Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

O.S. 30FS vs. the Chinese competition??

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S. 30FS vs. the Chinese competition??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Matthew Allen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 30FS vs. the Chinese competition??

I was idly considering the prospect of acquiring a small four stroke, having come across a good deal on the O.S. .30FS, but I was wondering how it compares to the competition, particularly the ASP .30FS. The ASP version has ball bearings and a twin needle carb, in comparison to the O.S.'s bushings and air bleed carb.

Is the O.S. still the better engine? Is it more powerful as advertised, or is there no real difference in power between these engines?

I'll probably end up buying neither, but I never get tired of discussing engines.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 12-29-2006, 08:25 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: O.S. 30FS vs. the Chinese competition??

ASP. SC (in the uk) and magnum are the same engine the OS is ball bearing also but not a twin needle carb they are all about the same in power they are less money than OS I have the sc from Just Engines UK runs fine I had an OS26 4 strk which I sold all of the above have more punch martin
Old 12-29-2006, 08:43 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Matthew Allen

I was idly considering the prospect of acquiring a small four stroke, having come across a good deal on the O.S. .30FS, but I was wondering how it compares to the competition, particularly the ASP .30FS. The ASP version has ball bearings and a twin needle carb, in comparison to the O.S.'s bushings and air bleed carb.

Is the O.S. still the better engine? Is it more powerful as advertised, or is there no real difference in power between these engines?

I'll probably end up buying neither, but I never get tired of discussing engines.

Thanks,
Matthew

----------------

Whatever gave you the idea that the OS FS-30 did not have a ball bearing supported crankshaft? Here is a quote from the Tower website.

FEATURES: Rear-mounted updraft carburetor
Helix gear-driven camshaft
Ball bearing-supported crankshaft
Bronze bushing-supported camshaft
Ringed piston
Two year warranty

The OS FS-30 does use an airbleed carb, as did the previous FS-20 and FS-26. My OS FS-20, with airbleed carb, was the sweetest running engine I have ever owned, which is why I bought two OS FS-30 engines a while back. The FS-20 would idle safely and securely at 2,200 or so rpm. Transition was great and the midrange was perfect, all on 5% nitro fuel.

I also had two Magnum (Sanye which is ASP, Magnum and SC) engines. They ran great, except I couldn't get the idle lower than 3k rpm without quitting. These were the first editions of these engines and Mike Greenshields and crew at Magnum USA went above and beyond the call of duty in trying to help me rectify the situation. These engines ran great in every other respect. This was four or five years ago, IIRC. I'm sure the idle problem has been straightened out long ago.

When I spoke in other posts about OS using bushings, I was commenting on how OS uses them at least in the lower end of the connecting rod, as does Sanye. But I suspected that their four-stroke line uses them in the upper end of the connecting rod too. Now that I think of it, I'm not absolutely sure that they do - nor am I sure that Sanye does not. So I'll fess up to being too enthusiastic and say that I really don't know for a fact.

I would ask around and talk to other Sanye .30 four-stroke owners and find out how their engines idle. If they idle down around 2.5k rpm, or under, safely and securely, I would give the Sanye engines due consideration.

Ed Cregger

Old 12-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Matthew Allen

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

ORIGINAL: Matthew Allen

Thanks,
Matthew

----------------

Whatever gave you the idea that the OS FS-30 did not have a ball bearing supported crankshaft? Here is a quote from the Tower website.

FEATURES: Rear-mounted updraft carburetor
Helix gear-driven camshaft
Ball bearing-supported crankshaft
Bronze bushing-supported camshaft
Ringed piston
Two year warranty

The OS FS-30 does use an airbleed carb, as did the previous FS-20 and FS-26. My OS FS-20, with airbleed carb, was the sweetest running engine I have ever owned, which is why I bought two OS FS-30 engines a while back. The FS-20 would idle safely and securely at 2,200 or so rpm. Transition was great and the midrange was perfect, all on 5% nitro fuel.

