Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

AX Engines

Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AX Engines

OK, I'll ask the question again. How are OS AX series engines as compared to other OS engines? We got way off the original subject here, and I really don't give a damn how many gallons or hours I'll get out of one. I will never wear one out. So even if OS engines are all junk, how is this junk series as compared with other OS engines which are also junk?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Super Splatter

AX's don't spin as fast for he same amount of "percieved" power as there FX cousins.

I used 46 FX's and going to the 46 AX , I increased my diameter to find that sweet spot of power.

On a quickie 500 I went from a 8.8x8.75 APC pylon(46FX) 15,000+ RPM's to 10x7 APC sport for my 46 AX 13,5000 + RPM's and it is faster than the FX.

so what's different? , it makes more power in a lower RPM range, less noise (since it spins slower) & more torque at a given RPM.

Internally all the parts are different, even the bearings !

Get out there & FLY
Old 04-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The .91 two strokes I own burn only about an ounce per minute flat out. With a 14 ounce tank I can stay in the air well over 14 minutes with some part throttle flying, but I try to keep it less than 14 minutes.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:13 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

The .91 two strokes I own burn only about an ounce per minute flat out. With a 14 ounce tank I can stay in the air well over 14 minutes with some part throttle flying, but I try to keep it less than 14 minutes.
Hugh,

This is true of a .61 sized .91.
I.e. a .60-.61 engine that has been bored and stroked to increase its displacement to .91 cid.

This includes the OS.91FX (and it clones), the ST G90 and the MVVS .91.

But if you look into the Jett .90, the OS.91FSR (the 1.08FSR predecessor) and the Webra .91 Speed, you wouldn't even come close in their consumption. Their power differs considerably as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

You shouldn't have to worry about an engine not lasting 10 gallons for your RV-4. Most RV-4s don't get that much flight time anyway. It's a sport plane, fly around type of plane. People who own RV4 usually don't fly it as much after a few year or so. 1 gallon of fuel will provide 12~16 flights, which should last a month if you fly on the weekend, 4 flights per weekend. Assuming you fly nothing else throughtout the year, you might hit the 10 gallon mark after a year.

I would actually recommend Thunder Tiger Pro 46, the undisputed champion of .46 2-stroke engine in terms of reliability. I have one. Even after getting run over by a car (I'm serious), the engine still runs like a champ, swinging MA 9x6 @ 17000 rpm or APC 12x4 @ 14000 rpm. This is an OS in its former glory before things went south in some of OS products.