Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Laser?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Joespeeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Carosel43,

Any update planed on the new Laser Web site that will include engine dimensions? Makes it a little tough going back and forth between your old and new web sites.

Has Laser ever done an inline twin would love to tuck an engine into a Huri nose without bits hanging out.

I saw Mick Reeves made a V4 100cc that looked very cool. Could an Inline Twin be done in similar fashion ?

Joe

Last edited by Joespeeder; 03-13-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Carosel43

Hi Joe, Dimension drawings are on their way but as its a low priority (against building engines) its been very hard to find the time to get it done. That said I do have a master plan to make progress on it soon, I have not forgotten, its just I cant do it alone as I don't have all of the details in my hands.

As for new engines, there are many things I want to do but again its not entirely up to me. I can say however that our 30cc petrol prototype is running well and I am trying to sort out a new carb design so we can get it on sale
Old 03-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Joespeeder

Hi Carosel43,

Great ! Thanks, I tend to work way ahead in my build plans and just "learned" I'll be building a brand new VQ Huricane 60 starting about a year from now. I love that plane and I'm giddy I found one to build later.

Having the dimensions is the first place I start when trying to conceal the bits. The new Huri will not be a weed wacker like my current one. I was looking for something that would spin a 15x8x3 fast enough to get me into the 65ish mph pitch speed range.

I'm' posting from my phone so I can't look it up but I think the DLE 20 dimension from center line to the top of the head is 99mm. I'm looking for an engine (4 stroke) that fits inside that dimension without too much sticking out.

The RCV 90 would do it with a 15.75x13x3 but it's a different animal that I'd have to bench run a good while and confirm I can make it perform as needed without ProSynth fuel. I've read adding a Perry Pump may help.

An inline 140 laser might fit ..... Depending on carbs and exhaust.

Joe
Old 03-13-2015, 01:16 AM
Carosel43

Hi Joe

You are way over the top on your power requirements for the Hurricane. That model is only 62 inches and will be perfectly fine with a Laser 80 or at a push a Laser 100. Also don't bother with a 3 blade prop as they are inefficient and you wont be able to get near a scale size anyway. I also tend to shoot for a pitch speed of 50-60mph for warbirds as they shouldn't be like ballistic missiles.

I have had a Hurricane that size before and it flew very well on an older version of the Laser 80. The current production version of the 80 is more powerful than my old one and is only 100-200rpm slower than an OS91SII on the same prop/plug/fuel.

My recommendation would be the Laser 80 running a 14x7 2 blade prop. A friend has this exact setup in the same plane and we hope to test fly it very soon.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:40 AM
Joespeeder

Thanks Carosel43.

I'm flying the VQ Huri right now on the DLE20 on a 15x8 2 blade but the 20 will spin both a 15 or 16x8x3 with enough power to fly a 62inch warbird very well. I think this will be my 7th season with the Hurri with some down time due to testing it's ability to fly through a tree trunk.... I don't recommend that test. We fly these in groups of up to 8 or more warbirds every Tuesday evening all summer long practicing formations. To match the group I need to keep up with a TF P-40 with a Supercharged YS, another DLE20 16x8x3 in a H9 ME-109 and on an on.... We fly at 1/2 throttle while practicing and probably 90% of the time. However, when you're trying to regroup for whatever reason it's nice to have the power. Plus the 3 blade looks so great I now have 2 new Graupner Wide Blades waiting for this season,

I have a H9 Razorback on a Saito 125 and it's just not enough... She's a big girl, flys well, but I'm always at high throttle settings trying to manage coming in or out of the group a 150 would have given me the range needed to do 1/2 throttle cruise.

You're correct the VQ Hurri will fly well on the 80 and a 14x7 2 blade. It's a terrific plane and I'm really happy I have a new one on it's way. Be sure to reinforce the firewall box or it will break off. It;s only glued onto the end of the fuse by the very end of the sheet ply that makes the box. I've seen those boxes come off even with electric set ups and no vibration.

