Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS 160 DZ

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:41 PM
AussiePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 160 DZ

hi guys i just purchased one of these motors for my new cap gp 27% Now i was just wondering where i can get my hands on a side mounted pitts ( Slimline ) Muffler
i cant seem to find them any where

Thanks guys

Also do u guys think this motor is an over kill for this plane.??or do u recommend the 140dz.??? i have always wanted a 4 stroke they recommend an os 1.60 though if the 140DZ is more powerful than the os ill go for that, but im so undersided,
all ur help would be appreciated
Old 07-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Pepe J
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: YS 160 DZ

The 160 DZ would be my first choice. They are thirsty units thou and like a diet of 20+% nitro.

Any mail order outfit (perhaps Tower Hobbies) that handles Slimline products should be able to get you a muffler. I used a Slimline Pitts to fit an OS 120 and machined a exhaust adapter stud to fit the YS head.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95966.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	488133  
Old 07-07-2006, 10:08 AM
bla bla

I wouldn't use that engine at all.
They're specifically designed for F3A. Piped, soft mounted, run using the correct fuel and opperated by people that have prior YS experience and carry the necessary spar parts.
Their fame has led to their popularity within a sports market.
I've ran YS engines for 9 years... what you need for that plane is a Mkoi 210.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

I am running a 160DZ with a KMP header pipe. I have no experience with the OS 160 but based on the tach readings that I have seen the YS is a bunch stronger, and I am sure that you would be very happy with it. Here are some general comments-

The engine hits very hard and a vibration mount is recommended. But a vibration mount means that the engine will be free to move around a good bit so make sure your cowl cutouts leave plenty of room. You will need remote glow or the motion will throw or break the glow starter. And secure your exhaust back to the engine case for additional support if possible (don't rely on the exhaust port threads alone).

Very little break-in is required for reliable operation. I set mine at a rich peak and flew after the first tank of fuel. Setting it too rich, as in noticably lower than peak RPMs, may result in inconsistent performance.

I run 30% heli and with a 24 oz tank get 10 minute flight times with plenty of reserve. The foam clunk that comes with the engine works very well, I have run my tank all but dry once or twice with no problems at all. Remember to plumb the fuel lines like a gasser with an open tank vent since there is no pressure connection from the exhaust.

You will need a HD starter to crank the engine, either 24V or gear reduction. A standard 12V starter won't even come close.

Walt
Old 07-08-2006, 05:48 AM
AussiePilot

i didnt think this motor had too much vibrations, man this is getting harder and harder decision, basically i dont want to spend any more money on motor mounts and so fourth and i guess the gp mount that comes with my plane wont be good enough... do u think this will do.??? or when i mount my engine mount to the firewall ill see if i can find some Rubber washers.? that may be the idea.??? or i just leave it and see how she goes.?
and where would i get a motor exhaust for this motor.??
Old 07-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Kema

Have you considered gas engine?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Like bla bla says the 160DZ is kind of a special engine, maximum performance in a very small package which is why the pattern guys really like it. The DZ works great in my Mustang because it fits in the small cowl and makes the plane a rocket. But it does require special treatment. Also the big YS does not set up or act like a regular 4-stroke, so if you have any problems with it you can't rely on the guys at the field that fly Saitos for help.

If I was going to put together a 28% CAP I would probably go with gas since there is plenty of cowl to work with.

That said.. the 160DZ is a real powerhouse and my experience with it has been great. Super idle, transition and awesome power.

You can certainly try using a good conventional mount, but reinforce everything to make the plane as vibration-proof as you can. Rubber washers are a waste of time and could only cause problems. Even with a solid mount you will want remote glow. And the muffler should be secured. And you will need a heavy-duty starter. The engine can't really be started by hand because it needs to spin to get the pump primed.

Walt
Old 07-08-2006, 11:45 AM
bla bla

I think youre going to have a 650buck turkey on your hands unless you get together with some guys that have Competition experience with that engine.
You say that this is your first try with a 4 stroke? It's going to be a dread full experience mate.
You've going to be needin 30% cool power heli, don't listen to those that say you don't, you need real comp' headers and pipes, don't listen to those that say you don't, you need the correct mount and nose rings... at least a $125 Hyde... and thats the real cheap option! You need a heavy duty starter, an easy start glow system the slowly warms up the plug as the engine is turning unless you want to be popin' valves, throwin' props, crushing spinners. Possibly you'll be needing a header tank system depending on your layout, foam clunk in the tank... the list go on an on... Cracking engine though!

