Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

*** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 02:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
Whats wrong with the Chinese Tigres Tim ? Did you dream that the faries screwed with them like OS's liners ? Why do you feel the need to take a swipe at OS when the thread is about ST and nobody other than you even brought the subject up ?

Because cheating & lying companies like OS are "winning" and good companies are going by the wayside (SuperTigre, Webra, K&B, etc.) that were more honest about what they were selling. OS and their marketing campaign has blown so much smoke up people's butts for so long, it's sad. So many people put OS on a pedestal as if it's the only thing you should ever buy, yet handling one and comparing to a ST or K&B engine, I see no difference in fit and finish. What I see in ST for example, is real chromed liners, well fitted steel liners and ringed Pistons, and a carburetor second to none. Did you know that OS nickel plates their steel liners in some of their ringed engines?

At the end of the day, they take the kind of shortcuts the Chinese do and charge twice and in some cases triple for them. That isn't worthy of being on a pedestal if you ask me. Enjoy what you enjoy, but don't think I'm gonna burp flowers and fart rainbows because some guys are in love with OS and I'm not. I think they are a despicable company using bad business ethics to make money. A bit like the government.

Blah. I'm done on the soapbox. Have fun.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:25 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been a fan of OS although I have several, which have always run well. It's just that I always thought they were way overpriced. I picked themup used, so didn't pay too much for them. I also have several Italian STs, which also have always run well. Never thought I payed too much for STs. Never tried the Chinese STs but heard good things about them.

CR
Old 02-08-2017, 06:06 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Charley
I've never been a fan of OS although I have several, which have always run well. It's just that I always thought they were way overpriced. I picked themup used, so didn't pay too much for them. I also have several Italian STs, which also have always run well. Never thought I payed too much for STs. Never tried the Chinese STs but heard good things about them.

CR
I'm with you almost 100%. I started in cars and still run cars... Early on, everyone said OS was the end-all be-all RC car engine. Yet those OS guys had more problems than the guys using the Chinese stuff. The aircraft guys have less problems and those aircraft engines are the only OS engines using nickel liners. Their car engines are mostly all true ABC and don't exhibit the peeling problem that the aircraft engines do. They do wear out much quicker than other brands though. The racers consistently run Italian engines and don't have nearly as many problems. I have a half dozen OS engines one of which I paid for. The others were given to me. Most run okay, but l would go to a different brand of engine out of the gate before an OS every time.

On the subject of ST - I've seen several Chinese STs run - they seem to run fine and tune just as well as the Italian versions... I just choose to buy the Italian made engines. I find much more confidence with the Italian engines because they've consistently ran the way I expect them to.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:21 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Anyone have an experience with the Super Tigre 3000?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Because cheating & lying companies like OS are "winning" and good companies are going by the wayside (SuperTigre, Webra, K&B, etc.) that were more honest about what they were selling. OS and their marketing campaign has blown so much smoke up people's butts for so long, it's sad. So many people put OS on a pedestal as if it's the only thing you should ever buy, yet handling one and comparing to a ST or K&B engine, I see no difference in fit and finish. What I see in ST for example, is real chromed liners, well fitted steel liners and ringed Pistons, and a carburetor second to none. Did you know that OS nickel plates their steel liners in some of their ringed engines?

At the end of the day, they take the kind of shortcuts the Chinese do and charge twice and in some cases triple for them. That isn't worthy of being on a pedestal if you ask me. Enjoy what you enjoy, but don't think I'm gonna burp flowers and fart rainbows because some guys are in love with OS and I'm not. I think they are a despicable company using bad business ethics to make money. A bit like the government.

Blah. I'm done on the soapbox. Have fun.
They kinda disserved their price till the late 80's or early 90's, when they started nickel plating and using cheap bearings,.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
They kinda disserved their price till the late 80's or early 90's, when they started nickel plating and using cheap bearings,.

My problem with the older OS stuff is related to how loosely they were fitted. I replaced the piston and liner in a .25 FSR with NOS parts and the fit of the new parts was nearly identical with the old parts. I think it made about 300rpm more with the new set after a 45min break-in. I don't see much value in loosely fitted parts. Nickel or not, I don't see as much value in OS as I do other manufacturers. Of course value means different things to different people. Enya pricing direct from the factory is on par (a little cheaper) with OS, but Enya engines are fitted so much better. I'll take a long break-in of a tight engine over a short break-in of a loosey goosey OS.

