Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Super Tiger and TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Sherman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tiger and TT

I had been out of the hobby for quite a few years (work gets in the way of everything) and a couple of years ago bot back in. What a drematic change. First off, the ARF's were something to behold. Many years ago, these were considered inferior (which they were) and were heavy and no one would touch them that knew anyghing. Now I love them (getting old and have lost some of my passion to build). Had never heard of some of the new engines. My friend and I each bought a 46pro thunder tiger, and boy were we impressed. Not only did they seem to have lots of power, but a good idle, and easy to set idle and high speed. We have seind bought some more TT's, and am still flying the originals (although we have flown so much don't know how mudh longer the original ones will last). We found that we could set the high speed, and then at idle we would go to full speed. If the engine stopped abruptly, we would richen ahd idle, and if the engine coughed and spluttered, we would lean the idle. We have had wonderful success with these engines.

I am tempted now to get a super tiger 46ABC for a new plane under assembly, just to try something new. Could I expect about the same power as the TT 46. Also, in reading this forum, have seen what appears to be problems with the carburetors and the carburetor setting (although most of the complaints were for the 51). Is this carburetor difficulty inherent in the 46. Since I have had such good luck with the TT (almost never a dead stick), maybe I shouldn't change. Your thoughts on the supertiger would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:43 PM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: Super Tiger and TT

I've got a hangar filled with TT46Pro engines and every one is a gem.

I've also got a box filled with various *other* 40-56 sized engines. They live in a box because, although they were cheap, they certainly weren't bargains and none of them can hold a candle to the TT when it comes to reliability, throttling or ease of handling (although some are a little more powerful).

Every time I think about spending $50 on a new "out of China" engine I just pull out that box, take a look at all the money I've wasted, and order another TT46Pro :-)

Sure, there are other good (even great) 46-sized engines out there (OS, Webra, etc) but I've discovered that when you've found an engine that works really well, there's little reason to play roulette with your hobby dollars. At best you'll get an engine that's slightly better -- but more likely (ugh!).

Based on my own experiences with ST engines I have to say that they are very well made and long-lived. However, their design (especially the carbies) is now getting quite long in the tooth and nobody I know has been able to get them to transition anywhere near as well as a TT. What's more, you have that ugly dustbin air-brake muffler to contend with :-(
Old 11-30-2006, 03:58 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own Thunder Tiger and Super Tigre engines. The Thunder Tigre .46 and 1.20 Pro are their best efforts to date. Oh, and I have a couple of TT .15s that should be great too, if they are like the ones I was tinkering with at the field (no, no engine problems, just set up) a while back.

Honestly, until Super Tigre does something about their carbs (update), I can't really recommend that someone buy anything in the .40 - .50 Super Tigre range as long as the TT.46Pro is available.

Yes, there are a few engines that make a tad more power than the TT.46Pro, but they are not known for lasting like a TT. Of course, some of the fun in model airplanes for some people is experimenting with different engines. Even if they are slightly inferior quality wise to the TT.46Pro.

You have to spend a lot more money to better the TT.46Pro, in my opinion. Lots of folks really like the OS.46AX and the new .55. Others, like me, like the Rossi 45 3D and the .53 (more expensive than the OS). I have a Webra .50 and an ASP .52 also.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Harry Lagman

Sherman, the TT Pro .46 is a great little engine. I've set up three or four TT Pros for guys and about half a dozen ST engines as well.

The TT is in a whole-nother league in terms of quality and consistency. Every TT .46 Pro I've seen has been a great engine. On the other hand, the STs have ranged from being profoundly unimpressive to being adequate, uninspiring performers. If you want an engine that's as cheap as chips, burns a bit of fuel, makes some noise, emits a little smoke and provides some motive force - all without any endearing features - and you don't mind fiddling around with its carburettor in search of an elusive better mid range, the STs are a good choice.

If you are the sort of person who loves a great value, sweet running, powerful, smooth, great throttling, inspiring powerplant that you can take home after a great day's flying, sit down in the workshop and crack a beer while you look at it and smile... the TT is a great choice!

Old 12-01-2006, 06:45 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

The Super Tiger 51 is ok but it is hard to beat the Thunder Tiger 46 with a Tower Hobbies muffler attached. I have both engines and like both.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I also have the ST51 and the TT46 and my experience seems to be opposite of the others. I like everything about the ST better except for the hokey muffler set up. More power, better idle, and transition. Both mounted on the same plane at different times. I bought a Macs one piece muffler for ST, but haven't tried it yet. I'm beginning to think the TT might have been a dud or not broken in properly. My money would go for another ST.
Have fun, MikeB
Old 12-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The SuperTigre .51 is one of best kept secrets in this hobby, it will turn a Graupner 12x6 at about 10,400 rpm and never wimper and do so on very little fuel. The .51 has never had a carb problem.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:29 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your local hobby shops. One of mine is selling the AX .46 for $96 and has been doing so for many months. I think Hobbico might be allowing certain incentives like this one to LHS owners to help get people in the door.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:38 PM
JAYKOH
My Feedback: (13)

As much as I love my ST's I'd recommend you stay with the TT's( great power, long life, much better carb than ST's, great value for the money)
Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: WMB

I also have the ST51 and the TT46 and my experience seems to be opposite of the others. I like everything about the ST better except for the hokey muffler set up. More power, better idle, and transition. Both mounted on the same plane at different times. I bought a Macs one piece muffler for ST, but haven't tried it yet. I'm beginning to think the TT might have been a dud or not broken in properly. My money would go for another ST.
Have fun, MikeB

---------------

Which could have been a possitibility with your TT.46.