I also had two Magnum (Sanye which is ASP, Magnum and SC) engines. They ran great, except I couldn't get the idle lower than 3k rpm without quitting. These were the first editions of these engines and Mike Greenshields and crew at Magnum USA went above and beyond the call of duty in trying to help me rectify the situation. These engines ran great in every other respect. This was four or five years ago, IIRC. I'm sure the idle problem has been straightened out long ago.

When I spoke in other posts about OS using bushings, I was commenting on how OS uses them at least in the lower end of the connecting rod, as does Sanye. But I suspected that their four-stroke line uses them in the upper end of the connecting rod too. Now that I think of it, I'm not absolutely sure that they do - nor am I sure that Sanye does not. So I'll fess up to being too enthusiastic and say that I really don't know for a fact.

I would ask around and talk to other Sanye .30 four-stroke owners and find out how their engines idle. If they idle down around 2.5k rpm, or under, safely and securely, I would give the Sanye engines due consideration.

Ed Cregger

You're quite right about the bearings, not sure where I got the idea the OS engine didn't have them.

Thanks for the replies, anyone else with experience of these engines?

Matthew
Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

The Magnum, SC or ASP run about as well as the OS and cost less. No doubt the OS has the highest quality....take your pick. I have both.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Matthew, you can probably still get a Saito .30 in your part of the world, it too is a simple airbleed, the engine is totally reliable, mine has never deadsticked, it turns a Graupner 10x5 at 10,948 rpm and makes it sound easy. It has a deep authoritative sound for a small engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85286.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	586305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34751.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	586306  
Old 12-30-2006, 12:50 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an ASP 30 fs that I bought from Peakmodels this year. I will try to tach it by this weekend to see how low it will idle. Before I used a wood prop and I felt idle was good then, but now I use APC 11-4 which have way more flywheel effect so I suppose idle will be great. That is if I can get my tach to work during this rather dark time of year up here. I bet it will idle well below 3k
Old 12-30-2006, 01:07 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I have an OS .30FS in a Modeltech Cub. It is an inverted installation. It starts easily, runs beautifully and has surprising power. I am using an APC 9x6 prop and it really moves out. My buddies were rather surprised. I bought another a few months ago. I have a Magnum .30FS on a Slowpoke but have never flown or run the motor
Old 12-30-2006, 01:10 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Matthew, you can probably still get a Saito .30 in your part of the world, it too is a simple airbleed, the engine is totally reliable, mine has never deadsticked, it turns a Graupner 10x5 at 10,948 rpm and makes it sound easy. It has a deep authoritative sound for a small engine.

---------------

I would like to find a Saito FA-30 myself, to help complete my collection of Saito singles.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Matthew Allen

A Saito would be sweet, but the only reason I was asking about the OS was because I'd seen it a little cheaper than usual, at least by the standards of this side of the pond. A Saito certainly would not be cheap, especially considering I don't even need an engine at the moment.

Matthew
Old 12-30-2006, 08:25 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a OS 26 and three Saito 30's. I also have some experience with a Magnum/ASP 30 in recent times.

The Saito has a lot more power and is easier to break in than the OS or Magnum/ASP.

The Magnum took more break in than the other engines. It also would not pull a 10-6 prop until it had a few tanks of fuel through it.

After the break in the Magnum performed well. It did exhibit the not idling well below 3000 in the beginning which presented no problem on our grass field. After flying it some it got on down closer to 2500 but that about as low as it will ever idle.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:29 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I have 4 OS 26's and engogh parts to build another. I also have a Saito 30 and a HP 21 (as well as a pile of other 4 strokes) I've been very happy with the OS 26's, and they have become one of my favorite engines. The Saito 30 is a bit better in every was to the 26's, with more power and a bit lighter in weight. The HP 21 really isn't in the same class.
My choice would be the Saito, even though I haven't tried the FS 30 myself, I prefer the design of the Saito with the straight cut gears on the camshaft, opposed to the helical gears that OS use. The helical gearset induces a side thrust to the camshaft that is accomodated by one ball in the end of the camshaft. Granted, this design works pretty well in it's lightly loaded engine, but once that bushing and ball are worn out, the engine is trash, as the bushing can't be replaced.

The Saito cam bushing is inside the camshaft, and can be replaced by replacing the camshaft.

