*** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***

Hi.

I have an S3000 on an Ultra Sport 1000, and the gentleman that I purchased it from told me that he has been trouble getting it to run right, bu was able to get it to run and fly good last week, but it ran through 24oz of fuel in 5 mins. Is this normal??  it seems a bit on the high side of fuel consumption..  He also told me that he was unable to get the engine to stop running with the throttle completely closed, and his finger over the throat of the carb, so I suspect an air leak in the carb.. Would this account for the high fuel consumption?  I am looking at getting a Perry Carb for the engine, this engine has an OS carb on it, not sire of the model tho.  Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Craig.  
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
balsaeater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One onze per minute for a ~100 engine rough rule
That means for a ~180 ~30cc it should be less than ~2 onze per minute in low nitro and maybe as much as ~2.5 onze per minute with high nitro fuel
Not impossible to do ~5 onze a minute if the fuel is very high oil content and the type of prop allows the engine to be over loaded and it is still running in or stiff for some reason like a bent shaft , but most unlikly so sounds like the half the fuel is getting thrown out of the engine in some way

Keep us posted

Balsaeater
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

check for fuel coming thru or out of front brg. also if eng. case o-ring frt or rear leaking air maybe causing unreg. air into eng hence you will have to "really open up" the carb. needles to compensate for the unreg. air. tower hobby has new o-rings for the reseal. also check o-ring at carb. base. air can by-pass there too. the most pop. carb. has been the os 7-D from the 1.08 eng. perry carb. works great too. i'm going to try the walbro wt-499 alky carb. that came on a zenoah 23cc alky eng. should help fuel draw and lean out/flame out probs. critical tank placement, etc. hope this has helped
Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Yes, this does indeed have an OS 7D carb on it. It also seems that the O-Ring was cracked, I imagine that this has a bit to do with the problems. I will replace the o-ring, then check it out.  will keep you all updated.

Thanks, Craig.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 AM
equip
My Feedback: (64)

Hi everyone just wondering is the ST3250 carb the same size as the ST4500 carb if it is, Jett Engineering makes a carb called the Red-Jett for a ST3250. Has anyone tryed this carb on a ST3250.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 AM
kestrel0222
My Feedback: (1)

I've owned a couple of Super tiger engines years ago (1977-1983?), The 60 Blue head, awesome engine!!!! This engine idled so nice, you could actually see the prop turn (well, almost). It was my favorite engine in this size. The other one was the 46, this too was a great running engine. I think it is like others have said, either you like them, or you hate them. I for one like them. As a matter of fact, I am in the process of building a Sig 1/6 scale Clipped wing Cub and I am going to put in a G34 under the cowl. I did a lot of research in regards to what engine I will use, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, and I came to the conclusion that a 4 stroke more then likely will be seen (inverted), having to cut a hole in the bottom of the cowl. I didn't want to do that, so that left me with a 2 stroke. I think the G34 will suite this plane just fine.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
gianfry2866

hi

someone can give me some information regarding the engine in pictures?????

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66216.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	1375025  
Old 02-17-2010, 11:26 AM
coachdavis10

Just curious. I know their are plenty of reasons for this but I was just wondering. I bought a used 3250 that had been in a crash. Ran it a few times. ran ok. Then one day had a hard time cranking it and in flight it quit runnung. It had blown 2 plugs out of the head (not same day) but the crankshaft is broken. Let me here some guesses????
Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM
qldviking

ORIGINAL: coachdavis10

Just curious. I know their are plenty of reasons for this but I was just wondering. I bought a used 3250 that had been in a crash. Ran it a few times. ran ok. Then one day had a hard time cranking it and in flight it quit runnung. It had blown 2 plugs out of the head (not same day) but the crankshaft is broken. Let me here some guesses????

