Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What happened to ENYA ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
FrancisPerson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to ENYA ?

I looked on the MRC web site and saw only one ENYA airplane engine. I called MRC and they said that when the stock was gone, ENYA would also be gone!!!!!!!!

I recently got a .45CX and it is beautiful. Should I put it on a plane or in a bank vault for safe keeping.

Who will carry ENYAs now??????????

Francis
Old 08-30-2006, 01:20 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What happened to ENYA ?

ORIGINAL: FrancisPerson

I looked on the MRC web site and saw only one ENYA airplane engine. I called MRC and they said that when the stock was gone, ENYA would also be gone!!!!!!!!

I recently got a .45CX and it is beautiful. Should I put it on a plane or in a bank vault for safe keeping.

Francis

-----------------

I haven't heard anything about who will be carrying Enya in the future as yet.

I'd put that engine on a model and fly it. I now have three .45CX engines (my favorite). Don't forget the secret - after you have ran the engine for a while in a rich two-cycle, as per Dar Zeelon's break-in regime, then you can begin to lean this engine a little more than you would an ABC, ringed or lapped piston engine. No, not until it sags, but not quite as rich as the aforementioned engines. If you do not, you will never see the power advantage that AAC truly provides. It is most noticable in a sustained vertical ascent. It will amaze you how this engine will pull a draggy, 6 lb. airplane straight up without sagging out, once broken-in. This is where this engine shines. Other engines may out turn it rpm wise, but they huff and puff when going straight up (lean). The AAC piston and liner of this engine stay very closely matched when leaner/hotter and keep on trucking. A 10x6 is the perfect prop. Run a dollop of castor oil in your fuel and do not lose the instructions. After a couple years of flying, you will need to disassemble the engine and clean up the sleeve with 000 steel wool and kerosene. This will restore the power. The procedure is described in the instructions.

Be careful around the engine regarding nicks and scratches and it will still be beautiful for collecting purposes. No one need know that the piston and liner have some time on them. This is my favorite two-stroke in the .40 to .53 sizes. There are engines that run a tad faster, but none will pull a model vertically like this baby. Unfortunately for 3D flyers, it is not timed well for spinning much more than a 10x6 prop. It will, but it doesn't come into its forte' until it is permitted to peak out. It is "old school", but in a way that will blow your mind. Put it on a Venus 40, or equivalent, and fly some pattern maneuvers with it.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:26 PM
richrd

Yea I hear you. As I just posted how to get an old one working I too seached the whole web the only place that carried them were over the pond. Parts are starting to look tough to get.
Rich
Old 08-30-2006, 01:29 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: richrd

Yea I hear you. As I just posted how to get an old one working I too seached the whole web the only place that carried them were over the pond. Parts are starting to look tough to get.
Rich

-------------

I am confident that someone will buy out MRC's Enya parts inventory, which I understand is quite comprehensive. They have always had everything that I wanted when I ordered it.

If I had the the necessary level of health, I would do everything I could to get the US distribution rights for Enya engines.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:23 PM
budboy8

Bayhobby.com has six enya engines from .25 to 1.55. I have a enya 45x-tv thats 15 years old and still runs strong. Great engines.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:21 PM
FrancisPerson

Look what I found !

http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/moreenyas.php

Francis
Old 08-30-2006, 09:52 PM
NM2K

Look what I found !

http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/moreenyas.php

Francis

-----------------

Thanks, FrancisPerson. A very enjoyable read. <G>
Old 08-30-2006, 10:10 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go back to this part of the Supercool site you'll find even more stuff on Enyas but it's worthwhile checking out some of the other articles too.
http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles.php
Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 AM
MikeG4936
My Feedback: (5)

Francis
I just called MRC to order an airbleed screw for my 90-4C. They really do have tons of parts, and Tim even hooked me up with my part for free (no shipping, nothing!). He said it wasn't worth $7 shipping for a 90 cent part...lol As bad as they were in the actual Enya engine distributorship, the did have a parts supply and service/warranty that was second to none. As far as new Enya purchases - I now buy all my new Enyas from Singapore (just got an SS15-BB and an Ultra 11CX last week). Servoshop in the UK also has an extensive selection, but its way to expensive from the US.

BTW, are you sure MRC is dropping the distributorship? Whenever I call them for parts, I ask them this question, and I either get "they're just out of stock" or "We're still the distributor, as far as I know..." I didn't press them for anything more than that, but I do hear from various people that MRC is getting rid of Enya. I guess the thing I miss most about MRC is their location (an hour drive away) .

Oh, and Artisan is 100% correct about the 45CX. I just got my first one, and I'm loving it!![8D]

-Mike
Old 08-31-2006, 03:23 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As bad as MRC/Altech has been on carrying the Enya Motors I wouldn't miss them as a supplier.That said everyone is correct about the parts that they carry.They certainly helped me on several occassions to get a few older models back into running condition.Tthey have ruined Enyas presence in the country by simply not promoting the brand.They have spent most of their energy promoting their helicopter line as it is so much more profitable.
Now the problem is that who is going to step up to the plate and pick up the franchise. If Enya has not withdrawn their franchise from Altech then you have to buy it and the right to import and sell the product. Given the current health of the hobby that could be an awfully expensive proposition. Best bet would be for one of the big distributers to pick up the distributership and rebuild sales for the motor. God knows that quality wise it has very few equals and they have a line that is as extensive as OS, even diesels and a large line of controlline motors and even sub 09 sized motors
Of course this is speculaation as I have no firm knowledge of anything like this happening and this would be fairly important industry news if it were true. It wouldn't be a secret too long . Best to just wait and see what the future holds for Enya in the USA,
Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

