Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saito FA-30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saito FA-30

Wouldn't ya know it, after designing a twin expressly for a pair of Saito's cute little FA-30s, Saito has gone and discontinued them. Drats! (Can I say 'drats' on this website without being thrown out???) Anyway, my Saito supplier said that the little 30 was discontinued due to slow sales in the US.

I already have six Saitos of various sizes in my hangar and while I'm not against any of the other fine brands, I'm kinda loyal to Saito. So, should I search for a couple of Saito 30s (none are currently on eBay) or should I "stoop" to another brand?
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Saito FA-30

Don't compromise - get Saitos!

They're still available in the UK - Distributor site. You could contact UK model shops to see if they'll send them to you. My LHS is Moor Models and I know they will ship to the US.

Moor Models Saito page

HTH.

Richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you watch ebay and RCU long enough I'm sure you will see them pop up, although it may take some time to find two of them in the same condition. I am kind of a engine junkie myself, I have way more than I need to get through my lifetime of R/C flying. They are kinda like potato chips, "can't have just one". I have some kind of mental disorder when it comes to collecting engines, my LHS does'nt have 1/2 as many engines as I.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

5487, I own both the Saito and O.S. 30's. I don't consider one superior to the other. The O.S. is hardly a "stoop to" engine or a compromise.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And then there is the Magnum 30. I think good ole Hobby Lobby has them in stock.

Cheers,

Chip

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it is time that you gave yourself a treat and moved up to an OS FS-30. <G>

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Once you've owned a Saito, you'll never go back Ask around, see if any LHS's still have one in stock. My LHS here in Hickory, NC has one; Eddie Kizer at "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". Contact him at (828)328-3772, or eddieatpta.@earthlink.net His price is the same as Horizon's. It sure is a cute little engine, I thought about buying it, but have no purpose in mind for it. Maybe somebody else here on RCU has seen one at their local shop. What plane do you have in mind for them? Good luck.
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd like to make the point that "SAITO" did not discontinue the 30, 40, 50, or 80 but Horizon quit importing them.

I have several Saito 30's and they are very nice four strokes. I also have a OS 26 and have had considerable experience with a Magnum 30. I think of the Saito as being superior to the others but they are all good engines.
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

5, I found one at Apex Hobbies in Tazewell, Va., so if you can scrounge another you'll have two excellent engines. Their # is

1-276-988-9005, Bobby Dove, a long time friend of mine, will answer the phone. I have a silver one with a bout 2 hours on it and a brand new GK.
    Case 570 Diesel, 188.4 Cu. In. HP==36 @ 1,900 RPM, CR 17.5 to 1. Bore==3.8125, Stroke==4.125

As competition improves products, the differences between them get smaller and smaller

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually, w8ye, I think I knew that. I believe I was told that the 30 was no longer available "in the US" due to lackluster sales of that engine. And that's too bad because I think it has potential in the smaller scales (once it's discovered anyway.)

No, folks, I'm not against OS or any of the other manufacturers and will readily admit that they also put out fine engines. But at this point, I have Saito experience, Saito manuals, Saito parts, Saito tools and a stock of Saito glow plugs so it doesn't make a lot of sense (to me anyway) to branch out to another manufacturer. Especially since I've been so happy with Saito over the years. However, I will admit a desire to see Horizon get some competition in the US Saito-distributing market. Horizon has had 100% control of the US Saito market for too long.
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Darn, now I've got a dilemma on my hands so I'll just throw this out to the 6,764,563,589,641,239,765,894,236,975,169,760 experts (and the 1 or 2 resident know-it-alls) on this forum to help me decide...

The "twin design" that I spoke of earlier is the MAN Twin Trainer (TT-1). It has a 72" WS and is designed for a pair of .25 2-strokes so, naturally, I figured that a pair of Saito's little 30s would be about right. And I'm indebted to those of you who have located the discontinued 30s for me. However, I have a new Saito FA-40a sitting on the shelf without a plane planned for it and it would be a lot cheaper to buy a second 40 than to buy TWO 30s. The problem is that I'm not a fan of overpowering planes (jeez, I'm gonna brace myself against the onslaught of replies for making THAT comment) plus I wonder if the 40s would look too big for the Twin Trainer's nacelles? I do not know what the Twin Trainer's eventual weight will be. There is also the possibility that it may end up on floats.

w8ye, when you said that Horizon has discontinued importing the Saito 30 AND 40, did you mean their new 40a?

Decisions, decisions...
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes the 40a was discontinued a few months before the 30 but there are still some of them around also. A friend just bought one at Mac Hodges in Andersonville, Ga. http://www.hodgeshobbies.com/

The only engine Saito has discontinued in the last few years has been the 45S
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello; I have a Saito 30 on my Pixie bipe, lovely engine. A friend has a Saito 40 on his Freedom 20, The two engines look to be the same size when the two planes are sitting side by side. I know that they aren't the same size, but I bet they're close, so close that no one will be able to tell if it's a 30 or a40. So if you go with the 2 fourtys ( which is what I would do) you'll have lots of people ask you if they are 30's or 40's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The same place I mentioned above has a .40a, I don't know if it's a GK or silver. They keep 250+ engines in stock at all times.
    Case 570 Diesel, 188.4 Cu. In. HP==36 @ 1,900 RPM, CR 17.5 to 1. Bore==3.8125, Stroke==4.125

As competition improves products, the differences between them get smaller and smaller

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I spotted a few new saito 30's and .40a's and Greeefield news and hobby today. They are asking $175.00 for the .40a's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Dave, are you laffin about my weakness for engines? No, you wouldn't that.

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hobbsy,
    I am just letting people know that there are a few new ones out there yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes sir, I was just havin a little fun.

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Motorman37,

Where is Greenfield News and Hobby?
    Weather Geek

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

W8ye,
    Thanks, I should have done that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had seen a couple of Saito .30s run and knew that I wanted one some day. Then, they were discontinued. Not long ago I was at a guys house and he was getting out of the r/c hobby due to his age. There sat a new .30 GK in the box. It had not even been taken out of the clear wrapper. It had the sticker on the box for $149.99 and that's what I paid him. I haven't run it yet, but it sure is nice looking and I'll build something for it.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It's a new day for Auburn" - Gus Malzahn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Barry, you're gonna love it, it will turn a Graupner 10x5 at 10,100 rpm on 10% nitro fuel. Mr. Robison had mine for a while to study up for his Saito tunning and maintenance docs. I had to send some big strong lads to his house to get it back.

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I need to find a good kit for it. Something that isn't cowled since it is a GK. Is that the engine that Bill painted black?

Did I ask you where you get your Graupner props? If so, I forgot or misplaced the website info.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It's a new day for Auburn" - Gus Malzahn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

5 if you end up on floats you'll appreciate the 40's
    Hey Buddy -That was the most spectacular crash I\'ve ever seen , That rolling cart wheel with parts slinging out was cool...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast