Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: worst engine ever

ORIGINAL: Enrique-F3A

The worst I have had was a YS 91 FZ

-

Was that the first edition with the titanium piston? Lots of Americans broke pistons using too much nitro with the first edition. That was the last low/no nitro engine that YS made, IIRC.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 AM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My "worst" engine was an Austrlian Taipan 15 diesel. As an 11 year old, I just could not start it. So I sold it and bought an OS 15 II and never looked back.

Actually the Taipan was a really nice engine and if I still had it it would be quite valuable. I still have the remains of the OS. Starting it for the first time led to bloody fingers but we got there in the end. I think we were tougher (or more stupid) in those days.

I also had (and still have) a really nasty Super Tigre G20 15D diesel. It was made from cast off parts and worn out parts. (We were kids and we did not have much cash then so any motor that we could get was going to be used). It would run and run and run but it was totally clapped out. We called it "Joe Superloose" and if you got it tuned right you could win races with it. But get it slightly overcompressed or lean and it would slow down but not stop and you would have to limp along until the fuel ran out. Very embarrassing. Despite this, it would start easily hot or cold but with a Bartel's fibreglass prop it was deadly on the fingers and by this time I had learned to always use some form of finger protection.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Enrique-F3A

Ed,

Mine did not break the piston but, trying to run it after break in, I had some dead sticks and crashed the airplane. I finally knew that it (mine) only runs properly on 30 % nitro. I send it back to YS performance but they did not repaired the engine. I can not use it as 30 % nitro is extremely costly in our country. It is not only my case, a friend of mine that has a 91 FZ too, crashed his model for the same reason, he used 15 % nitro instead 30 % and had a fatal dead stick.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 PM
NM2K

Sorry to hear of you and your friend's crashes. That's never fun.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: mike109

I also had (and still have) a really nasty Super Tigre G20 15D diesel. It was made from cast off parts and worn out parts. (We were kids and we did not have much cash then so any motor that we could get was going to be used). It would run and run and run but it was totally clapped out. We called it "Joe Superloose" and if you got it tuned right you could win races with it. But get it slightly overcompressed or lean and it would slow down but not stop and you would have to limp along until the fuel ran out. Very embarrassing. Despite this, it would start easily hot or cold but with a Bartel's fibreglass prop it was deadly on the fingers and by this time I had learned to always use some form of finger protection.
That is a great story. I bet you had a ton of fun with that engine. Something about being a kid makes things like that more fun that possible nowadays.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Morning Diesel Gas Man

I'd be interested in hearing how things go with the replacement carburettor for the MDS if you decide to go down that route.

If ever I get back to Oz I'll visit the museum in Canberra with that Albatross fighter on display, probably the best example in the world.

Talking of WW1, I plan to visit the Somme on the bike for the commemoration on 1st July when nearly 20,000 were killed on the first morning. Last time I went I used a push-bike and met a couple of Australians in a Citoen 2CV. I showed them where the Australians had fought. We took the front wheel off the bike and drove around with the forks sticking out of the roof of the car!

Well I'm rambling. This is an aeromodelling site and I'm beginning to go off the subject, however, if you're interested in my trip to Galipolli last year please contact me at: [email protected]. I've written an account of the journey and will send you a copy.

Happy Landings

DD

Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Hi Ed

Isn't it funny, I've never had a problem with the OS40 FP. I've had two, both bought second-hand and both ran well. One had a slight castor stain on the cylinder. In an attempt to soften the oil prior to cleaning I put the engine in the oven. I then forgot about it. When I took the engine out of the oven, the oil had gone but so had all of the silver paint which OS use to paint their engines! Yet it still ran well.

I put it in one of those execrable Precedent Hi-Boys and sold the two of them with a radio for over £90 ($180) in an auction several years ago. Was I pleased!

I suppose OS produce thousands of engines so the occasional bad one might just slip through. With used engines you never know their history. Someone may have run them in too lean or damaged the caburettor in some way resulting in eratic running. I've never had a problem with any of the FPs.

About the down-wind turn Ed, what do you tell beginners about this manoevre? I normally say that the model will be travelling very rapidly on the down-wind leg but that the airflow over the control surfaces may be less than on the up-wind or cross wind legs, consequently requiring greater input from the pilot.

As always, it's a question of balancing elevator and rudder, (ailerons on a four channel model) and this ability is only acquired with experience.

Happy Landings

Dave Davis
Old 05-03-2008, 01:54 AM
mike109

G'day When I started flying control line way back about 1960, I used to make money from mowing lawns and similar activities. I also got about $1 a week for pocket money and all this went into supporting my "balsa wood habit". I used to sweat for each Sunday afternoon so I could go flying only to be constantly damaging engines in prangs, burning out plugs and breaking props. My first OS 15 was pretty well clapped after about two years. I suspect I was running it too lean. It got to the poingt eventually where it was using a plug a flight and on my small income, this was just not on. Despite all this we had a great time watching the "experts" who build magnificent stunt models with Fox and Merco 35s and who would turn up each comp day with Fox 36 powered brown paper covered Smoothies to use and abuse in combat. I remember the team race teams trying to find reliable powerful engines. ETA 15s were tried but were really savage to start, ETA 29s liked to catch fire and Oliver Tiger 15s were impossible to get. One of the most reliable engines was the Enya 15D.

Actually ,I have been thinking of all the engines I have ever had and the worst by far was a small Davis Charlton diesel of about 0.8cc. It was so badly made that as the liner was tightened into the crank case, it would distort and cause the piston to seize. I managed to get it to fire but never to actually run. I have had lots of glow engines all of them have done what I wanted although a Fox 35 I had was really savage on fingers when starting. I never managed to get it run in and sold it without ever taming it. They are usually such easy to use engines (or so I am told.).
Old 05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
chevy43

ORIGINAL: dieselgasman

Gunfighter, the amourall stops the fuel foaming. I only put in a TINY amount. One drop per 2.5litres.
Cheers
Silicone brake fluid turns to sand in the combustion chamber. I know this from experience from a leaking hydrovac! I would never use Armorall ( mostly silicone) in fuel. Test it by burning it under the direct flame of a plumbers torch and see what the residue is....
Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

worst engine ive had is a tower .61 the low speed/mid range needle valve is constantly off because there is a constant 1/8 inch of free play in the carb. tried heavier springs a nd said screw it. I'll be putting a different carb on it soon.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
fcomer84

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Tower .46. This engine almost got me started in model railroading!A Thunder Tiger Pro .46 brought me back. What a nice running engine!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
ace4-40
Banned

ORIGINAL: Telemaster Sales UK

Hi Ed

Isn't it funny, I've never had a problem with the OS40 FP. I've had two, both bought second-hand and both ran well. One had a slight castor stain on the cylinder. In an attempt to soften the oil prior to cleaning I put the engine in the oven. I then forgot about it. When I took the engine out of the oven, the oil had gone but so had all of the silver paint which OS use to paint their engines! Yet it still ran well.

OS does NOT paint their engines except for the blue LA series. The Gold and Blue heads were anodized. None of the FP series were painted. All natural aluminum.

Ace4-40

Moderator added a formatting code to get the quote to look correct
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember right, my .35 FP has a steel cylinder. Maybe the .40 does also.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

OS 71 Ultimate (blue top). Mine was horrible and would not run steady. Yes, the needle valve stayed put, but the engine would run fine then start to fatten up all on its own till it stopped. Lots of guys on RCU with the older one like mine (perhaps two years old or so) had the same problem. I could never get it right. I gave up and sold it to a guy that said he could make it run. Supposedly later ones of the same engine were good, and I read about how much they are liked.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

ORIGINAL: ace4-40

Hi Ed

OS does NOT paint their engines except for the blue LA series. The Gold and Blue heads were anodized. None of the FP series were painted. All natural aluminum.

Ace4-40

Well maybe OS did n't paint the FP series Ace, but mine certainly came out of the oven a different colour to what it looked like when it went in!

It still ran well, like just about every OS engine I've ever owned, none of which were bought new.

Now the Russian MDS which were probably not imported into the States were awful[:'(]
Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 AM
kersplat

ORIGINAL: ace4-40

Hi Ed

Ace4-40

Well maybe OS did n't paint the FP series Ace, but mine certainly came out of the oven a different colour to what it looked like when it went in!

It still ran well, like just about every OS engine I've ever owned, none of which were bought new.

Now the Russian MDS which were probably not imported into the States were awful[:'(]
MDS......Metal Door Stop
Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

There are a lot of folks spreading bad information out there, RCPAUL. I hope you haven't fallen victim to one of those folks. Fox wasn't the only one to use that spiral groove oil pump idea. It worked too. Problem was when they ran it under the intake tract, but even then, it was only an inconvenience.

Ed Cregger

Sorry Ed, but your off base here. The grove is not spiral, is in the crankcase, and runs straight from the venturi to the front bearing. It lets intermittant air in and, until filled, the engine just would not run at any speed well. After filling, it was a good engine.

Paul
Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
XJet
Banned

What's wrong with this?

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=ESpwvfm5oF8
Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your MDS, XJet, that was the problem with them, occasionally you'd get a good one!

I note that yours was the rear exhaust version designed for pattern ships so they may were more carefully built than the run of the mill models, suffice it only to say that in my experience of helping others to set up their engines, they were not very reliable. Some would run at high speed and cut out at idle, with others it was the opposite, most would just cut out in the air however carefully you'd adjusted the carburettor, changed plug types or altered the tank height. Sometimes the problem could be cured by changing the carburettor, the Super Tigre was a popular choice on the early models but most owners just gave up on them.

Two further points:

1. Put a good 61 into any 40 sized ARTF trainer and it will go like hell!

2. Your engine would not have passed the noise test at my club!!

Happy Landings,

DD

Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger N2ECW

ORIGINAL: Enrique-F3A

The worst I have had was a YS 91 FZ

-

Was that the first edition with the titanium piston? Lots of Americans broke pistons using too much nitro with the first edition. That was the last low/no nitro engine that YS made, IIRC.

Ed Cregger

A low nitro design YS? Was there really such a animal? I know the .91FZ went through some changes but I never heard of this one. I have a .91AC and it is a very nice running engine.

I would suppose that many people simply curse engines that they do not have the skill and knowlege to tune and care for.

I am not trying to imply anything with that statement, but I have seen my share of modelers give up on a engine over some fairly simple problem.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

They were imported into the US and were not awful.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Piet Le Roux

My worst engine was a ASP52. It would run like a demon on the ground but would cut out after about 4 minutes in the air. Tried everything, replaced the piston and sleeve. Only After I replaced the bearings it seemed to have been ok but I sold it the first chance I got. A year or so later the chap I sold it to came flying at our club with it in a Spitfire. It did the same thing, would run well for a while and then just cut out. Everyone helped and gave advice but nothing helped, I stayed well clear of it!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
NM2K

I always said that I would never own an MDS engine too, after reading so much bad about them, but I now have an MDS .48 that came on a built and well used Sig 4*40. The owner assured me that it ran very well. I haven't ran it yet, so I don't truly know, but I think I saw this model flying at a club event once and remarked that whatever was powering it sure did wail. It was probably the same engine.

When turning the prop back and forth between compression, it feels as smooth as a Rossi. It even looks a little like one too.

I'm going to pull the MDS .48 and replace it with a four-stroke engine. It's sacriligious to fly a 4*40 with anything but a four-stroke engine. Afterwards, I'll mount the MDS .48 on the test bench and run it there. Just for kicks.

When flying control line in the USAF, I ended up with a new Cox Medallion .15 engine. It was a bear to hand start, but once running, it was just fine. I used to avoid flying the model with the Cox .15 on it because it was so hard to start. I'm used to one or two flip starts and no matter what I did, I could not learn the drill that would give me those easy starts with the Cox .15 Medallion engine. I ended up giving it to one of the dependent children club members in our base model airplane club (Luke Eagles Model Airplane Club). This was at Luke AFB in Arizona, near Phoenix.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
NM2K

I always said that I would never own an MDS engine too, after reading so much bad about them, but I now have an MDS .48 that came on a built and well used Sig 4*40. The owner assured me that it ran very well. I haven't ran it yet, so I don't truly know, but I think I saw this model flying at a club event once and remarked that whatever was powering it sure did wail. It was probably the same engine.

When turning the prop back and forth between compression, it feels as smooth as a Rossi. It even looks a little like one too.

I'm going to pull the MDS .48 and replace it with a four-stroke engine. It's sacriligious to fly a 4*40 with anything but a four-stroke engine. Afterwards, I'll mount the MDS .48 on the test bench and run it there. Just for kicks.

When flying control line in the USAF, I ended up with a new Cox Medallion .15 engine. It was a bear to hand start, but once running, it was just fine. I used to avoid flying the model with the Cox .15 on it because it was so hard to start. I'm used to one or two flip starts and no matter what I did, I could not learn the drill that would give me those easy starts with the Cox .15 Medallion engine. I ended up giving it to one of the dependent children club members in our base model airplane club (Luke Eagles Model Airplane Club). This was at Luke AFB in Arizona, near Phoenix.

Ed Cregger

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.