Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Mufflers & Headers for Saitos

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:35 AM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflers & Headers for Saitos

Can anybody tell me if there are Mufflers & Headers made for Saitos?
I am looking at mounting a Saito 1.25 into a Pattern plane (I don't want to buy another YS just for this plane as it is only a basic plane for use here).
I am looking for something similar to the Hatori 726/725 Combo That I would use if it were being powered by a YS 110.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:38 AM
Bone

Default RE: Mufflers & Headers for Saitos

Steve, is this the type of thing you are looking for ?

http://www.keleo-creations.com/index.html
Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve,

The 125 has a odd ball exhaust size if I remember correctly?

The four strokes are not very sensitive to exhaust configurations.

One guy at the field had a supercharged OS 120 and he used a OS 25 2 stroke size tuned pipe on it in his pattern plane.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck finding one, as far as I know, nobody makes a pattern style header for the Saito. Johnson Borthers and Hatori are only for YS's and I think they did make one for the OS 1.20SP at one time. But again, the thread pitch is totally different on the Saito.[X(]
Old 03-31-2007, 09:02 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a Slim Line for the 120, 150, & 180. www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLDR2&P=. They also have a smoke one.

There is the RC Specialties Turbo Header that is new.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Iflyglow

I think He is looking for a header like the YS's run in a pattern plane. The flex pipes will not allow the exhaust to be in the cener of the fuse where he is probaly trying to go with it, if you bend them more than a couple degree's, they will fail. Here is an example of what he is looking for the Saito. The Saito versions also are not setup to mount a tuned pipe on the end.[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79846.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	654062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41464.jpg
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	654063  
Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mount the engine at an angle so the exhaust comes out at 6 O'Clock with the regular header
Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 PM
aussiesteve

Thanks for the input people. Keep it coming if you know of anything.
Yes I am looking for a pattern type header. It is not absolutely critical that I have one - it would just have been nice to have so that all of my pattern planes look and sound similar when flying (Exhaust exiting from the same point on the fuse etc).

I may end up mounting a Saito 1.20 that I also have available instead - at least it has the rear facing exhaust port. Then I can use a standard Saito flex muffler for it. Or I may do as w8ye has suggested and mount the engine at an angle instead.

Alternatively I may just bite the bullet and go ahead and buy another YS 110 - you can never have enough YS's or Saitos in my opinion.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:01 PM
blw

Steve,

My bad. By the way, are you in China now and could you maybe mention something about flying there if you are?
Old 03-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Iflyglow

Aussie,
Just bite the bullet and buy another YS. If you don't you will wish you did.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:23 PM
aussiesteve

No Dramas mate.
Yes I am currently in China.
There is actually quite a good F3a scene here (not surprising seeing as they make most of the models these days).
Other than competitions, Flying here is a bit different from Australia and the US - It basically consists of find a nice quiet road - preferably a smooth one without too many buildings around, Park on the side of it - that becomes the pits, Use the road as the runway (past the pits - we've had a lot of plane versus car incidents). and you learn to look left and right as you land (It's common to have to go around because someone decides to stop in the middle of the "runway" and watch the planes land). - Turbines are also flown under these conditions amongst the group that I fly with.

The airspace is full of all sizes and skill levels of all sorts of craft at any one time - this ranges from 2m - .25 sized wingspans, Choppers of all sizes, Turbines, Gas powered and electric powered in all sizes. It certainly hones your skill at watching your plane as well as everything else around you. Coupled with that, there are all of the manufacturers prototypes being flown (this gives quite a good insight as to which manufacturers actually fly to improve their models - one of the people that I fly with here manufactures a brand that seems to be well respected around the world for its flying abilities - I won't mention who other than to say their monocoupe is pretty popular).

Having said that, There are also some large areas that are suitable for proper flying - you just need to get approval from the authorities to do so. Close to Beijing there is a pretty good jet scene that uses an organised field.

I personally prefer the more organised flying fields such as I am used to in the US and Australia. but here we just do our own thing and hope that nobody flies into us, shoots us down or places a large object (vehicle) on the "Runway".
Old 03-31-2007, 11:31 PM
aussiesteve

Hey Motorman - I'm starting to think that too.
I think I will. I am "only" using this plane as a "rough and ready" practice plane for here but I suppose I should get it performing the same as my better ones I guess.
I was going to use the Saito because I have it here and available but I guess I'll have to go and see if I can find a nice ARF to put it in instead. (I wonder if there are any of them available here in China).
Old 04-01-2007, 02:11 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

Aussie,
Just bite the bullet and buy another YS. If you don't you will wish you did.

------------

Yeah, and send that worthless Saito to me! <G>

Truthfully, I was thinking the same thing.

On the other hand, I did buy a Saito .91 a while back to use in an SPA model, in place of the normal OS .91 Surpass II/P engines, that I also have.

