Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Glow plug heat ranges

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Glow plug heat ranges

ORIGINAL: blw

That seems to be a small prop for the .72. Mine liked a 13x6 better than the 12x6. You should see 10,000 plus with one.
Barry,

This is a four-blade APC prop.

If you want the two-blade APC equivalent, it would be a 12.6x6...
Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

This is a four-blade APC prop.

If you want the two-blade APC equivalent, it would be a 12.6x6...

oooohhh, really? Well, that does change things a little. I would be very interested in hearing details about the prop and performance when you have a chance. Very interesting.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
DarZeelon

Barry,

This is a bit off subject for this thread, but the four-blade APC flies the model quite similarly to the Bolly 12.5x6 I had on it earlier.

The big plus, is the extra 0.75" of ground clearance... which was the very reason to use this expensive prop.

My flying skills still dictate an occasional 'kangaroo landing' and with that extra ground clearance, the engine has a better chance of staying running for a subsequent take-off...
Old 03-29-2007, 06:11 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Yes, we are getting off of the glow plug topic. Thanks. Very interesting to know about the prop.

I'm thinking that some manufacturers are using plugs based mostly on cost concerns with new engines, or what plug seems most popular to potential buyers.

New people to the hobby will always be the same. Some you can show things to, and some don't think they need any pointers. Our club is very small now, but we get all ranges of people showing up.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Jim Thomerson

I've run Fox long 2 volt plugs in 2 cycle engines for years with results to suit me. I didn't have good results with the Fox short 2-volt plugs; K&B shorts work much better for me.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 72

Ok, everyone says"use a hotter/colder plug" , but where would you be able to find out the
heat ranges for them? Is there a list or something somewhere to compare them?
Heat ranges in glow plugs differ from spark plug heat ranges, and for different reasons.
For one thing, not many manufactures even supply a glow plug with a new engine. Those
who do, like OS Engines in some instances (in others they give an OS recommendation)
usually offer a #3 plug which is a hot plug. Hot plugs are good for rich running low compression
engines. This plug is good for break-in, where the engine will be running rich most of the time.

In other engines, OS will recommend the #8 plug....this is a medium/hot plug. Again, this plug
recommendation is initially for break-in.

For all practical purposes, a medium heat glow plug is the best choice for general R/C use.
The K&B 1L plug is the prime example of this medium plug.

Cold plugs are designed for high compression, or high nitro engines, mainly for high speed
or racing applications. Keep in mind, high compression (two cycle) engines generally do not use high
nitro....only in extreme racing applications. Two stroke engines are low compression engines compared
four cycle engines.

FBD.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:06 AM
Piet Le Roux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some plug questions of my own. There are a lot of OS140RX engines at my club and they all are being run with OS F plugs. On the Japanese OS English web site it is said that the F plug is for 4-stroke engines as well as the 140RXI and 160RXI. This site: http://www.osengines.com/accys/glowplugs.html
Shows that the F plug is colder than the A5 plug. I have just put a tune pipe on my OS91FX and I have been recommended to use an F plug. Is this a good idea? The F plug is longer than the #8 or A5 plug, is it safe to use it in a 91FX ?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 AM
alan0899

G'day Piet,
It depends on how much nitro you are going to use, I use an OS #8 in my 160FX, with 10% nitro, I have tried the A5 plug & found it a bit too cold, for my application, & the nitro content I use.
So try an OS #8, & see how it performs, then try the OS F, & see how that performs.
You will find that your particular combination of prop, nitro, style of flying & tuning, will determine which is best.
That is half the fun, try it & see, then try something else, if that is no good, keep trying.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Piet Le Roux

Thanks for the reply.
Well I have all the different type of plugs handy. I will try to finish the fuss part of the plane tonight so that we can start to “play” with pipe length and different types of plugs. I am trying to put a sportsman type plane together with OS 91 FX and tune pipe. I would like to spin a ASP 14X8 at about 10300 static.
cheers