I have a NIB Italian GS45 ABC that is very tight. I would trade my TT Pro .46 for another new Italian GS45 in a heartbeat - and I love my TT .46. I've thrashed the beans out of it and it's still as nice inside as it was when I bought it NIB. (The TT was fitted rather loosely too which bummed me out, but it isn't peeling either..)
Old 02-08-2017, 08:45 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Charley

CR
My most heavily used engine is a Chinese ST G51. I purchased it 10 years ago and has gone through a ring and bearing replacement. It has never let me down and performed flawlessly. I personally don't like the heavy cast muffler and have replaced it with a MACs one-piece muffler for weight reduction. But that is my personal preference.

Interestingly the ST 40/45/51 weigh as much as the OS 46AX because of the heavy ST cast muffler. But without mufflers, the ST is noticeably lighter than the OS.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The COMO .40 was the engine of choice for Quickee 500 in Texas back in the 80's. Short header with a Mac's pipe and an 8.75x6.5 Rev-Up prop had you turning around 21K on the ground. I still have 2 of those engines and except for bearing replacement, they still run great.

(COMO was an off-label Supertigre imported by World Engines and others.)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:28 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer
The COMO .40 was the engine of choice for Quickee 500 in Texas back in the 80's. Short header with a Mac's pipe and an 8.75x6.5 Rev-Up prop had you turning around 21K on the ground. I still have 2 of those engines and except for bearing replacement, they still run great.

Love my Como:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	COMO 90.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	2200259  
Old 02-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Charley

Originally Posted by Lifer

What Quickee rules were you running under? AMA Quickee didn't allow pipes. Later, tuned mufflers were allowed if they came with the engine. I ran a Fox Quickee .40 for a while. Couldn't get a consistent needle though.......

CR
Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 PM
tony0707

So who is selling the St engines at this time if tower is no longer doing that ?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:00 PM
tony0707

Frank Bowmans RC ring business was bought and will be reopening
We can keep the older ST ringed engines running with a good rebuild as long as new rings are available

Enjoy
Old 02-08-2017, 10:14 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by tony0707
So who is selling the St engines at this time if tower is no longer doing that ?

No one that I know of unless u can find old stock somewhere .
Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Charley,

It was the popular set up in Texas at that time.

Also, I had the same problem with the Fox Quickee engine.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 AM
JNorton

Originally Posted by Insanemoondoggie
I just got a notice from Tower canceling my Super Tigre back order. Super Tigre is no longer listed on Towers website. Well dang.
Well that just sucks!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

I wonder if this means Great Planes has dropped them? The Super Tigre website still lists them as the exclusive distributor but when was the last time it was updated if ever? I'm starting to get suspicious the company may have gone und r. I hit some of their international dealers and I couldn't find any engines for sale.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 02-09-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:44 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by JNorton
Well that just sucks!
Has anyone tried to contact ST in China where they are now made? Maybe buy them like Enya from Japa
Old 02-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

I understand they refused to make anymore. Probably only interested in selling rights, jigs, and molds.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Which explains why you can get parts or anything else. It would be nice if someone else by them up and keep them in production like Mecoa did with KB.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 PM
crfd

I have a S2000 supertigre engine 25 cc, I need the small backing plate for it and I need a muffler too. Does anybody know if supertigre will restart manufacturing parts and engines again? What's the scuttle out there?
Thanks
Mike
Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 PM
5skyhawk172

Originally Posted by crfd
I have a S2000 supertigre engine 25 cc, I need the small backing plate for it and I need a muffler too. Does anybody know if supertigre will restart manufacturing parts and engines again? What's the scuttle out there?
Thanks
Mike
Watch eba..y lots of S.T. stuff there.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep eBay. I'm watching for a 3000 muffler. Will likely just roll my own. Got an 16 oz aluminum Pepsi bottle that might work out. Attaching is the bigger boo to me.

At least rings should soon be available again from the fellow that bought Bowman's.

Ken
Old 02-14-2017, 03:59 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by crfd
Thanks
Mike

It sounds like Tower dropped the brand. The manufacturer wouldn't or couldn't make parts of engines anymore. I think you're gonna need to do a want ad in the classifieds and/or watch FEEbay.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

The latest word is the current owner has decided NOT to make any new engines or parts and has put the molds, dies, etc. up for sale. I suspect Super Tigre could very well end up as the next Mecoa acquisition. Mecoa already make KB and others, at least they would keep them going.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Regardless of who ends up owning Super Tigre I will continue to scarff them up when I see a good deal. I just purchased a Nearly NIB S3000 with new bearing and rings. It didn't have the tock muffler but it did have a nice under the cowling J'Tec with it. I also picked up another ST .75, one of my favorite engines. Both are Italian built but I'm not choosy I'll buy Chinese built Super Tigres too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.