Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

*** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:57 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: *** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***

Guys...I just got an X45 and X60 off *bay.
I had never seen the X45 before...and the guy I got them from said it's like a longer stroke X40, only w/ a front intake. Looks like I will have to do some comparison flying this spring with my K&B 6.5's

Question: The X 60 came in a side exhaust and a rear exhaust version.
Is there any noticable performance difference between the two?

The pic in the auction was for a FIRE X60 but he sent me a side exh version by mistake.
Thing is though, the side exh. version is in great shape...virtually brand new w/ only a little test stand time on it.
If there's no or not much difference between the rear vs side exh. versions, I might be happy to keep the side exh. version, but if the rear exh. is better, then I'd rather have the FIRE...
Old 01-05-2007, 02:49 AM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

I totally agree with the back pressure requirement. My Italian G2300 has a Pitts muffler on it, and the fuel was backing up away from the carb at idle and the engine would die. I put my finger over one pipe of the muffler, and got it to idle nice at 1400 ! I.ve now re-set the needles back to factory settings, and will start over tomorrow. Tonight I plugged one exhaust tube permanently. With the lack of back pressure, the needles had to be way rich. I think this one is fixed finally...
With both exhaust tubes open, it wouldn't idle below 3000 rpm.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:07 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: proptop

Guys...I just got an X45 and X60 off *bay.
I had never seen the X45 before...and the guy I got them from said it's like a longer stroke X40, only w/ a front intake. Looks like I will have to do some comparison flying this spring with my K&B 6.5's

Question: The X 60 came in a side exhaust and a rear exhaust version.
Is there any noticable performance difference between the two?

The pic in the auction was for a FIRE X60 but he sent me a side exh version by mistake.
Thing is though, the side exh. version is in great shape...virtually brand new w/ only a little test stand time on it.
If there's no or not much difference between the rear vs side exh. versions, I might be happy to keep the side exh. version, but if the rear exh. is better, then I'd rather have the FIRE...

--------------

I may be wrong, proptop, but I think that the side exhaust X60 is a bit of a rare bird here in the USA. All I ever remember being sold at Tower in those days were rear exhaust versions of the X-60.

It is easy to have a header made up to divert the exhaust gasses around the cylinder and up the center of the model, if that is your think. On the other hand, using a rear exhaust engine in anything but a pylon or pattern model is a bit of a PITA.

With all things being equal, timing/porting/etc., I see no reason why the rear exhaust will have a power advantage over the side exhaust.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I hear ya Ed, as far as packaging in the airplane is concerned.

After further research, it appears that I have an early, short/round head FISE version...pre '81? (thanks Kweasel )
The guy I got it from has offered to swap it back for the FIRE after I notified him. He said he's sold 4 X60's lately, and just accidently mixed up the invoices.
He also offered me a pipe and header for the side exh. for 39 bucks, which is a great price. That makes me think about the PIA that rear exh. engines can be sometimes, and having to get a pipe for that one, etc. etc.,
I don't have a pattern airplane as of yet...I was reading the "Ballistic Pattern" threads and thinking the FIRE X60 would be a cool engine to have for one of those though...
Hmmm...decisions, decisions...(ain't it awful )
Old 01-05-2007, 06:15 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi WARHWK I know you said your engine was 1990 and you had original instructions. Another poster asked when ST quit making them. There has been known to be misprints in manufactures instructions. The Super Tigre web site reads like ST has changed their minds for all 3000 engines. The section for recommended fuel for S3000 and S3250 only the 3250 was recommended to use Big Tigre Fuel. These engines suck fuel and where meant to work on 0% nitro... 5% will work real well and can go to 10% But that is like saying My car red lines at 6,500 so I will drive at 6,490 all day long and be safe............And yes I know the 3250 was meant to replace the 3000..........
Old 01-05-2007, 03:45 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Man are these Super Tiger engines pilling up. Now I have 5 as I have just traded for a 61ABC. I will be running it shortly.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:40 PM
freeonthree

