Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

info on older super tigre (X series)

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

info on older super tigre (X series)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:35 PM
tomahawk44
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on older super tigre (X series)

Hello, i have an old super tigre .60 size engine, the one side says .60 with a large G around it, above that it has- Serie X, it also has a blue head, any info would be great, thanks. this is a ringed engine.

Moderator added (X-series) to the title....
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: info on older super tigre

The Blue Head G 60's were made in several variations back in the 70's & early 80's
Old 01-03-2007, 08:04 PM
tomahawk44

thanks for the reply, i see blue heads, but the X serie had me confused, do you know anything about the serie x models,
Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some one will come on here shortly
Old 01-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: info on older super tigre (X series)

The X-series STs were powerful for their size. They were also like most Super Tigres, very user-friendly and reliable.

Dr.1
Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 PM
tomahawk44

DR.1 thanks, i bought a bi-plane and it had this engine up front, it looks like new, someday i'll fire her up, thanks to all who replied to my question, Tomahawk44
Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kweasel has helped me with mine. I don't know a whole lot about them, but they are a more powerful version of the G60.
Is your a rear exhaust, or does it come out the side of the case?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: proptop

Kweasel has helped me with mine. I don't know a whole lot about them, but they are a more powerful version of the G60.
Is your a rear exhaust, or does it come out the side of the case?

--------------

I remember seeing the ST X-60 rear exhaust engines at the pattern contests, back in the day (very early eighties). They seemed to rev up and pull hard when on a pipe, just like all of the other engines the guys were flying regularly. I was always going to try one, but never got around to it. I forget why, other than they were not on the trendy "hotlist" such as Rossi, YS, Webra and even OS (for the poor schleppers like me). They had a good reputation for reliability and their prices were good too.

I seem to remember that they weren't considered to be ported in the normal Schneurle fashion. Back then, if it wasn't Schneurle ported, you weren't a serious pattern flyer, regardless of how the engine actually performed. From my memory of the sound of them running up in the pits, they sounded like they were running just as fast as the rest of the engines, minus Rossi, of course.

I would like to have one today. I think I'll look around and see if I can locate one on the auction sites.

Ed, NM2K
Old 01-04-2007, 03:09 AM
proptop

Actually I haven't gotten my X .60 yet...still "in transit"...the tracking # says later today...it's an earlier version I believe. It has the rounded head fins similar to the early 70's G .60 FISE with the same finish. (before the glass bead blasted look?)
Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 AM
Dr1Driver

You're right, Ed. The X series ran GREAT with a pipe. Yea, the Rossi, YS, and Webra could out pull/run it (and most other engines). However, consider the Rossi had carb barrel retaining bolt breakage problems (due to vibration), and muffler rear section loosening problems (same erason). It shook! The YS had that pump which was touchy, and MUST be kept clean. Letting one sit for even a week could clog it and necessitate a tear down to clean it out. Rossi and YS were also HEAVY. LOUD, too!!! The Rossi would hurt your ears at close range. YS had a bad habit of kicking back when starting, too. Most YS users carried extra prop nuts in their flight box. Webra was more user-friendly than those two, but would kick back when starting - HARD. Would often start backwards. Lots of compression. Extremely powerful. Also loud. Heavier than the ST, but lighter than the Rossi or YS. If you had the Dynamix carb, you had a REALLY good engine, but the setting and tuning directions MUST be followed to the letter. The TN carb throat was huge, and if you set it too lean, it would sag in tight maneuvers. With the right prop, it unloaded a LOT in the air, and must be set slightly rich on the ground.

All that being said, they are all good engines and all have their proper applications.

Dr.1
Old 01-04-2007, 07:15 AM
larryseng

I have a .61 super tiger engine, I need a low speed needle valve for it. Anyone have one? or know where I could find one? Thanks Larry [email protected]
Old 01-04-2007, 09:18 AM
tomahawk44

Proptop, the exhaust comes out the side, it has round fins, blue- and the finish is smooth, not like the rossi i have, thanks, tomahawk44
Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Larry, Tower Hobbies has parts for the modern Super Tigers and they are about as cheap as any engine out there. I be if you go to their web site and look Parts Centaral and click on Super Tiger you will locate one.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:32 PM
tomahawk44

Thanks again guys for all the good words, this site is great, Tomahawk44
Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

I just optained an x 60 with side exhaust and pipe.. It is like new condition..What size prop will that use ?? 11x7.5 ?? Any info would be great.. Thanks ...
Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 AM
proptop

That should be a good starting point...11x7.5 give or take a little bit of pitch either way.
They like to rev...

Do you have the Super Tigre pipe, or...?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM
warbird72

How much do you think it's worth ?? It is like new..S/E with pipe...
Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 AM
proptop

Not sure what the market is like right now?
I got one a couple years ago (no pipe ) for 90 bucks NIB.

If you could find a "Ballistic Pattern" guy looking for one, you might do well...(being a used engine, that's gonna knock down the value considerably )

If your tuned pipe is the genuine Super Tigre header / pipe combo specifically made for that engine, that could make a big difference.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
jjscott

The first G60s had bypass porting. They were made in many varieties, different head types, ringed, unringed, and with flat topped pistons as well as with baffle tops. Super Tigre began experimenting with modified schnurle style porting on these engines. They were made with the Super Tigre version (TST) and with true Perry porting. The Perry ported versions had the boxes marked Perry; this signified the port type, not the carb type.

The first true schnurle ported 60 was the G60 X series. These were, in fact, schnurle ported engines. Any X series designation indicates schnurle porting, which was available on the smaller engines as well.

The cases retained the G60 markings. Above the G60 the case said Serie X. There were two versions, the SL (scarico laterale) side exhaust and SP (scarico posteriore) rear exhaust. Peter Chinn tested the rear exhaust version in MAN, September 1979, and obtained 1.60 hp on open exhaust and about 1.30 hp with the restrictive ST muffler. Chinn also recorded 1.60 hp on the last pre-schnurle G60 with that engine's combined Super Tigre and Perry angled bypass ports.

Later Super Tigre released the S series engines, all of which were schnurle ported and the the G61 series of today, which are also schnurle ported.

Jim
Old 08-17-2017, 05:13 PM
beachsideflyer

Hi guys, hope you can help me as I am trying to resurrect an old Suppertigger .60 serie X rear exhaust motor with the rounded blue head design. All seams well with it except for the front or rear crank bearings. Could anyone tell me what size they are?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 AM
warbird72

Default Supertigre 60 bearings

Hello. If you go to boca bearings.com you can do a model search on there site! They sell bearing kits for just about every engine out there. If not. You will have to remove the bearings and measure them for the correct size. There again boca bearings can help you out. Or just call them. Teddy Jeff allen. They can help you out.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Their site isn't always accurate. It's best to remove the old bearings and measure them. You have to take the old bearings out to replace them anyway, may as well do it right and measure the old ones.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:12 AM
warbird72

Yup. Your right. I have ran into the bearing not being the correct size a few times. Measure them is the best way to make sure your getting the right stuff.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:52 PM
beachsideflyer

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Their site isn't always accurate. It's best to remove the old bearings and measure them. You have to take the old bearings out to replace them anyway, may as well do it right and measure the old ones.
I'm soaking the whole front case/crank/ Bearing assay in penetrating oil now. Does the front bearing cover/prop washer unscrew or just pull off?
Old 08-19-2017, 04:56 PM
beachsideflyer

I'm soaking the front end of the engine in penetrating oil for a few days, does the front bearing cover unscrew or just pull off?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.