Ok the main reason I have seen the larger ST motors blow plugs out of the head is they were run too hot without adequate cooling, and fuel with too high a nitro content. These babies do NOT need mre than 5% nitro if any. I run all my big ST's on straight methanol with 15% oil..
The issue ofthe crank to me sounds like when the motor got dorked, it bent the crank to some degree and also one or both bearings got displaced or damaged too, not unusual with a crashed motor to see it fly ok for some flights and then break. The last motor for me to do that was a ST-4500. I had a nose over taxiing with a cub at approx 3000rpm, it shattered the c/f prop, but the motor seemed ok for about another 6 flights before the rod let go and also snapped the crank just inside the front bearing. A post mortem showed the fron bearing was running out of true, and was slowly self destructing. The crank showed wear on the bearing seat indicating that the bearing was locking up. That cost a total rebuild with all new internals.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:09 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

S A TIGHT FIT IN THE TATONE MOUNT. THE TATONE FOLKS SOLD ME A MOUNT THEY SAID WS FOR MY SUPER TIGRE S 90.
WHEN I GOT IT IT WAS STAMPED 60 /75.
WHEN I CALLED BACK THEY ASSURED ME IT WAS USED FOR A 90 ALL THE TIME.
I USED A MICROMETER TO MEASURE THE WIDTH BETWEEN THE BEAMS AND I MEASURED THE CRANK CASE OF THE TIGRE. THE GRANK CASE WAS 40 THOUSANDTH WITER THAN THE MOUNT. HOWEVER, THE ENGINE BOLTED IN EASSY.
ALSO SUPER TIGRE HAD MILLED THE BOTTOM OF THE MOUNTING FLANGES TO MAKE THEM FLAT BUT DID NOT MILL ALL THE WAY TO THE CRANK CASE LEAVING A 1/4th wide and high ridge.
.i decided to try one more time to solve the buzzing. when i took the engine off the mount there was a lot of gray grease under it with sound bars indicating vibration. as an engineer making vibration test i recognized this
i milled both j tec motor mounts to clear the crank case. i chamfered the mount to clear the 1/64 ridge.. fired the engine up ah..ha no more buzz. as an engineer i should have found this sooner.
the engines must set flat and the mounting holes must be dtilled/tapped true and acurate for best results.
thanks to all who offered suggestions.. frank
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
booger
My Feedback: (4)

I have a 3250 with a slimline muffler and i have to block one exhaust port to get enough back pressure to run the high side 2.5 turns out. I was wondering if there is a bisson pitts muffler that can be used so i can leave both ports open. If not what size is the stock muffler exhaust outlet. Where are you guys running your high side needle. The manual says 2 turns to start. Just trying to get this thing to run right. I have been fighting the lean run because of the back pressure.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your mount is a bit tight, you just file it to make room for the engine. This is something modelers have done since pre-made mounts came out. That's because some mounts are a bit tight, and others are too loose. The loose ones may be too wide to allow for good mounting. You usually won't cause any difficulties if you file the mount a bit to fit.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
pault
My Feedback: (34)

a buddy of mine is needing super tigre 60 twin parts..................any leads?......thanks.....paul
Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: booger

I have a 3250 with a slimline muffler and i have to block one exhaust port to get enough back pressure to run the high side 2.5 turns out. I was wondering if there is a bisson pitts muffler that can be used so i can leave both ports open. If not what size is the stock muffler exhaust outlet. Where are you guys running your high side needle. The manual says 2 turns to start. Just trying to get this thing to run right. I have been fighting the lean run because of the back pressure.

May I suggest a different tactic? How about using a Perry VP-20 or 30 fuel pump? Personally, I prefer the VP-20 if the fuel tank is immediately behind the firewall. No muss, no fuss and not very expensive. Let the engine breathe and unblock that exhaust port.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-05-2010, 01:28 AM
fujiman

ORIGINAL: booger

i think might have covered this before, but try a walbro wt-499 alky carb that zenoah uses on their 25cc alky engines. you will have to tap into crank case to get pulse pressure to pump side of carb. easy enough to do. i use the carb. to engine adapter, studs, gaskets and nuts and bolts and insolator from horizon hobby and parts are found in the evo 35cc engine parts section. when you find that section you can brose around in that sect. to find all that you need. i got my carbs. from dave's discount motors.com on the web. that way you can have good carb. with built in pump.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Matagordababy

Have him try the Tower Hobbies site - they list a pretty nice assortment of ST-6000 Parts.

