Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

OS VS SAITO 4 STORKE - What are the differences ???

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS VS SAITO 4 STORKE - What are the differences ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Dave :^)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS VS SAITO 4 STORKE - What are the differences ???

Hi all,
was out flying last night, FA-65 (6 flights never touched needle) O.M. Ken (40 years+ experience) with OS48 surpass (25 mins fiddling with carb, 0 flights) I know this is a bit extreme but I think I've adjusted the Saito once this year. The only other four stroke I'd even consider has to be a Laser.
Dave :^)
Old 06-08-2006, 12:11 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: XJet

ORIGINAL: stelios
OS run smoother compared to Saitos.
Stelios
I think that's solely because the OS is a heavier motor so there's less vibration. My Saitos run like a Swiss watch at idle and are very strong when WFO.
Can't be the weight in the case of the engines the original question asked about; because the Saito is heavier than the OS.

From Torque Wrench:
Weights
Saito .56==15.9oz
OS .52===15.4oz
Old 06-08-2006, 11:47 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: torque wrench

Jett et al, I ran a test of the OS .52, Saito .56 and RCV .58.
Hi Torque Wrench,

Thanks a million for doing that test and posting those figures ! That helps me immensly, I will definately be going with the Saito. I will be running a velocity stack on the Saito which will make it even more efficient, so I should get quite a bit more run time from it than with the OS.

JettPilot

Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks JP, if I can find a few minutes to blow in the next couple of days I will throw the Enya .53 into the mix. I see that it is being discussed in another thread.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 AM
Volcanxxx

OS is the best, if you want to spend more time on tuning and heli fuel get a Saito
Old 09-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Hobbsy

You only have to tune a Saito once, that doesn't make them the best, the fact that you can't wear a Saito out does.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saito replacement parts are generally in stock at Horizon and not too highly priced. OS parts seem to be more expensive and not all parts are available (from Tower).
Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Hobbsy

Too many folks here have had the opposite experience and will not buy into Volcan's unfounded statement.

JP, what you say is true.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:29 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason people continually tweak needles is generally because they don't know what they are doing. Sometimes it's a finicky engine, but not that often.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:01 AM
Hobbsy

When you get good at reading between the lines, the "finicky" part applies to the owners.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:43 PM
blw

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
When you get good at reading between the lines, the "finicky" part applies to the owners.
You are right about that. I should have said something like engines with a slight problem somewhere.

We have a guy in the club that can't stop himself from screwing the needle valves in and out on every engine he owns every time he cranks them up. He's got some other bad habits too. He's the only person I ever saw make W8YE get mad.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:22 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by blw
The reason people continually tweak needles is generally because they don't know what they are doing. Sometimes it's a finicky engine, but not that often.
It's easier to tell them they don't know jack about tuning a saito,bugger off and practice on an plain bearing os46 ya mongrel.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have both and I like both. Can't say I have had a complaint with either brand. I also use YS and love them as well. I think the OS cylinder and head when exposed in say a cub or such look more scale than the Saito. However when your attempting to hide the single cylinder in a dummy radial the Saito looks more like it belongs.

Saito has the cylinder and head as one piece eliminating the need for head bolts or gaskets. OS on the other hand has a head and cylinder held together with head bolts of course. Strip out the threads on an exhaust port and with the OS you replace the head. With a Saito you have to replace the cylinder/head casting.

They both run flawlessly in my opinion and I'm happy to own either. Sometimes you people are just plain silly

Dennis
Old 09-26-2015, 03:26 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
Off subject.

Dave, yesterday I saw a beautifully restored Farmall. I will take a pic and send it to you. It's for sale, shall I make an offer for you?

The very best to you and yours,
Richard
Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 AM
Hobbsy

I'll look forward to the picture, right now I'm restoring/rescuing a Craftsman Statesman 38" 12.5 hp lawnmower. It's only saving grace is it's excellent running engine.