Get yourself into the correct company or get yourself a standard OS/ Saito etc and discover 4 strokes that way. For many folks, even that is a serious learning curve after 2 strokes.
By the way you'll be able to sell the 1.60 and not really loose much, if anything...but don't fire it up. Folks want be paying much for one of those thats been opperated by someone without experience.
What ever you do, be care full and have fun.
Good on you'
Old 07-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

I think youre going to have a 650buck turkey on your hands unless you get together with some guys that have Competition experience with that engine.
Well its really not hard, just different. The 160 is not sensitive to needle settings but you do have to understand the proper adjustments to make. Experience with the smaller YS engines helps. YS engines in general have their own needs and their own set of "tricks" that are just a bit different than the others. I actually find break in and setup for YS's (including the 160) a whole lot easier than for Saitos.

You say that this is your first try with a 4 stroke? It's going to be a dread full experience mate.
You've going to be needin 30% cool power heli, don't listen to those that say you don't, you need real comp' headers and pipes, don't listen to those that say you don't, you need the correct mount and nose rings... at least a $125 Hyde... and thats the real cheap option! You need a heavy duty starter, an easy start glow system the slowly warms up the plug as the engine is turning unless you want to be popin' valves, posibly header tank systen depending on your layout, foam clunk in the tank... the list go on an on.
I agree, 30% heli is the way to go. But exhaust setup is not that critical especially since you don't need a pressure tap for tank pressure. I run open exhaust pipes on my smaller YS engines, and the KMP header (no muffler) on the 160. A vibration mount is not at all necessary for 110 and smaller YS engines, but I do use a Hyde mount for the 160 (no nose ring though). Yes a HD starter is a requirement for the 160. Yes engaging the glow after getting the engine spinning is a good idea on the 160, but the glow power does not need to be ramped up to slowly warm the plug. The foam clunk comes with the engine, no big deal there. And that about covers it.

No I really wouldn't recommend a 160DZ as a first 4-stroke engine, but then again I wouldn't recommend a Saito 220 as a first 4-stroke engine either. And going gas comes with its own learning curve.

Anyone that is good with engines and does the proper research should have no problem with the 160DZ.

Walt
Old 07-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

One last comment, if you decide to stick with the big YS check out Central Hobbies website. They sell all the stuff needed to set the engine up correctly. I don't know if there is an equivalent in OZ. Also do a search in the RCU Pattern forum for info. Here is one that I found useful about propping and starting methods: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1200422/mpage_1/key_160DZ/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1200422/mpage_1/key_160DZ/tm.htm[/link]

Like I said if you are good with engines and do the proper research the DZ will work great. But if you need to rely on others at the field to help you then gas is a better choice.

Walt
Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 AM
AussiePilot

well basically i want somethiing better than the recomended Os 1.60 for my cap 27% by Gp im looking for vertical unlimited would like a 4 stroke but if Ys's are temperamental ill rather stick with something alot familiar, i looked at the saitio 220 but seems too heavy and im not sure if its as powerful then the os, The reason im here asking you guys is becuse i have never gone BIG ie this is my first big model i have heaps of 2 stroke experience and about 10 planes under my belt, i just looking for a great combo that will gie me 3d, and i dont think the 0s 1.60 is capable in doing so

this is what im thinking so far just jkeep in mind that i want vertical unlimited
Saito FA-180GK 4-Stroke which seems a bit lighter but not sure about the power.
thanks in advance
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 AM
bla bla

The OS 1.60 is a fantastic engine.
Many people use that instead of YS in their F3A planes.
I wwould believe it has plenty of power for that airplane.
A Saito 1.80 was a lovely engine, one would think the 210 would be even better do a search.
The YS will give you the power you need... wouldn't belive it was that much more than the OS 1.60... if any.
The YS needs a dedicated exhust system. I just don't buy it when folks use something that intended for a 1.20! sure it may work... but just how well?
Some people run them open, I've done it myself and it's a blast for 10mins, then the sound just becomes madning... you end up sounding and looking like a Hill Billy.
That isn't a cirticism to those that enjoy opperate their engine that way... but it aint cool in my opinion.

What ever you do have fun.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:40 AM
Flyer95
My Feedback: (1)

Aussiepilot,
Why not try the Saito220? I have one of these beasts but havent run it yet[]. This engine is made for the this type of flying/airplanes and saitos dont need any more than 10% nitro to run absolutely perfect. On the stock mufflers the 220 is stronger than the OS160, and thats not very strange because Saito is 0,60 cu.in. or 10cc bigger. And if you compare the weight including the muffler the difference is not much at all.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:14 AM
AussiePilot

Do u thik the 180 saito will be a better combination its a bit lighter and looks like its a lot more powerful..than the os??
Old 07-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Flyer95

What is the overall weight and wingspann for your plane?
I am also a happy owner of the Saito 180 and this engine turns a APC17x8@8400 slightly rich on 10% nitro and 20% oil. I read one OS160 owner said his engine turned this prop @8700 with the stock muffler so the performance is almost the same, OS beeing slightly stronger but also heavier. For the OS you will probably need a pump/regulator if you want to hover with a big prop up front.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:43 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

The OS 160FX will turn a APC 18X6 at a minimum of 9000 rpm on 5% nitro/20% oil with a Bisson ST4500/OS BGX pitts muffler. I am running a APC 19X8 on my 160FX but haven't tached it with this prop yet. It does not need a regulator or pump to run properly if the tank is directly behind the firewall, same as the Saito 180.