Just little design differences that point out the clever Saito engineers are thinking about making their engine last forever.

I used to think that Enya's cam design was pretty well thought-out, until I ran into an Enya with worn cam bushings. You can buy a new cam chest that has new bushings for the rear of the camshafts, but you cannot replace the bushings in the case. When the case cam bushings go, you have to buy a new crankcase to replace them, just like OS.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:40 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: donkey doctor

Hello; I have 4 OS 26's and engogh parts to build another. I also have a Saito 30 and a HP 21 (as well as a pile of other 4 strokes) I've been very happy with the OS 26's, and they have become one of my favorite engines. The Saito 30 is a bit better in every was to the 26's, with more power and a bit lighter in weight. The HP 21 really isn't in the same class.
My choice would be the Saito, even though I haven't tried the FS 30 myself, I prefer the design of the Saito with the straight cut gears on the camshaft, opposed to the helical gears that OS use. The helical gearset induces a side thrust to the camshaft that is accomodated by one ball in the end of the camshaft. Granted, this design works pretty well in it's lightly loaded engine, but once that bushing and ball are worn out, the engine is trash, as the bushing can't be replaced.

The Saito cam bushing is inside the camshaft, and can be replaced by replacing the camshaft.

Just little design differences that point out the clever Saito engineers are thinking about making their engine last forever.

I used to think that Enya's cam design was pretty well thought-out, until I ran into an Enya with worn cam bushings. You can buy a new cam chest that has new bushings for the rear of the camshafts, but you cannot replace the bushings in the case. When the case cam bushings go, you have to buy a new crankcase to replace them, just like OS.

----------------

Ah, but the Saito connecting rod isn't bushed at either end. Fortunately, replacing the connecting rod does restore the engine to perfect condition.

I haven't heard of OS four-strokes failing in the camshaft area. Have you? I don't get out much, so maybe that is why.

I like all of the engine brands. My favorite engines are selected by how they run and last. Sometimes how they look too.

Ed Cregger

Old 01-01-2007, 12:06 AM
bjw4072
My Feedback: (6)

The OS-30 and Saito-30 4-strokes are both great engines and I have them both but not a Chinese copy
that are also probably equivalent to the Japanese engines.
As I live in the US, I have a preference for buying US products first, if not available then I
will buy Japanese, then European, etc; but Chinese products are a last resort unless the price-performance is
substantially better. Just my personal preferences, not always logical but I can't help it.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 PM
allensimpson1

donky doctor

I have just aquired a magnum 30fs with alnost no time on it.and can get it to idle quite low with the low end needle. I also have an os 26fs that I have used for a number of years and have loaned it out to a fellow flier and he has used it quite a bit this summer and it is still chuging along quite well. I also have two Saito 30fs engines and can not get them to idle much below 3000 rpm, the same problem one of the engine reviewers noted in one of our magazines shortly after I purchased mine. I have been working on engines for over 30 years working on mine and others and have had problems with only six engines, two had holes in their heads (os) and these two Saitos and a couple of Fox 25s. If you can tell me how to get my Saitos to run as well as the Magnum or os I would sure appreciate it
Old 11-25-2011, 06:57 PM
jessiej

I have had OS, Saito, and Magnum .30s. My experience was similar to that of w8ye described in a previous post.

jess
Old 11-25-2011, 07:16 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen a lot a variability in the Magnum/ASP 30 size four strokes. Some run pretty good while others have leaky valves and will not idle for toot.

I got a Magnum 30 in a horse trade about 3 yrs ago. It was the best running Magnum 30 I had seen. But, it dropped a valve before I got it in the air. It bent the intake valve guide when the valve spring broke. Wouldn't idle for toot after that. I traded it off. It wasn't cost effective to put a head on it. Magnum parts are a real duck shoot from a quality standpoint. I did find out that the OS 30 valve springs are twice as strong as the Magnum 30 valve springs.

