less than a minute. Luckily it was still on the ground. Packed it up, put it away for the week.

Yesterday he brought the plane out again. We noticed from the previous weekend that the stock throttle pushod was a little too flexible, so he changed it for a more substantial one. We fired it up and ran it on the ground for a bit - no jamming. He took off, flew around for a bit (again, the engine ran perfectly!) WHen he pulled the throttle back to land the carb jammed at high idle again Too much power to land; not enough to climb.

He was extremely lucky on the landing - there are several sets of metal bleachers downwing of our field - he ended up landing the plane by sliding it onto one of the benches... no damage besides a scratch on the muffler. Didn't even break the prop.

Great sound effects when he hit.
<sputter...sputter> <clank! clank!> <scraaaaaaape>
<silence>

(The two clanks were made by the prop hitting the bench)

We disassembled the carb again. No evidence of scoring, no burrs visible (or felt), no bits of grit. Once again, the carb worked freely once it cooled off.

He's planning on polishing the carb barrel with some 1200-grit compound in order to reduce its O.D. slightly, but I'm not sure that's the best idea - he might end up with a leaky carb.

Has anyone else has had a similar problem with these engines?
Old 01-04-2003, 02:34 PM
grs34
My Feedback: (48)

Default Tiger Shark .52 - carb problems?

Did you ever find out why the carb kept getting stuck?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:45 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Tiger Shark .52 - carb problems?

I have this same engine and I have never had any trouble like this. It was as you said very stiff until it was broke in, but after the break end period about 6 tanks it now runs with the best of them. I did have trouble with an older tigershark 46 red head engine when I first got it. I could not get it to idle at all. Not matter what I did it kept loading up before I could get into the air. I called Tigershark because it was still under warranty and they just sent me another carb. That fixed the problem and it has been a great engine since then.. That was two years ago. Since then I have bought 2 more Tigershark engines (52 & 46) and both are great running engines.

The warranty on these engines is two years. If it is still under warranty try talking to your Tigershark dealer.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2003, 12:38 PM
wldcwbypilot

Look at the slot cut for the guide screw, check it for a sharp edge that might catch the screw or carb body. I would get some 1000 or finer grit emory paper and work the edge round also may polish the barrel to a mirror finish and also the inside of the carb body.
wra
Old 11-07-2003, 05:53 PM
rockmon

Visioneer, I have a few TS engines and none have had that problem, my 52 runs fantastic. The guy's at Kangke/Tiger Shark are a great bunch of guy's and if you get ahold of them they will make it right, I had an issue with the carb on a 91, they sent it u.p.s and it was here in a couple of days, they told me to keep the other carb. One thing about the high end setting on my 52 and my friends is at 2 1/2 turns out it seems right, but it's not, I turn it out to 3 1/2 and lean it a bit from there. I'm glad I caught that right away on the test stand or it might have cooked.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:15 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got my TS52 running the other day. Once I got the needles set I didnt have to touch them. This engine screams pretty good!! Im getting over 12,500 on a 12.25x3.75! Id buy another one!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35550.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	73429  
Old 08-02-2006, 03:00 PM
duckling

Comparing the weight of the Tiger Shark .91 engine to the O.S. .91 FX and the Evolution 1.00NX, TS is about 5 to 6 oz. heavier. Do you guys have to change the CG when this minimal weight difference. I ask because I heard good things about TS and it's price is low compare to the others I mentioned.