I just received a Saito FA .40a in the mail yesterday, all I've done so far is fondle it and admire.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:02 AM
jeffie8696

I run both and I have had good luck with them. My Saito 62 is very sensitive to needle but it is the only Saito I have every had any trouble with. I have a Saito 1.00 on my 60 size Escapade which I will be flying today. My OS40Surpass on my Dazzler is a great combo, very predictable. The OS70Surpass on my Sukhoi took some breaking in and adjustment but it settled down and pulled that plane around great. I could go on about my Saito 50 and 45 and 40 and my OS26 but I think you get the point, both are great brands
Old 01-13-2019, 02:28 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since this thread has been sputtering along since 2006, and it is still relevant, I thought I would chime in. I've had a good number of both Saito and OS over the years including the early open rocker type of each, and have no complaints about either. I think a lot of the trouble people have with fiddling with needle settings has to do with changing fuel type, or prop size, or using old fuel, or temperature change. Some engines seem to like a very narrow range of props, and others you can put anything on them and get them to spin. Other things that can cause difficult tuning are fuel tank set-up and poor muffler pressure. My avatar shows a Kadet Sr. with two old OS FS .61's, one with a reverse cam, and they could easily be tuned to be in sync and with straight exhaust and no tank pressure. The FS .61 must be a good engine if it was chosen by Maynard Hill to power the Spirit of Butts Farm across the Atlantic in 2003. quite an accomplishment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sp..._Butts%27_Farm
Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 PM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a plane with two Surpass 40's running counter rotation. Did you notice a difference in turning performance in your setup? I found it made a difference in that the plane turned either way without dropping or raising the nose.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:49 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Since this thread has been sputtering along since 2006, and it is still relevant, I thought I would chime in. I've had a good number of both Saito and OS over the years including the early open rocker type of each, and have no complaints about either. I think a lot of the trouble people have with fiddling with needle settings has to do with changing fuel type, or prop size, or using old fuel, or temperature change. Some engines seem to like a very narrow range of props, and others you can put anything on them and get them to spin. Other things that can cause difficult tuning are fuel tank set-up and poor muffler pressure. My avatar shows a Kadet Sr. with two old OS FS .61's, one with a reverse cam, and they could easily be tuned to be in sync and with straight exhaust and no tank pressure. The FS .61 must be a good engine if it was chosen by Maynard Hill to power the Spirit of Butts Farm across the Atlantic in 2003. quite an accomplishment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sp..._Butts%27_Farm
Could not agree more. Add to that, the YS engines that oh so many whine about. Funny thing, when someone complains about Saito, to them it is a finicky owner. When they ,themselves have a problem with YS, it's all the engine's fault. More problem owners than problem enines in most cases.
Gotta just sit back and grin sometimes.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 AM
Hobbsy

When I sold my 4 YS engines, I sat down and played and sang Roy Clark's song, Thank God and Greyhound your gone.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 AM
Jesse Open

Like I said

Running them since the very ealry1980s . Never regretted learning the differences. Great engines. The idle and transition alone make them worth having. The edded power, flexibilty in tank size and location are welcome bonuses.

Thankfully I was not present for your Moosicalshow
Old 01-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 706jim
I have a plane with two Surpass 40's running counter rotation. Did you notice a difference in turning performance in your setup? I found it made a difference in that the plane turned either way without dropping or raising the nose.
My OS with the counter-rotating cam seems to run identical to normal. just make sure the prop nut is on good and tight.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:27 PM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree about the engine performance. And I never had any problem with prop nuts coming loose. I had to run APC pusher props which worked fine but looked pretty ugly mounted backwards.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:08 PM
Rudolph Hart

I have to disagree jim,if apc props look average,and they do,that would put grey graupner props in to the 'needs plastic surgery' class automatically.

Flight risk a slow learner is a slow learner,take me for example.Made the same mistakes with variations just to confuse myself,obviously,and make the steep learning curve more entertaining for the first few years cheers
Old 01-15-2019, 05:04 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
I have to disagree jim,if apc props look average,and they do,that would put grey graupner props in to the 'needs plastic surgery' class automatically.

Flight risk a slow learner is a slow learner,take me for example.Made the same mistakes with variations just to confuse myself,obviously,and make the steep learning curve more entertaining for the first few years cheers
So true.

Like Stan Laurel says:

" You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead."

Last edited by Jesse Open; 01-15-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.