Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum Pro 46 SE vs Magnum 46 XLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:30 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Pro 46 SE vs Magnum 46 XLS

I bought a 'New In The Box' Magnum PRO 46 SE; I'm not familiar with this particular engine, I have been using the 46 XLS on several planes, with excellant results and consider them a great engine; this PRO 46 SE appear different than the XL, slightly longer stroke20mm vs 19.6mm, and slightly smaller bore 21.8mm vs 22mm; and slightly heaver at 17.01ozs vs 16.4ozs; will it run just as good as the XLS. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Pepe J
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Magnum Pro 46 SE vs Magnum 46 XLS

Don't quote me on this, but your Magnum Pro 46 SE is an early Thunder Tiger engine made in Taiwan. A far better engine in terms of quality than the XLS 46 (China) but may not be quite as powerful? The SE has one of the best carb's out there IMO. One of the best running engines I've come across.
The current line of Thunder Tiger Pro 46 parts should be interchangeable with your SE if you need parts.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Pro SE, runs really good, carb is junk on this one. Leaks so bad it won't shut off. Got it used, the carb is not the original, I swapped one off a XLS I bought from the same guy. There was a problem with the SE carb, so I swapped the two, and sold the XLS. I've heard they are early TT too.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Pepe J
My Feedback: (2)

You probably just needed a O-ring kit for the carb. I bought my SE used. Ran like crap at first. There is a double o-ring with a relief on the spray bar at the fuel inlet. Debris tends to collect there causing mixture problems. I just cleaned it out, installed an in-line filter, never a problem again.

I've had both the SE and a XLS 52 apart for thorough inspection's. The XLS doesn't even come close in terms of quality to the SE IMO.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

This one leaks out the side of the barrel, you can watch bubbles and fuel come out while running. Poor fit between the barrel and carb body. Need to find a better carb, I've heard the XLS carbs were junk in the old days, that's what this one is off of.