Well, im done now... I tried everything I could think of, and the ST just doesn't want to run correctly. Just got off the phone, and I get to take the big Giles 202 back. It was a big pain in the butt just gettin it in and out of the house anyway. lol Back to my 40 size Saito powered scale birds. Life will be trouble free again. lol
Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 PM
buzzingb

Now you are talking Dennis. The 40/60 size planes are the cream of the crop in my opinion. You can aford to buy them, they are easy to work on and transport. I like to put mine in front of the tv and get a good Diet Coke and build away. The cost of large planes is enormous if you consider everything. Trailer $3000, Shop $20000, and a $1000 this and that. Just add it up because you have to have it or it won't work.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:20 AM
freeonthree

You hit the nail right on the head. The 40 size is a total blast and very easy to deal with. Im trying to be reasonable about the Giles deal though, so I have the carb apart now, and im making sure that it's clean, and that the LSN and spraybar are set correctly. Carb O Ring is like new, and the o ring on the LSN looks good and seems to be snug in the bore. He's got the plane sold to another guy already, so im just trying to do what I can for him. I can't find any crud, or anything wrong though. Oh well... Who knows, maybe all my old 2 stroke glow plugs are bad ??? Ah, the good ol days. lol
Old 01-06-2007, 05:55 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

You put in old used glow plugs ? When a new FOX plug is $2.35 ! The old used plugs thrown in the back of your tool box were taken out for a reason .
Old 01-06-2007, 01:40 PM
freeonthree

It has an OS#8 plug in it, and none of mine glowed as bright, but I did try a few just for GP. It did the same with all of them. Im going back to my "I hate 2 strokes" attitude... Saito's rock !
I was just goin thru a macho phase wanting that big plane I think. Im a scale type flyer anyway, and would have only flown it around like a private plane. It would have been too easy to fly to be fun for me after a while, and wound up just collecting dust anyway.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:19 AM
buzzingb

Dennis you are right about those Saitos but they are soo expensive compared to these great little Super Tigers. I have several Saitos now and just traded a Saito 65 for a Super Tiger 90 because I needed more power. Both engines takes a little attention from time to time I just had to take my carb off a Saito 72 last night to clean out fuel inlet. The thing had a gummy build up in the needle valve area. I could see through it but I could tell that there was something in there by looking and by the way it ran in the air. I use a sewing needle with threat to clean it out and afterwards holding it up to a bright light it was now a much larger opening in there. I tried to avoid taking the carb off I tried blowing through the fuel inlet and needle valve hole but it just didn't change things. Naturally I could have started downing Saitos but I knew better, I had created my own problem here, so like most people I should start downing myself for doing this not Saito, Super Tiger, Thunder Tiger, OS, etc. If a man is smart enough he can make almost any engine run. The problem is some require more attention than others.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:44 AM
freeonthree

I admitt, I am a bit spoiled after running my Saito's these last 3 or 4 years, and the fuel economy of a 4 stroke is wonderful compared to a 2 stoke. They sound better too...
I wouldn't have lost my patience with that ST so fast had I not seen the fuel bottle dropping it's level so quickly. lol The other factor that irritated me was the size of the 1/4 scale. My flatbed is perfect for hauling em, but it's such a hassel moving em in and out of the house. The 40 size planes are a joy by comparission, and with four strokes on them, their really cheap to fly. I agree that Saito's are a bit spendy, but I think their worth it. My 56 was about $200.00, but I haven't had to adjust the needles at all since it was broke in. Thats what I like... They always start instantly, and never die. I wish my Chevy ran as good.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM
raych

OS carb for ST 2300?

Could someone tell me of a currently available OS carb that will work on the ST 2300?

I see where the Magnum 1.08 carb works and probably the non-pump Perry carb.

Just looking for options.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 01-08-2007, 11:01 AM
buzzingb

Perry and Jett work without adapter ring. Magnum 108 must have adapter ring machined. I have hear that Moki carbs will work but am not sure.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Merco 35

Hello all!!
Althought my nickname is for my first stunt engine, I´m hookeg with Tigres, i.e.
10 x ST G 21 46 Stunt.
1 x ST G 21 40 Stunt.
1 x ST C 35 Combat Perry ported.
4 x ST G 51 Stunt.
1 x ST 51 Old type baffle piston Stunt.
2 x ST V60 Stunt.

