Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 82 Oil Content

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 06:59 PM
lrtx1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saito 82 Oil Content

Does anyone know the % of castor and synthetic in Morgan fuel (omega) 10% nitro. Ex. 18% total 9% castor 9% synthetic. Just curious. Thinking about buying a MVVS .21 and the manufacturer states at least 20% oil and at least half of that being castor.

Layne
Old 10-03-2006, 11:55 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: lrtx1

Does anyone know the % of castor and synthetic in Morgan fuel (omega) 10% nitro. Ex. 18% total 9% castor 9% synthetic. Just curious. Thinking about buying a MVVS .21 and the manufacturer states at least 20% oil and at least half of that being castor.

Layne

--------------

I don't know the exact percentage of oil in Omega these days, but I know it isn't twenty percent and the castor oil content is only a few percent and certainly not 50%.

Dar Zeelon and Pe Reivers are the MVVS experts here on RCU. Hey fellas!!!! <G>

--------------

As an aside, Omega is great fuel. I use it myself when I can locate it, along with Wildcat and a few other brands (Gotta try some Cooper Fuel one of these days).

I keep a few bottles of Sig castor oil around the premises. Adding three or four ounces of castor oil to your fuel will give you a safety margin for those special situations.

I have one MVVS engine, a .61, but haven't ran it as yet. But when I do, I will probably end up spiking my synth/castor blended fuel with three or four ounces of castor oil. Maybe Pe and Dar can comment on whether this will or will not be sufficient for the MVVS .61 and a .21...?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:36 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: lrtx1

Layne,

Morgan Fuels advertise their [link=http://www.morganfuel.com/omega_blends.htm]Omega series fuels[/link] as being 17% oil, mixed in a 30/70 ratio. This means 5.1% castor oil and 11.9% synthetic oil.

If you add enough BeNOL, or Sig/Bakers AA to make half the oil castor, or 6.8%, your fuel would be nearly 22.3% oil.

I would say to use another fuel base, so as not to achieve this very oily mix.

Sig Champion series fuels are 20% 50/50 oil, as they come from the factory and they cost no more than Morgan.

PowerMaster GMA (5% and 10%) fuels are 22% 50/50 oil.

I am sure there are others that are pre-mixed to your exact preferrence.

I personally start with Model Technics Duraglow 5% and add to it 6.2% BeNOL castor, getting 20% total oil, of which 56% is castor.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Layne, you can order fuel directly from Fox in your choice of nitro % and 20% all castor, 20% 50/50 syn/castor or 75/25 syn/castor blend. I have used the 20% castor and the 20% 50/50 blend, excellent fuel.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

Michael,

When you live in Europe, you have access to different synthetic oils, which are better than the one found in Cruel Power and the Klotz Techniplate, which Klotz theselves characterize as lower in lubricity and in heat stability then castor oil (their own BeNOL).
I am sure you have Sachs Aerosynth II/III and Aerosave, which are much better lubricants and that American modelers cannot obtain.
When running the engine with low oil in fuel, must be little rich mixture to make enough oil in crankcase where moving parts need oil.
The bearings can not last long as other Saito who are using 23% oil in fuel and can not run leaned then it will make noise of the engine.

Jens Eirik