Cheers!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:41 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I just pulled the trigger on a 4500 on ebay. Paid too much for it, but I just had to have it! I do love those big 2 stroke glow engines. Any suggestions on the 4500? What % nitro, how much oil, castor or synthetic, etc, etc?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the way back from Florida I stopped to a very nice RC field by Celina Ohio. I noticed a very good sounding warbird. After the owner landed it I talked with him. He said it was a Supertiger 3000 and he ran it on L85 gas. He used a "f" type OS Max glow plug.I forget wat oil rato was(darn). Boy did that engine run nice. I will try it myself one of these days! Capt,n
Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

On the way back from Florida I stopped to a very nice RC field by Celina Ohio. I noticed a very good sounding warbird. After the owner landed it I talked with him. He said it was a Supertiger 3000 and he ran it on L85 gas. He used a ''f'' type OS Max glow plug. I forget wat oil rato was(darn). Boy did that engine run nice. I will try it myself one of these days! Capt,n
With out a bearing change the oil ratio will be the same, which I believe is 10% to 12%.

Just like Gas-Glow.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

I just pulled the trigger on a 4500 on ebay. Paid too much for it, but I just had to have it! I do love those big 2 stroke glow engines. Any suggestions on the 4500? What % nitro, how much oil, castor or synthetic, etc, etc?
If the engine is new, and unrun, break it in with a fuel that contains 0%-5% nitromethane and at least 15% oil. Once it's well-broken-in, you can use a fuel with 10%-12% oil content and 0%-5% nitromethane. The oil should be 100% castor oil. That's how SuperTigre designed the engine to run.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 AM
coachdavis10

I'm running mine on 15% nitro which is way to much and i've been putting extra castor in it for break in... Just bought another one so I'm dropping the nitro and probably getting rid of the extra castor. I read on the ST website that 10% omega is ok to run. The place I bought from didn't have 5% this time. I run a glow driver and the more I fiddle with the low end and then adjust the high end and fly it the better it runs. Good luck with your 4500, I love mine
Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Thanks guys. It should be delivered this week. I'm looking foreward to seeing this brute run
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 PM
ppbpilot
My Feedback: (3)

Folks,
I purchased a used ST S3000 off of E-Bay recently. It did not come with a muffler. It has a large size fuel hose nipple mounted on the backplate. This nipple had remnants of the large silicone fuel hose you can buy at the Hobby Shop on it, which I removed. I have been away from RC for about 30 years, but I seem to remember that some folks would get their fuel tank pressure from the crankcase and not the muffler. Does this fitting sound like that?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM
fujiman

ORIGINAL: ppbpilot

Folks,
I purchased a used ST S3000 off of E-Bay recently. It did not come with a muffler. It has a large size fuel hose nipple mounted on the backplate. This nipple had remnants of the large silicone fuel hose you can buy at the Hobby Shop on it, which I removed. I have been away from RC for about 30 years, but I seem to remember that some folks would get their fuel tank pressure from the crankcase and not the muffler. Does this fitting sound like that?
NO!!!!!!!! DO NOT hook that line directly to the tank, it will over pressurize the tank and flood the eng. this fit/line is for getting pulse pressure from crank case to a fuel regulator pump like what perry sells. i am using this line/port to use pulse press to operate the pump diaphram in my walbro WT-499 alky carb. these big super tigers have had fuel draw problems caused by carb. issues and too large of a muffler out lets (to little muff. press. to tank) causing fuel lean out problems, etc. plus most if not all these big tigers are over compressed and like 0 to 5% at most nitro fuels with less oil content. some fuel suppliers actually sell super tigre fuels just for the big tigres. i install an extra head shim to lower compression a little so i can run a little higher nitro, my choice, because i have other engs. that use 15% nitro and i don't want to have 14 different fuel mixes and containers. some of the enya 4stks. had over compressed issues also. sounded like they were frying eggs, but really it was detonation problems. the europeans use very low if any nitro fuels so most of their engs. no matter what make had/have high compression. we in this country, it seems, like to wring out the very last oz. of power out of our engs. so we run as much nitro as we can afford in our engs. so we shoot ourself in the foot so to speak and make problems where problems shouldn't be. Anyway back to your ?, if you don't plan on using a press delivery system just put a plug in this line and you should be ready to go, except for the problems i have mentioned. [&o] hope this sheds some lite on the subject for you.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 AM
ppbpilot
My Feedback: (3)

Fujiman,

Thanks so much for that info. I will just plug that line as I don't plan on using a pump.
Thanks again!

PPBpilot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.