Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS FS-30S Engine Losing Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:41 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS FS-30S Engine Losing Power

An engine doean't wear out from 1 flight to the next unless you went way lean. Since you say your compression is good like before that rules out valves and ring . I would double check valve gap in case you got one too tight. Maybe some teflon tape has plugged your muffler nipple. Some tank flashing could have parcially blocked fuel inlet or spraybar. And last is your crankcase breather open and not blocked or pinched.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:53 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that is something that I hadn't thought about - a blocked crankcase breather. Or maybe even the muffler pressure nipple is partially occluded.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-18-2007, 08:32 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Thank you all for trying to help.

Well, I'm really stumped. The good news is that the engine is back to its old self - power's returned and its running as good as ever. The not so good news is that I still have no clue as to the cause of the original problem.

Took the engine off the plane yesterday and spent most of the day with it - exhaust was clear, so I worked through Ed's list and the various suggestions one more time but all seemed to be in order. I cleaned up the engine as best I could, opened the valve cover, carb and back plate, and quadruple checked that all was well. Everything checked out. So I reinstalled the engine and went through the entire power system from fuel clunk, throttle servo through to engine mount. Everything seemed fine.

By this time, I was at my wits end so I threw the plane in the car and thought it wouldn't hurt anything just to give it a go. A quick check on the needles then it was off. First flight up this morning and I remember now why it was one of my favourite planes! It's running great and the power is back. At least for me, hovering with a four stroke is definitely easier than with a 2 stroke!

Thank you again to everyone who took the time to read and offer advice. It was all very much appreciated.

Now, it would be hypothetical, but in for the sake of my learning, would anyone care to proffer a theory on what I did wrong? Since it's working fine now, I can only assume the fault was somehow mine.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:37 AM
ir

Hmmm leaves me to wonder, if you are hovering a lot, it is possible that you are leaning out; if you are not running a pump unit of any kind. There is the possibility that the ring is slowly wearing out. Also, where are you flying? Is it possible you ingested sand/grass? If ya do a lot of break in on the ground in dusty conditions you could have a issue. I had a big nick on my prop, running on the ground in sandy Tampines within a minute of running whilst setting the needles.

Of coz, I could be wrong.... and hope its just the tape.

Dude, ABC=ABN=ABL more ... or ... less ...
Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 AM
NM2K

You gave me a smile today, with the news that your engine is running well once again.

I have no idea what occurred, but I wouldn't be so quick to blame myself. Yes, a possibility, but who knows? Good flying, my friend. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 03-18-2007, 02:29 PM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: efish

Oh should probably add that the bearings seem ok (no rust, grating or noise) and the engine appears to run fine - except its only putting out about half as much power as before....

Always ran it rich and never had to hit full throttle for more than a few seconds so I'm kinda puzzled as to what might be wrong.
EFish,

Power???

I didn't think this engine ever had any of it in the first place...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...
Old 03-18-2007, 03:21 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: efish

Oh should probably add that the bearings seem ok (no rust, grating or noise) and the engine appears to run fine - except its only putting out about half as much power as before....

Always ran it rich and never had to hit full throttle for more than a few seconds so I'm kinda puzzled as to what might be wrong.
EFish,

Power???

I didn't think this engine ever had any of it in the first place...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

-------------

That's why you REALLY miss it when it isn't there. <G>

I have two of these little jewels and love them dearly.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-18-2007, 09:38 PM
efish

Well, thanks again anyhow guys.

IR - if there's one thing hovering with a glow engine has taught me, its how critical tuning is! I've always been a little conservative towards the rich side, but it seems even my rich settings are too lean for 3D, especially for 2 strokes. Went flying with a TT 46 pro this morning and it was picky - one click made a noticeable difference; but only after a period of prolonged of hovering, also, full tank and 1/3 tank hovering performance was apparent! I've posted on this issue with respect to an Enya 35 before, but I never realised how fussy 2 strokes could be! Anyhow, I appreciate your thoguhts, but I don't think that engine has ever been flown lean nor has it ingested any sand/grass (I try to be pretty careful with these things). The FS-30 plane is a little over powered so most flying on the wing is done at less than 1/3 throttle with a rich LSN. Hovers at 1/2 throttle! Compression still feels as good as it did post breakin so I dun think the ring is the problem, especially only after about 150 flights or so.

Dar Zeelon I know your comments were made a little tongue in cheek, but .... I actually rebuilt a saito 30 and was planning to use it on the plane but the OS proved easier to mount. It is slightly heavier than the saito, but it's surprised me by its performance. I do have a preference towards saito for 4 strokes, but this little os has not disappointed me, especially since I got a really sweet deal on it! Only thing I will say is that, for some reason, possibly doe to my unfamiliarity, its a little harder to hand start compared to the saito 30. But in real world terms, that's just 3 or 4 more flicks per start. I can live with that.

Ed - thanks again. I figure since there's nothing mechanically wrong with the engine, the problem lies with the set up/ installation and that was my responsibility! Anyhow as you say, who knows?! Just happy that the plane is back in action.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:25 AM
ir

Hey its great to know its all ok.

Another question.... When you had power back, was it on a new gallon of fuel or was it on the same fuel when you lost power?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 AM
efish

Hi IR, same same, I think.

I go through a fair amount of fuel so my fuel is generally pretty fresh at least as far as I can control it. Dunno how long its been sitting around in a warehouse/ship/container, but then again, I've never had any problems with stale fuel.

Thanks anyhow.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 AM
NM2K

If the overheating problem continues with your TT46 Pro, consider obtaining a heli head for it. Not much weight, but will eliminate heat sagging with the appropriate mixture.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-21-2007, 01:17 AM
efish

Thanks Ed, remember heli head suggestion you offered in an earlier post. Think I was overpropping the TT. Anyhow, will likely be posting a separate thread on the TT on this and related issues.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed,
They don't make a .46 heli engine. Does the .50 heli engine head fit?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Ed,
They don't make a .46 heli engine. Does the .50 heli engine head fit?

-------------

Didn't they used to make a .46 heli version? Could have sworn they did, but don't know for a fact.

I don't know if the .50 head fits or not. I'd be surprised if it did.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outside of the larger and smaller sizes (I wouldn't expect a .07 or 1.2 heli engine), you'd think they would use the same displacements for both aircraft and heli. Wouldn't you?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
efish

Well, actually, I have an OS 50 hyper (ringed heli engine) just sitting around!

Got it at a good price for a 50 sized heli project that's still a fair ways off, so I'm still mulling over whether or not to put it on. There's quite a bit of weight difference though (about 50g, I think)