Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Running engine indoors

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 04:19 PM
oppie
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running engine indoors

There was an article in an RC magazine several years ago on how to build a large muffler to be used when testing and running an engine indoors. It was a gallon size paint can I think filled with steel wool? Anyone recall this or have a good method?
Old 12-25-2006, 05:49 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Running engine indoors

Not wise to do. The guy ran his exhaust via a long pipe to a can with water in it. Remember these things produce a lot of carbon monxide including lots of smoke. If you have say a 40 X 20 building I might consider it but still not wise

Cheers,

Chip
Old 12-25-2006, 06:24 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always thought this photo was funny. That's an open exhaust, gasoline spark ignition engine they're running.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22474.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	583556  
Old 12-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Matthew Allen

ORIGINAL: rainedave

I've always thought this photo was funny. That's an open exhaust, gasoline spark ignition engine they're running.
[X(]

Well, who hasn't wanted to take their shiny engine to bed with them?

Matthew
Old 12-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Don M.

Do what I did with a MVVS gasser I was running on a test stand inside. Put it near the chimney and ran a pipe into the smoke pipe. I did have a picture of it but can't find it now.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Is that "Manny, Moe and Jack?"
Old 12-26-2006, 06:15 AM
Turk1

I did have an empty big pet water bottle(5 liters) ,opened a hole on tap enough for a garden hose diameter and some additional holes upper side of the bottle,then put a long enough garden hose on the muffler outlet(maybe yours needs some clamping ) and put the other side of garden hose into that pet bottle thru the tap hole.Run your engine,no need to care of oil but you will need some open window to breathe.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:18 PM
oppie

I guess I should have explained myself better. I was wanting to test run an engine in my garage with the door slightly open ( because it's cold here) and keep the noise down as well as any smoke.
Anyway thanks Ill wait till it gets warmer
Old 12-26-2006, 02:41 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen guys that put a pipe Rubber at steel at different times up behind the exhaust outlet and had the pipe stuck under the garage door that was open a little. Seemed to work just fine.

I think Clarence Lee, the noted engine expert, does something like this in his garage with an old car muffler all the time so he can keep the noise down and not disturb the neighbors?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:05 AM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a guy who ran his in a spare bedroom. He tied a sock to the muffler. It blew his pictures and posters off of the wall the first time.

There is a new hobby shop in town and they often run gas engines inside. I've seen the new Evo 26 run and it blew all of the model train packets of moss, trees, lichen, etc off of the hooks on the wall and across the shop. They sometimes run a 250cc Moki radial inside. They have 2 turboprop engines on order, so I'm really curious if they will run those inside. Maybe I should take some video shots if they do. Anyway, it is fun to be there when they are running engines.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:29 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was working as a traveling person one time back in the 60's and I was going to fly control line the next day in the circle at the city park in Chilicothie, OH. So I thought I would make sure my OS MAX 35 on a Magician was going to run. I primed it, hooked up the glow plug, and gave it a flip. There was no fuel in the tank but it ran longer than anticipated. I was in a motel room. So I grabbed the prop and just about cut my right thumb off. I never grabbed any more props.

Needless to say, I didn't get to fly the next day. I still have the scar on my thumb.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 AM
oppie

this only proves that you know this hobby is reserved for those of us who are the wackiest. That hobby shop only proves it. I'm glad my wife doesn't read RC Groups. LOL
Old 12-27-2006, 12:30 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

LOL... I tried running a Fox 35 in my basement when I was about 15 while my parents were out. When I was done everything in the basement was covered with a thin film of oil

The steel wool filter is a good idea. They use a similar thing at work to remove the oil mist from the exhaust of vacuum pumps.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Turk1

No need steel wool or such things.You need only a big pet bottle to pick oil.Also reduces noise as silencer some kind.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:22 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

If you want to run your engine in your garage, JUST DO IT. No need for all the complicated mufflers etc. Just put some ear plugs in and go for it. Only an uptight old guy would make such a hassle out of running an engine in the garage. All those elaborate mufflers do is make sure your engine does not run like it will on the acutal plane, not good.

RC engines are very small, and unless you run it in the garage with all the doors and windows sealed for hours, you are not going to have a problem with carbon monoxide etc.

Jeez, some people just have to make a big deal out of everything.

JettPilot
Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 PM
blw

Ear plugs? You don't need no stinkin ear plugs!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

If you want to run your engine in your garage, JUST DO IT. No need for all the complicated mufflers etc. Just put some ear plugs in and go for it. Only an uptight old guy would make such a hassle out of running an engine in the garage. All those elaborate mufflers do is make sure your engine does not run like it will on the acutal plane, not good.

RC engines are very small, and unless you run it in the garage with all the doors and windows sealed for hours, you are not going to have a problem with carbon monoxide etc.

Jeez, some people just have to make a big deal out of everything.

JettPilot
OK, call me old, but I wouldn't do it, even for a couple minutes without good ventilation. It doesn't take much carbon monoxide to cause health problems. Not to mention the oil mist, and the unburned methanol. (Methanol is highly toxic!)

When one lives long enough, he learns that caution is the better side of valor. Perhaps that is why they only send youngun's off to war! Older people KNOW they aren't immortal!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:47 PM
AMB

Ran my irvine 40 diesel in the garage short piece of copper tubing clamped to the exhaust that was shoved into a piece of garden hose wrapped with duct tape under the door into a 5 gallon plastic bucket will water in it almost no noise just a gurgle and no smoke martin
Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I have a large shop (40 x 60) and have ran some engines on occasion. I have a gallon ice cream bucket half filled with floor dry vermiculite, into which i buried the open end of garden hose which had a running engine on the other end.

I also ran my Irvine diesel 40 in my shop. I found a 15 foot length of surgical tubing (an old high start), I just coiled up the extra tubing in the bottom of a galvanised garbage can, and fired it up. It was nearly silent, and the tubing lenght didn't seem to affect the way the engine ran.

My concern was all the oil coating everything, not oxygen starvation. The vermiculite contained all the oil.