Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 100 Bearings Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Saito 100 Bearings Out

Have a Saito 100 appx 1 year old with lots of flights on it. When flying last week I noticed an unfamiliar noise coming from the engine.
Upon checking the prop hub for movement, I found there to be - up and down and side to side play in the prop shaft. I can only guess it may be do to the bearings going bad.

Has anyone had prior experience with bearings wearing out in Saito engines? If so, do you recommend replacing - or returning the engine to Horizon for servicing.

Thanks - Jaketab

Old 08-22-2006, 04:11 PM
wcmorrison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saito 100 Bearings Out

Replace them. You can get replace ments from several dealers as well as from the engine manufacturers. Just pay attention to disassembly, if you get in trouble, start another thread. Or do a search, several threads on timing the valve train are found on RCUniverse.

Best deal on bearings are from McIntosh in Arizona. Great service and good advice.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 08-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

From the sounds of things the bearings are very bad , you can change them yourself unless its a warranty deal.
To answer your question Yes I have notice bearing failures more in saitos than other brands ,but it seems like once there changed out to a good quality bearing there about the same .
rcbearings.com has your bearings in stock at a good price and you can also upgrade from the standard steel bearing and race to either Stainless or ceramic.

Let me asked you this,do you always run the engine dry after you get done flying for the day?
What fuel do you use ? %'s of oil and nitro .
Do you ever use afterun oil?

Any or all of these can lead to early bearing failure if not used correctly.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:41 PM
scratchonly

Go to "welcome to club saito" under glow engines, lots of good stuff there. Try a search on bearings.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Shogun

I've seen 2 100's have bearing issues, mine was one of them. Replacement wasn't hard and I have had no issues with the engine since. From what I could glean from the Horizon rep I talked to there was apparently a bad batch of bearings that went into some of the 100's, they sent me mine for free when I asked for the part numbers so I could buy them through my LHS. To say I was impressed with the service would have been an understatement.

I would suggest that you simply call them and get a set sent to you and replace them yourself. Like has been said earlier there are plenty of threads on the board here that have pics and all the info necessary to perform the changeout yourself.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:20 PM
AIRFREAK-1

I replaced the bearings in my Saito 100 with stainless steel bearings from boca bearings and have had no trouble since. Regards, Scott.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:03 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a link to RC-Bearings

http://www.mcintoshcentral.com/rc-be...8fa5c4c427f08e
Old 08-26-2006, 04:21 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AIRFREAK-1

I replaced the bearings in my Saito 1.00 with stainless steel bearings from Boca Bearings and have had no trouble since. Regards, Scott.
Scott,

Everything is OK, except the price you had to pay...

If you had gone shopping, [link=http://rc-bearings.com]RC-Bearings[/link] and Paul McIntosh, as noted by others, would have made a much better deal for you.

The same items, at just 1/2-1/3 of Boca's price.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:43 AM
gplarry

Has anyone ordered bearings from RC-Bearings?

Larry
Old 08-27-2006, 01:22 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been buying bearings from RC_Bearings since Paul was still in England, I have used no other source since.

Paul McIntosh (RC_Bearings) is on RCU as “DesertSkyModels.

Bill.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:58 PM
gplarry

Thanks for the reply.

I will give them a try.

Larry
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 AM
corkguykev

replace the bearings and you should be ok. also check the crankshaft end of your conrod, the bottom big end can get worn by the loose crankshaft not staying aligned during running. mine was loose in june 206 when my bearings packed up and i had to replace it as well because the bottom of the conrod was just starting to rub the bottom of the crankcase which could have led to disastrous results had i not noticed it in time. all fixed up and running perfect now.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:10 AM
powerlines

If you do not feel OK with changing them then just hollar at us. I for one would be glad change them for you. It's really easy if you are good with stuff like that.. The rc bearings have instructions on how to change them. That is a 100 for you. I have changed 3 100s already. Change them to ceramic and you won't have to do it again.. and it's just pennys more..

LATER