(I love Control Line Stunt too,
)
Regards from Spain.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:26 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Merco 35
Althought my nickname is for my first stunt engine
2 x Merco 35
1 x Merco 49 Black Streak
1 x Merco 61 Mk2
1 x ST G51 Stunt
1 x ST G20 15
1x ST G20 19
1 x ST G15
Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 PM
buzzingb

I like the Super Tiger throttle arm. It makes it very convinient to adjust it to suit my needs. I have never realized how well this worked until recently when I couldn't get the linkage right so I just loosened the throttle arm clamp and presto I positioned it where it needed to be. It sure made it nice.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:37 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

Now you are talking Dennis. The 40/60 size planes are the cream of the crop in my opinion. You can aford to buy them, they are easy to work on and transport. I like to put mine in front of the tv and get a good Diet Coke and build away. The cost of large planes is enormous if you consider everything. Trailer $3000, Shop $20000, and a $1000 this and that. Just add it up because you have to have it or it won't work.

----------------

My wife started flying R/C when I began for real in 69. I dabbled a bit in 66-67, but didn't get out of the USAF until 69 and got a good paying job, enabling me to finally get into R/C with a multi-channel proportional rig.

Anyway, the wife has drifted off into quilting and other hobbies, but she still pits for me sometimes. We were at a local R/C field a few years ago and immediately in front of us were two guys that were prepping a monster Extra with a twin cylinder something or another engine. She looked at it and asked me what that cost. I said probably $3,500 to $5,000. The model took off and she commented, "That's funny, they all look to be the same size, once they are in the air". It then became apparent that the two guys overheard my wife's comment, as their shoulders slumped and their demeanor changed. <G>

I fly just about all size models except the very largest and the very smallest (can't stand .010, .020 & .049 engines - the sound hurts my teeth).

Old 01-14-2007, 06:31 AM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

I just love SuperTigre threads..haha
Old 01-14-2007, 11:28 AM
buzzingb

Ed the thing is most people trying to fly those large planes can't affort them and the ones that can are scared to get them low enought to let people know they are large, so therefore they do look the same in the air. I sure enjoy the 40 to 60 size planes with these cheap Super Tiger on board. I burned aroung 3/4 of a gallon through my Super Tiger 51 yesterday and I must say that I don't think I will ever get over the power this thing has for what I payed for it. Simply awsum in the air. I checked the on ground rpms and it appears it is swinging a 12X6 Master Airscrew at 11,200 but in the air it really unloads with this prop. When it starts to get near .7 the speed of sound the prop tips start to resonate the buzzing sound and man that give me goose bumps.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:24 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: bobzilla

I just love SuperTigre threads..haha

--------------

Well, my post started out on topic in my mind - but then it got lost. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 PM
buzzingb

A plastic throttle arm also will flex just a wee bit if need be.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:26 PM
buzzingb

Well I am ready to make some changes to my Super Tiger engines. Yesterday I was out flying at a grass strip and after burning 2/3 of a gallon of fuel in my 51 I noticed some tiny bits of grass stuck to the inside of the carb. They had stuck to some oily residue apparentlly on landing or take off. Now if grass particles can get stuck there doesn't it stand to reason that particles of dust are also being sucked in there also? The problem here is that the idle adjustment screw on Super Tigers carbs are too close to the carb intake housing to allow the rubber Bruling Fine Air Filter to be fit around the carb. So I haven't been useing the air filter on my Super Tiger engines.. That has to change. I plan on removing the idle limiting screw and useing a Dremel on it to shortening it enough to mount flush with the carb housing with some red Locktite on to prevent loosening. Do any of you see a potential problem with that??
Old 01-14-2007, 09:31 PM
buzzingb

I have run these Bruline filters on other engines without any problems. I just add after run oil right through the foam filter material and I figure it will also help trap dust. Do any of you see a problem here? Well I do, could the oil also flush some dust into the carb and motor? YES INDEED it could. I need a better way to add after run oil. How do you add after run oil with a Bruline air filter???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.