The model engine industry is in a race to the bottom and Enya is not playing the game. I like their quality and will pay a premium for it but few modelers will these days. The other high-end MFGs have been forced to either specialize or dump quality and head to China, or at least leave Europe and Japan. MRC has never promoted Enya very well. Now they are stuck with a product that is not price competitive, what can ya do.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:51 PM
RaceCity

Kweasel makes a really interesting point. It IS interesting to note how the better engine manufacturers have chosen to stay out of the ".46-of-the-month" race and stay on the marketplace sidelines as the hobby borgs engage in a battle as to who can slice their margins the thinnest. The nicer products are available, but sometimes require a bit more effort to obtain.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 PM
MikeG4936

And, of course, all this bodes bad news for Enya. Enya never really did get that "following" of fans that OS now enjoys - the people who don't mind paying more for quality (IMHO, OS quality is questionable, though ) This is why whoever, IF ever anyone decides to pick up distributorship, will be fighting an uphill battle. As much as I love Enya, I think there is only room for one sucessful higher priced engine, and OS fills that (albiet large) niche perfectly. []
Old 08-31-2006, 11:30 PM
RaceCity

I wouldn't say the angel of death is at Enya's doorstep. Many of the more "niche" market engines are often sidelines for their manufacturers, or at least not their sole source of income. It may actually be better to recede a bit from a hostile market and focus your efforts toward more profitable lines, not necessarily hobby related, while preserving the engines reputation to live another day.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 AM
MikeG4936

ORIGINAL: RaceCity

I wouldn't say the angel of death is at Enya's doorstep. Many of the more "niche" market engines are often sidelines for their manufacturers, or at least not their sole source of income. It may actually be better to recede a bit from a hostile market and focus your efforts toward more profitable lines, not necessarily hobby related, while preserving the engines reputation to live another day.

Actually, I didn't mean Enya would go out of business, I just don't think they stand much of a chance on the US market. And that's OK with me for now - other countries already stock anything Enya I could ever want (besides that 45CX ). They definately won't go out of business, the company that makes them is "Enya metal products, CO, LTD," and I seriously doubt that all they make is engines. They also seem to be doing well in any country they have a presence in, excluding the US, of course.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:29 AM
MikeG4936

sorry.... double post!!
Old 09-01-2006, 05:31 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Would anyone guess what I should sell a brand new in the box Enya 1.20 (NOT "R" version) for?
It's complete in everyway and has never been run, mounted, fueled, etc.
Thanks!
JLK
Old 09-01-2006, 11:37 AM
RaceCity

See what engines in similar condition are selling for on the various auction sites, and price accordingly.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeG4936

As far as new Enya purchases - I now buy all my new Enyas from Singapore (just got an SS15-BB and an Ultra 11CX last week). Servoshop in the UK also has an extensive selection, but its way to expensive from the US.

-Mike
Where in Singapore exactly are you getting your Enyas?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

I am running an '80's vintage .60X III in my plans bashed Stick, and it is a wonderful engine. One of the best running motors I've ever owned. It's the only 2 stroke that I use any more.

I'd like to see them back in business in the states.......
Old 09-04-2006, 01:01 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Tripower455

I am running an '80's vintage .60X III in my plans bashed Stick, and it is a wonderful engine. One of the best running motors I've ever owned. It's the only 2 stroke that I use any more.

I'd like to see them back in business in the states.......

-----------------

Just as you do not see a Mercedes in a driveway on every block, you will not see Enya engines being as popular as OS. But if you can sell all of your production at a good price, it isn't necessary to sell that many engines in order to remain profitable.

As much as I love OS engines, and I do, they would not be nearly as popular if they were not promoted so much by Tower and associates.

There will always be a place for Enya engines, at least in the immediate future. Buying them offshore is not a problem for me. It makes no difference which website I go to to order an engine, whether it is here in the US or in a foreign country. Many of us have been buying from Pe Reivers in the Netherlands for a while now. It has become normal for me.

It would be nice to have access to parts, but unless you lose something off an Enya during flight, chances are real good that you will never need a part anyway.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:45 PM
eclecticant
My Feedback: (10)

I Have 2 120 enyas one r & one not r dose anyone have a lot of exsperiance instructions for bouth say it is needles to pressurize the fuel tank also it says to use a 4 or 5glow plug . Any one have exsperiance with theis

KEN
Old 09-12-2006, 07:53 PM
eclecticant
My Feedback: (10)

ONE MORE ENYA QUESTION HOW DO YOU KEEP THE PROP ON THE OLDER 120-4C IF IT BACKFIRES ON STARTING LOOK OUT

KEN
Old 09-12-2006, 07:54 PM
jlkonn

No, but I have a new in the box, never run, never fueled, never mounted Enya 1.20 that I would sell as is with box and instructions for $200 + shipping.
JLK
Old 09-12-2006, 07:56 PM
jlkonn

Ken,
I believe they had "waffle" washers...at least mine does that I just mentioned above.
Mine also came with a thrust washer, which is included, that allowed you to "pin" the prop.
JLK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.