If you need more power and don't mind taking the time to break in an engine, go for a Moki/Mark 210. It will run on 0% nitro and make goobs of power, more power with less fuel than the YS 160DZ.

You may want to go for a BME 50 or other gas engine.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Per the GP site your plane will probably weigh in at around 14 lbs (79" span)

The 160 DZ is a whole lot stronger than a 180 Saito and it would provide way more than enough power. The 180 Saito would fly the plane fine but not with great authority. I can't speak for the Saito 220 or OS 160.

Bla bla and I have some different opinons, but we do agree that setup is a lot different for the DZ and you are not likely to find good help for it at the field. If this is a big concern for you then gas would be my next thought. But I am certainly not a gas engine expert so someone else would be better giving you a recommendation for this option.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:38 AM
AussiePilot

well yuh i guess ur right guys im thinking i should go with something like a da 50.?? what do u all think about this.??
Old 07-11-2006, 05:05 AM
Flyer95

You said you wanted to try fourstrokes? otherwise the moki 180/210 as the skypilot suggested or the OS160 on a tuned pipe should be fine . 79" wingspann seems small for a 50cc gas engine and will give you higher wingloading than glow. 50cc gas also makes a lot of noise unless you put a header and cannister muffler on it and then the weight goes up another +10oz.
These two engines would be my first choices for maximum performance and moderate wingloading on such an small airplane.

Fourstroke Saito 220
Twostroke Moki/mark 180/220 or OS160 on a quiet pipe
Old 07-11-2006, 10:17 AM
PlaneKrazee

I don't know I would recommend the Saito without flying it. It could be a tremendous engine but I don't know, some people on this site have had good luck getting it to perform in the air and others are dissapointed. The Moki would be the most powerful, lightest weigh option when figuring the amount of fuel needed for a flight and not needing a cannister muffler or ignition battery.

If BME comes out with the 34 oz. BME 55 it would be a good gas choice but right now it is mith. That engine will require proper cooling baffles and never be run lean, it may not be a good first gasser.

What type of flying do you want to do? Scale, Imac, 3-D? The Moki in a 14 lb plane will be a missle in the verticle on 0-5% nitro.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 PM
bla bla

What have you decided to do Aussie pilot?
Stay with the YS. If so, get you some serious coaching and i'm sure it'll turn out OK.
Or sell it, save a bunch and use a big Saito?
Or go two stroke and save so much you'll be able to hire some top quality totty to keep you happy on your next business trip?
The OS 1.60 is a great engine, powerful, cheap, and demands nothing other the flicking.
A Moki they to are cheap but require some serious study and labour during the intensive running in period.
But once completed, they put out the horses with zero nitro, in a manner that simply defies belief!
I had the old 1.80, what a belter... the 2.10 must be off the scale.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:19 PM
AussiePilot

i looked at the moki Moki 210 35cc
And it is too heavy for my liking i may as well use a saito 220 i think im leaning more this way but i cant find a side mounted pitts style Exhaust do u think this motor is too big or haevy for this plane.?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:49 PM
PlaneKrazee

Buy the 220 and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:58 AM
AussiePilot

ok guys i just purchased the 220 after alot of serious thought, what do u guys think about this setup.?? this should make this plane one hot little 3der?? Just a quick question doesnt the weight scare u a little bit seems very heavy for such a light plane ( I have posted below.!!! ) Your feed back will be appreciated
Weight: 1115g (engine only), 1215g (with muffler)
Old 07-12-2006, 04:45 AM
bla bla

The weight wont be an issue at all. It'll be like having a team of horses pulling a one horse carrage!
Just set it up straight, tank behind the firewall, don't use a pump untill you're very happy/confident opperating the engine plain, straight... by the book so to speak.
You don't need any particular specialilst kit with the Saito, even the mufflers included, read the instruction and you'll be blown away.
You can use anything from 15% to 30% depanding on whats available which is nice.
Just ask around and confirm the starting techniques for that engine so you don't break your wrist in the classic, big 4stroke manner... If you install a horse, you have to expect it to kick like one, or four!
What are you going to do with the YS? Don't leave it on the self as they tend to go out of date rather quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.