It is hard to pass up that little Saito .91, being so small and reasonably powerful.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-01-2007, 10:43 AM
blw

That is interesting, Aussie Steve. I may have gotten us off topic by asking, but very interesting none the less. Mounting sideways sounds like a workable idea.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Iflyglow

Ed,
I never said they are worthless, they have there place. As long as it is someone elses hanger. I used to buy quite a few Saito's and really used to like them, but there prices have sky rocketed, there over square engines (.72, .82, 1.00) shake like crazy. I used to have .50's, .56's and .91's in the singles and really like them. Now we get back to the price thing, for what they get for the 1.25, I can buy a YS 1.10, and not have to worry about tank llocation. Everybody talks about nitro cost, the Saito's take just as much if not more to get good power. Then on top of it, the YS will easily walk away from it. I can buy a YS 1.10 for $319.00, that is less than you will find the Satio 1.25.[X(]
Then you can also get exhaust headers and pipes designed for the YS, but since Saito has never been considered a competitive engine, nobody makes this stuff for the Saito's. Have you ever seen a Saito at a Pattern contest. I would have to say I never have.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:14 PM
blw

I have a .72 with a lot of time on it. I would have to challenge the comment that they shake. Mine is very smooth running.

I got my 1.25 for $300.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:28 PM
aussiesteve

Guys Guys -
I have Saitos (2 x 30's, 2 x 56s, 1 x 65, 1 x 72, 4 x 82s, 2 x 100s, 4 x 125s, 2 x 150s, & 1 x 180 size) in my hanger.

I also have 2 x YS63, 3 x YS110, 1 x YS140 & 1 x YS160.

I (share ?) my collection with my 2 sons (to whom I donated all of my 2 strokes and my Magnums).

I think they are both excellent brands but for the pattern planes (F3a) I normally use the YS's. It's just that I rely on people hand carrying them to me when they travel here so it can take a while for me to get them.

I've ordered another YS 1.10 and Hatori header & muffler this morning because I just heard of a colleague travelling here in about 2 weeks time.

The only one of my Saitos that had a shaking problem was one of my 100's. I tried all sorts of things for about 2 gallons of fuel and eventually asked on these forums for advice. After following that advice and re-tuning the engine it now runs quite smoothly (not as good as the 125's though).

Heres a picture of the plane it is going in and a picture of our "Flight line" here.

[img][/img]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72540.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	654639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13680.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	654640  
Old 04-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dave, there must be something wrong the gravity where you live, Saitos don't shake here.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Iflyglow

I said the new over square models .72 .82 and 1.00. The 1.00 I had was horiible compared to my Saito .91, YS 1.10 or even the new Magnum .91RFS I ran in the other day. I think the Magnum was allmost as strong from what I was getting for rpms the other day as the 1.00 was . It for sure ran smoother and idled out of the box with no low speed adjustment whatsover. I ran 3/4 of a gallon through the Saito 1.00, and yes it was tuned correctly, both low speed and high speed before I sent it down the road. I am not hear trying to debate Saito's worth, I made the original statement that a YS should be purchased for the pattern plane, and I will stand behind that. BUCK FOR BUCK, I WILL TAKE A YS OVER A SAITO ANYDAY OF THE WEEK. THE SAITO FOR THE MONEY IS NO WEARS NEAR THE ENGINE.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Iflyglow

Hobbsy,
I have owned and loved many Saito .30's, .50's, .56's, .91's, 1.00, 1.00T, and a Saito 3.00T, but I was not impressed with 1.00 at all. Maybe that is because I am now used to the POWER of a YS 1.10. I would still put a 12pk on the YS 1.10 cleaning up the Saito 1.25 in a heartbeat for virtually the same money.
Motorman
Old 04-01-2007, 09:47 PM
aussiesteve

I totally agree that when it comes to performance and excellent power curve / transitions, the YS has the edge out of the two.

But you gotta admit one point though.

the Saito Golden knights sure look pretty when they're new
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Iflyglow

Aussie,
I totally agree with you on the Golden Knight, and its one and only selling advantage "LOOKS WHEN NEW" as far as I am concerned.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 PM
blw

I'm sure the YS has an edge on power. I'm not really willing to go to the higher nitro fuel and the eventual problems down the road with them.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep, the day always comes when frustration will make you want to take your heaviest ball bat and hit a long line drive and hope the YS lands in a lake.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:01 PM
onewasp

The 125 exhaust threads are 13 x 1----that is the same as YS.

Just told you all I know about the 125-----BUT if the thread sizes are the same and the exhaust exits the cyl at the 90* point then some combo of YS accessories should work. I have no idea as to what that combo is.

Having spent many years with racing engines----you know, ridiculous power out of a given displacement -----through all manner of tweaks-----. The last thing I wanted was more of that experience (temperamental little bast***s) so I fly Saito's.
Set them up right and they don't shake ------ at least mine don't.

I understand that YS (I've never owned one) really puts out some power but from all that I've read they act and use parts at the same rate as Race Engines-------thanks but I've been there on a full scale basis and I do not wish to go back ------I used to consider that fun but no more!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.