I know it sounds like we pylon race but we are the furthest from that,,, We cruise at 1/2 throttle and work on staying tight through some simple formation maneuvers, The extra power is to spin the big props and catch up when needed.

At 13:50 and 19:22 you can see the 109 with its 3 blade, and at 17:00 you can see me landing the Hurri on the DLE20.

https://youtu.be/h_k7ulW56Oc Groups every Tuesday...

https://youtu.be/C4rrm6LTzHo?t=5m37s Joe

Last edited by Joespeeder; 03-13-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:44 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Carosel43

I have had a Hurricane that size before and it flew very well on an older version of the Laser 80. The current production version of the 80 is more powerful than my old one and is only 100-200rpm slower than an OS91SII on the same prop/plug/fuel.

My recommendation would be the Laser 80 running a 14x7 2 blade prop. A friend has this exact setup in the same plane and we hope to test fly it very soon.[/QUOTE]

I just picked up a Laser 80 that is NIB but about 7 years old. Is this part of the "older" version or is it as powerful as the "current" version? How much of a difference is there power wise between the two?
thanks...
Bill
Old 03-13-2015, 12:14 PM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a nice day today when running my Laser 240v on the bench. I sounded great and performed very well. As I have never had a Laser v-twin cylinders upright before I would like to know if I should lubricate the rockers at some intervals as for some reason the oil does not seem to run through the pushrod tubes up to the rockers for some reason.

As a side note when I run the engine inverted the rocker covers were always full of oil..
Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Carosel43

Hi Bill

The difference between the two engines is mostly in the carburettor. The old version (mine is from 1995) has a super tigre carb and swapping it for our current design Laser carb gave me another 2-300rpm. Clearly results will vary between engines but I was very happy with the upgrade. If your engine is 7 years old there should not be any real difference between it and the current spec engine. If you pop up a photo I can probably narrow down its age, and the year of mfr should be stamped on the mounting lug
Old 03-13-2015, 03:42 PM
the pope

Is there a rough guesstimate on when the gaser will hit the market ? I was thinking of getting a OS gf30 but I would wait for the Laser if its going to be a resonable wait . Thanks , the pope
Old 03-14-2015, 12:40 AM
Carosel43

Hi Pope

I was hoping it would be done already! the problem is not with the engine but with finding the time to get everything tested. Currently I am working on the carb design and am waiting for machine time to get prototypes made. Once that is done I am quite confident we can move forward quickly as the new crankshafts have their machine time booked and are in the queue as is the new front bearing housing. Once everything is working well I can move on to 100 hour tests on 3 engines using different fuel/oil combos to see where we are after 100 hours of running etc etc.

As you can see there is a lot still to do but I am not prepared to make the same mistakes as some of our competitors by releasing the engine before it is ready
Old 03-14-2015, 01:02 AM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carosel43
Hi Pope

I was hoping it would be done already! the problem is not with the engine but with finding the time to get everything tested. Currently I am working on the carb design and am waiting for machine time to get prototypes made. Once that is done I am quite confident we can move forward quickly as the new crankshafts have their machine time booked and are in the queue as is the new front bearing housing. Once everything is working well I can move on to 100 hour tests on 3 engines using different fuel/oil combos to see where we are after 100 hours of running etc etc.

As you can see there is a lot still to do but I am not prepared to make the same mistakes as some of our competitors by releasing the engine before it is ready
Jon,

Thanks for the update! I think we all support Laser's approach on not releasing an engine which then has to be betatested by the modellers. I think many modellers have been disappointed with Saito Fg-20, to name one example of a product that was released before it was ready.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:13 AM
thebluemax

