Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Best Prop for ThunderTiger .46???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Prop for ThunderTiger .46???

I just finished breaking in a new TT .46 (my first TT) in on the test stand and am pretty impressed. I was only running an 11x6 APC but I am curious what range of props everyone is using? I am planning on using this in a .40 sized pattern plane.

I was getting a reliable idle around 2100-2200 and after priming the engine I was able to fire it off by bouncing it back off of compression on the second try (after four tanks). I have run five tanks of fuel through it but so far I am pretty happy. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Harry Lagman

Default RE: Best Prop for ThunderTiger .46???

Rusty,

That APC 11x6 is the exact prop I would start with for pattern type flying. It should pull around 12k static. I'd also try an APC 11x5 too, to see if she likes a few more revs.

Depending on how you fly, you may wish to experiment with a little more pitch/less diameter or more diameter/less pitch. Bolly props work well in that size range too.

The TT .46 is a great engine. I'm sure you'll enjoy it in that application.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:37 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I'm flying a Goldberg Tiger 2 with a TT.46 and an APC 11x6 prop. It is a great combination. I had one in a very large Porter ARF and the combination was what convinced me to use it in the Tiger.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:42 AM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

I will give it a go with the 11x6 APC and then experiment for there. It is going into an old Hobbico Spectrum that weights 5 1/2 pounds. Thanks for the help.

ORIGINAL: Harry Lagman

Rusty,

That APC 11x6 is the exact prop I would start with for pattern type flying. It should pull around 12k static. I'd also try an APC 11x5 too, to see if she likes a few more revs.

Depending on how you fly, you may wish to experiment with a little more pitch/less diameter or more diameter/less pitch. Bolly props work well in that size range too.

The TT .46 is a great engine. I'm sure you'll enjoy it in that application.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:27 AM
CrocEnd

10.5x 6.5 Bolly brown prop
VERY good balance out of the bag
Nice.