Both engines are really good engines, in my estimation, though I lean in favor of the TT.46 a bit more. Believe me, it isn't by much.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-04-2006, 03:38 AM
Turk1

If you think another brand,Take a look at http://www.kangkeusa.com/Engines/skengines.htm
Unbeatable price,real chrome,torquer,reliable engine.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

The Super Tiger 51 is ok but it is hard to beat the Thunder Tiger 46 with a Tower Hobbies muffler attached. I have both engines and like both.
Hey Buzzingb, I am looking for a muffler to fit my Thunder Tiger Pro .46 as the original met with an untimely departure from the engine (at altitude) . For the life of me I can't find anyone who sells just the muffler. You mention that a Tower Hobby muffler will fit that engine? Which one? You assistance is greatly appreciated!

-MA
Old 12-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Harry Lagman

The Tower .46 muffler bolts straight up, as does any OS SF .46, FX .46 or AX .46 (and clone) style muffler.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:04 PM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

There's nothing wrong with Super Tigres . Their carbs are great and will stay set once broke in . You never read of bearings blowing out or liner problems. They run on lower nitro saving you money in the long run. We just have a new group of people that can't tune worth a darn . It's the instant gratification crowd. If the muffler was changed they would sell tons more. But other than weight it is actually a great fully adjustible muffler.........
Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Harry Lagman

Super Tigre Fan Club Operations Manual.

Chapter Seven - Handling Objections From Other Modellers.

The following list should be used as a reference when at the field or on message boards when people criticize our beloved Super Tigre engines.

1) A fellow modeller says "ST carbs are crap"...

Say...

ORIGINAL: speedster 1919

There's nothing wrong with Super Tigres . Their carbs are great and will stay set once broke in . You never read of bearings blowing out or liner problems. They run on lower nitro saving you money in the long run. We just have a new group of people that can't tune worth a darn .
1) A fellow modeller says "STs take ages to break in; I'd rather just fly from the get go".

Say...

ORIGINAL: speedster1919

It's the instant gratification crowd.
3) A fellow modeller says "the ST mufflers are heavy and butt-ugly."

Say...

ORIGINAL: speedster1919

If the muffler was changed they would sell tons more. But other than weight it is actually a great fully adjustible muffler.........
Sorry Speedster, just kidding ya..., couldn't resist...
Old 12-20-2006, 01:20 AM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: Sherman
Your thoughts on the supertiger would be appreciated.
Sherm, I'll sum it up for you.

TT = [sm=thumbs_up.gif] [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

ST = [sm=thumbs_down.gif] [sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 12-20-2006, 03:08 AM
chevy43

Harry Lagman,

I didn't know much about either engine till I read this thread.

Your response just craked me up!!!!!

I know which one I would buy.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:35 AM
NM2K

Very well put, Harry.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-20-2006, 06:42 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

TOUCHE' HARRY VEH-VA SUPENDOUS TIGRESS
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Jezmo

I've had ST's TT's OS's Saito's Enya's Cox's Fox's McCoy's Magnum's and Royal's. With the exception of the Royal, I have had good ones and bad ones in all brands. All of the Royal's I owned were JUNK. The most 'consistently reliable' engines were OS. Almost as good are my TT's and Saito's. A VERY close third would be my ST's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of any of these wonderful masterpieces. I can't remeber what his name is but someone on this forum has a signature that says he never met an engine he didn't like, Kinda sums up my feelings if you leave out the Royal. Compared to what I had available 35 or 40 years ago some of this stuff is simply incredible, especially when you consider the prices.[8D] Just my 2C's
Old 12-20-2006, 10:53 AM
buzzingb

I have both the Thunder Tiger 46 and the Super Tiger 51 and like them both. The 51 does have more power down low than the 46. The 51 will easily spin a 11X7 and will spin a 12X6 Master Airscrew K Series (wide blade made for 4 strokes). They both run well with no problems and cost about the same the ST may be a little cheaper. I would buy the 51 not the 46. I am amazed at the powere of the 51. It is almost as powerful as a 61.
I will list some rpms I have just observed with my ST51 still breaking in runing just under 4 stroking rich.

APC 11X7 11,500+
MAster Airscrew K Series 10,800+
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM
buzzingb

Althought I don't have any long time experience with the Super Tiger engine I would think they would outlast other brands with nickel planted liners. I know that I had a OS46FX that peeled its liner at 30 gallons and I wasn't terribly dissapointed but I thought it should have lasted longer. The steel liner of 51 should never wear out if it is maintained and run properly. The ring should be made of a slightly softer metal and should wear first, maybe at about 50+ gallons I have heard. The ring isn't that expensive to replace. The bearing should last a very long time too but the rear should go first and isn't that expensive to replane. If the 51 doesn't last till 50 gallons I will be dissapointed and that will tell you what I think of it.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:38 AM
buzzingb

I have had too many bad experiences with cylinder liners peeling the first engine I had peel its liner was a Pioneer chainsaw engine. The only glow engine I have had peel its liner is an OS46FX. Anytime something is planted you can only assume it will proballly let go at some point hopefully at a distant point in time. Saitos seem to hold up fine and they have chromed aluminum for their cylinder liers. It is strange to me why OS can't send a spy over to Saito and find out what they do.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

Hey Buzzingb, I am looking for a muffler to fit my Thunder Tiger Pro .46 as the original met with an untimely departure from the engine (at altitude) . For the life of me I can't find anyone who sells just the muffler. You mention that a Tower Hobby muffler will fit that engine? Which one? You assistance is greatly appreciated!

-MA

-----------

Have you checked with www.thundertiger4u.com for the muffler?

Ed Cregger
Old 12-20-2006, 05:55 PM
buzzingb

The Tower Hobbies 46 Muffler will fit the Thunder Tiger 46 and add more power to boot for around $15. I am keeping my original muffler that came with the Thunder Tiger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.