Hi Bill

The difference between the two engines is mostly in the carburetor. The old version (mine is from 1995) has a super tigre carb and swapping it for our current design Laser carb gave me another 2-300rpm. Clearly results will vary between engines but I was very happy with the upgrade. If your engine is 7 years old there should not be any real difference between it and the current spec engine. If you pop up a photo I can probably narrow down its age, and the year of mfr should be stamped on the mounting lug
Thanks for your reply. I guess I should join the Laser club since I now own 3 Laser engines. Along with the Laser 80, I have the 70 and a 200V. The 70 and 80 have the black Irvine carbs while the 200V has the purple Irvine carbs. The 70 and the 200V have standard threads on the prop shaft and the threads on the 80 are metric. Enclosed are pictures to help determine the production dates.
Thanks again....
Bill

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	laser 70.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	2082456   Click image for larger version

Name:	laser 80.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	2082457   Click image for larger version

Name:	laser 200.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	2082458  
Old 03-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Carosel43

The 200v is from 1996 and will most likely have 4ba bolts and a 3/8x24 unf crank. M03 on the 80 stands for Metric thread 2003 with 2003 being the mfr date. The final one J13 is 2013 as a manufacture date and the J is the first initial of my name because I built it
Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 PM
thebluemax

The 200v is from 1996 and will most likely have 4ba bolts and a 3/8x24 unf crank. M03 on the 80 stands for Metric thread 2003 with 2003 being the mfr date. The
final one J13 is 2013 as a manufacture date and the J is the first initial of my name because I built it
thanks Jon, what is 4 ba? is that suppose to be 4 back bolts?

Name:	laser 200.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	2082544  

Last edited by thebluemax; 03-19-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Carosel43

Sorry, 4ba is the thread size of the bolts used in the engine. ba was a british thread standard which is now obsolete. We switched to metric threads just after the turn of the century. That's why the 2003 engine is marked with M for metric as there was a period of crossover between the only and new thread sizes. All current engines use M4 bolts for head screws and either M4 or M5 bolts for holding the front housings and backplates. Only the 70 uses M3 backplate bolts. All crankshafts are either M8x1.25 or M10x1.5. Again the 70 is the odd one out as it retains a 1/4x28 unf crank. I think this was due to M6 being a slightly unusual size and potentially difficult to source prop nuts locally for customers over seas.

In your photo it looks like you might have M4 bolts, they could have been retrofitted at a later time. To test it find a 3/32 allen key and see if it fits. If it does then you have 4ba, if not try and 3mm allen key as this will fit M4

Last edited by Carosel43; 03-19-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:40 PM
thebluemax

Sorry, 4ba is the thread size of the bolts used in the engine. ba was a british thread standard which is now obsolete. We switched to metric threads just after the turn of the century. That's why the 2003 engine is marked with M for metric as there was a period of crossover between the only and new thread sizes. All current engines use M4 bolts for head screws and either M4 or M5 bolts for holding the front housings and backplates. Only the 70 uses M3 backplate bolts. All crankshafts are either M8x1.25 or M10x1.5. Again the 70 is the odd one out as it retains a 1/4x28 unf crank. I think this was due to M6 being a slightly unusual size and potentially difficult to source prop nuts locally for customers over seas.

In your photo it looks like you might have M4 bolts, they could have been retrofitted at a later time. To test it find a 3/32 allen key and see if it fits. If it does then you have 4ba, if not try and 3mm allen key as this will fit M4
they are 4ba as the 3/32 Allen key fits. The M3 is too big. The Allen key fit all the bolts except for the one for the valve cover. The only bolts I could turn are the ones for the mufflers and carbs. The other ones would not budge and probably need dynamite to get them out.. So if there is a problem with the bolts on this engine what would be the replacement as I am sue the US standard will most likely not fit. I assume it will have to take a trip across the pond? Thanks for all your time with this.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Carosel43

We still have the crankcase bolts but if you damage or strip a head bolt you are in trouble as I do not have any spares. In a pinch the crankcase can be reworked to take M4 bolts but it also means work on the heads and is a lengthy procedure. The rocker cover bolts should either be a slot screw or will use a 2ba screw that undoes with a 1/16th allen key. Again if these screws are damaged there are no replacements but an M2 screw will fit in its place without modification. The carb and exhaust screws will be M3 and will work with either a 3/32 allen key (slightly sloppy fit) or 2.5mm.