My 3 Saito 30 four strokes run and idle perfect and always have. No problems at all.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that the Chinese made four strokes may run OK, there is sort of a luck of the draw there.
To save money and lower the cost of production, the Chinese tend to cut corners and use substandard materials a lot.
So the ball bearings may not be all that good. Sometimes the bearings last a while, sometimes not. Usually the cage in the rear bearing comes apart while the engine is running. Which isn't good.
Whoever makes the carbs has been getting better over the years. But you could still have problems with the needle valve not staying centered properly which leads to false needle settings. A short piece of XL fuel tubing usually fixes the problem with the needle valve.
Then the valve guides may be a little bit loose, which leads to the engine smoking a lot more than it should, but it usually runs OK otherwise.
The compression may be lower than normal, which can force you to run 15% pr 20% nitromethane glow fuel in the engine to get it to run OK.
Since the Chinese tend to cut corners to lower costs, the metallurgy is always questionable. You never know if the steel is good quality or substandard, or whether the aluminum alloys used are good or not.
Finally, parts typically don't exist for the engines here in the USA. So if something breaks you have to get another engine. Plus warranty support tends to be non-existant too. Now not all the Chinese engines fall into that category, I think for example that Magnum and Evolution have parts available to some extent for their brands of engines.
It is all to lower costs so the engines are as cheap as they can make them.

I like the Saito or Enya four stroke engines myself. The new Saito 40a engine is super awesome and runs great. Same size as a .26 or .30 engine but it is bored out to a .40 displacement size.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 AM
lavagrit

saito fa-40a is a very good engine. light and powerful. it is a twin needle card.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 PM
asmund

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Finally, parts typically don't exist for the engines here in the USA. So if something breaks you have to get another engine.

Yes, either that or just get on-line and order the parts outside of US, easy peasy
Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: asmund
ORIGINAL: earlwb
Finally, parts typically don't exist for the engines here in the USA. So if something breaks you have to get another engine.
Yes, either that or just get on-line and order the parts outside of US, easy peasy
But some of the more popular on-line stores won't sell parts to the USA. Other websites conveniently leave the USA off their list of countries too.
There may be some sort of contractual obligations behind it with the USA and those who import and sell engines in the USA too.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:24 PM
earlwb

For years I wanted to have a small twin engined plane equipped with two OS FS-26 engines that I had on hand. Eventually I got around to it and put the engines in a little Twinstar. It flies good with them too.

More recently I outfitted a P82 twin Mustang with two Saito FA-40a engines and the power is just awesome with those two engines on the plane.
When I was checking the specs, I found that the FA40a engine weighs a little less than a Thunder Tiger pro .36 two stroke engine with muffler. So that sold me on using the Saito engines. I was pleasantly surprised at how strong the engines ran too.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:29 PM
earlwb

When I mas messing around with a couple of ASP .61 four stroke engines a year or two ago, I needed to run 15% to 20% nitro-glow fuel in them before they ran OK and I had to slip on a piece of fuel tubing to stabilize the main needle valve on the engines. They still tended to load up a little at idle and generate a short blue oil cloud when you came off of idle though. They likely have slightly loose valve guides allowing the engine to suck in oil when at idle or low speed. Other than that the engines ran OK.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM
allensimpson1

I'm not sure as I haven't had to do this yet with my os26 but I think replacing the bushings could be done by tapping the bushings, support the housing and pull it out with a screw or bolt. If you are handy wth a lathe you can then make yourself new bushings and replace the old ball with a new one probably purchased at your local bearing company. A fair amount of work but worth it if you really like this engine and you are not able to find parts or a new engine. Just a thought.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:58 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

[8D] I have been watching this thread with intrest , since ive go a brand new ASP91 sitting in its box , and Im curious as to the general consensus as to the quality (or lack thereof) of these engines . Im already running a bunch of OS , both two and four strokes , and have had no troubles that can be blamed on engine design/manufacture .

Im sittin on a couple of sweet Saitos as well , , all in good time .......

Oh , and to answer the OP , , the OS FS30 runs just as good as all my other OS , so as long as you get a good example of one used , or buy one brand new , youll most likely do fine with it . ANY individul engine from any manufacturer , can have a problem , thats what warrentys are supposed to take care of , but I know of no troubles that are design issues with these engines ......

Good Luck and Happy Flying [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.