Exhaust Deflector options

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Deflector options

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Drill a 1/16 hole through the deflector and the muffler outlet, run stainless steel safety wire through the hole and twist the ends. I think my wire is .043" but I'm not sure. This is a TT-61 Pro muffler and a Hobbico deflector.
[/quote]

Ahh. The"safet wire" solution! If all else fails, resort to the safety wire. I keep a roll of it in my tool box. I have been retired from the military now some 16 plus years and it is about to run out. Mine is 30 thousand stainless steel. Don't know what I am gonna do when it is all used up.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 AM
2ManyHobbiesWI

Ouch! So I used a DuBro exhaust deflector, secured it with the new clamp and for the first five minutes it worked great. After that I noticed that the deflector was moving a bit more than before and after a few more minutes it melted off completely! I was running the engine rich for break in so it was not overly lean leading to excessively hot exhaust. Wow, anyone else ever seen this? I guess it is off to the hardware store to find some copper tubing!

Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM
wesson

ORIGINAL: 2ManyHobbiesWI

Ouch! So I used a DuBro exhaust deflector, secured it with the new clamp and for the first five minutes it worked great. After that I noticed that the deflector was moving a bit more than before and after a few more minutes it melted off completely! I was running the engine rich for break in so it was not overly lean leading to excessively hot exhaust. Wow, anyone else ever seen this? I guess it is off to the hardware store to find some copper tubing!

Yup. Had the same thing happen to me on my OS .90 two stroker. I solved my deflector problem by using a standard 45 degree 1/2 inch copper water pipe coupler. The inside diameter of the coupler was just slightly larger than the exhaust outlet on the standard OS muffler. I simply made one cut across the end of one of the copper pipe openings, slipped the pipe on to the exhaust and clamped it with a 3/4 inch aviation/automotive/water clamp. It’s worked for me for two years with no problems.

Wesson

Old 07-13-2006, 04:53 PM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using a very small diameter (.032 ?) cotter pin through the Dubro deflector and exhaust outlet of my Saito 72. After about 10 flights it has not yet melted, but you guys have me worried now.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
buzzingb

Many have had the same problem you are having. I tried an automotive fuel hose on my engines and it didn't melt and seemed to be more suited to clamping (firmer) therefore allowing it to stay in place better. Also use some high temp rtv and maybe some wire as someone suggested. If the fuel tube doesn't work try the copper pipe with JB Weld and safety wire. If all this doesn't yield a reliable extension you need expert help.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:36 PM
2ManyHobbiesWI

Well the copper tubing looks promising. However it looks like the back section of the Magnum muffler rotates. Does anyone know if the back section of Magnum mufflers are screw type or just pressed in? I never noticed it before I attached the copper.

On another note, where would one go for professional help with this muffler issue?