All of these issues with mixed threads have now gone as all screws are metric and easy to obtain

There are ways to get the existing screws out of your engine if needed but the best advice I can give is not to take it apart at all. If its working well then it is best left alone!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 PM
thebluemax

We still have the crankcase bolts but if you damage or strip a head bolt you are in trouble as I do not have any spares. In a pinch the crankcase can be reworked to take M4 bolts but it also means work on the heads and is a lengthy procedure. The rocker cover bolts should either be a slot screw or will use a 2ba screw that undoes with a 1/16th allen key. Again if these screws are damaged there are no replacements but an M2 screw will fit in its place without modification. The carb and exhaust screws will be M3 and will work with either a 3/32 allen key (slightly sloppy fit) or 2.5mm.

All of these issues with mixed threads have now gone as all screws are metric and easy to obtain

There are ways to get the existing screws out of your engine if needed but the best advice I can give is not to take it apart at all. If its working well then it is best left alone!
I have no plans to take anything out. I am banking on reliability and longevity of Laser engines. However, if something happens that I caused and they need too, I think they will be coming across the pond unless it can't anymore because of it's age. The engine has only been bench run and well oiled. Everything looks new and feels good. Thing is I never asked how old it was before I bought it. I am planning on putting it in a Ziroli Ercoupe. Should fit in there just nice. Picture is not my Ercoupe just a shot to give you an idea.
Again thanks for all the info and your time.

Name:	ercoupe.JPG
Views:	817
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	2082580  
Old 03-20-2015, 02:30 AM
Carosel43

Even at its current age we still have spares for it as they are mostly the same as the current spec engine. The only problem is the head bolts. I do not expect it to need anything though, and it should be ample power for the Ercoupe. I would suggest an 18x8 prop to start off with and a 20x6 if the 18x8 makes the model too fast. You should expect about 7500-8000rpm on the 18x8 (depending on fuel/brand etc) and idling rpm below 2000. On board glow is not required and if a cylinder drops out its just letting you know its tuned incorrectly and wants a tweak!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:37 AM
thebluemax

Even at its current age we still have spares for it as they are mostly the same as the current spec engine. The only problem is the head bolts. I do not expect it to need anything though, and it should be ample power for the Ercoupe. I would suggest an 18x8 prop to start off with and a 20x6 if the 18x8 makes the model too fast. You should expect about 7500-8000rpm on the 18x8 (depending on fuel/brand etc) and idling rpm below 2000. On board glow is not required and if a cylinder drops out its just letting you know its tuned incorrectly and wants a tweak!
That sounds good there are still parts and just the head bolts are different. The 200V should be more than enough for the Ercoupe as it calls for a 26cc gas. I originally wanted it for a GTM D8 for it but settled on the Ercoupe for now. Maybe someday after I am tired of the Ercoupe I will go for the D8.

Here are the specs for the Ziroli Ercoupe.
Scale: 2.66" - 1'
Wingspan: 80"
Length: 53"
Wing Area: 900 sq/in
Weight: 26lbs
Power: 26cc gas
Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Carosel43

26 lbs? all the info I can find says 16-17lbs
Old 03-20-2015, 07:45 AM
thebluemax

26 lbs? all the info I can find says 16-17lbs
I took the info directly from the ziroli Web site. However 26 is wrong. 16-17 is about right. it is hard to see but this is a picture of the planes from the Ziroli web site and you can just barely make out 16lbs

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	723
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2082775  

Last edited by thebluemax; 03-20-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be fantastic to hear when Laser release the gassers. I have two 150 glow, but would love to fly a Laser on gas
Old 03-23-2015, 01:58 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

I just want to place on record my satisfaction with spares service I recently received from Jon. I contacted him for a part for a long discontinued model (the Laser 75 diesel). He arranged a replacement, as the part is matched with the current Laser 80. An easy "hassle free" transaction, and fair price for the part. Thanks Jon. Such service in the model engine world is almost unheard of these days.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any plans for an Inline 360?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.