Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Will MRC / ENYA replace / repair engine

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Will MRC / ENYA replace / repair engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will MRC / ENYA replace / repair engine

I have a SS Enya 40 BB that failed in flight yesterday... broken connecting rod and piston froze up... not sure what happen as was at 3/4 throttle and quit running... no problem with dead stick landing.... Will MRC or Enya replace or fix this engine as it is still under warrenty... ????? I have emailed MRC but no answer.... It seems that they no longer carry any engines so it would be difficult to replace but they have parts... BUT will they fix the engine or have they gone to far out of business with Enya to even care?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:00 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Will MRC / ENYA replace / repair engine

Richard,

It has been ages since I spoke with Mr. Tim Sandor at this E-ddress: [email protected] .

Try E-mailing him. He was very responsive and quick in the past.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Richard39

Thanks for the information... I have now emailed Tim... Richard
Old 04-22-2007, 12:48 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say this but I'd bet they'll say you were using the wrong fuel. Those engines have a cast iron piston and steel sleeve which absolutely require a good deal of castor in the fuel. I don't know if this is spelled out in the instruction manual or not though. If not then you might have a case for new parts because normal RC fuel will kill them. Use at least 20% (or more) all castor and they'll likely never wear out.

Parts are available direct from the factory now. http://enya-engine.com/P_list/P_listSS40BB_E.html
As a rough guess their price for a new piston/cylinder assembly is about US$30 and the rod about US$8.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Richard39

That is possible... I followed their instructions new out of the box but it leaves a lot of choices to the flyer... Enya does recommend castor..... I started with castor and added castor to the fuel to boost the percentage but stopped that after a gallon .... I would like to know if anyone has returned an engine for replacement/repair?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
flyalot
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to order some parts for a Enya from MRC via thier web site. I received a phone call from MRC telling me that they no longer carry or support Enya engines. If they have what is needed in stock, they will fill the order. They are not restocking parts once run out. I was advised to go direct to Enya in Japan.
Joe
Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Darn, I love my Enya's...good running and powerful. Sorry to hear they aren't being handled by MRC anymore...but wait maybe some one will pick up that line and ADVERTISE the engines. They seem to last forever!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Richard39

I emailed Enya in Japan last night and this morning I received a reply from a Mr. Ken Enya... very nice and very helpful... He advised me to send the engine to him for repairs or he would provide the parts for me to purchase... no discussion of Enya warrenty.. I have replied as to the warrenty and await his reply.... I was impressed with his email... he took the time to discuss the engine and some hints on removing the froze up cylinder.... if I wish to repair the engine myself.. he did mention that shipping was included in the advertised prices....
Old 04-26-2007, 05:17 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Darn, I love my Enya's...good running and powerful. Sorry to hear they aren't being handled by MRC anymore...but wait maybe some one will pick up that line and ADVERTISE the engines. They seem to last forever!!!
what's there to be sorry about? MRC never carried the whole Enya line and kept dropping more and more models until in the end they were only selling a couple of four strokes. i say good riddance to MRC and congratulate Enya on their decision to sell direct. now we can finally get the engines that the clowns at Model Rectumfier Corp. have suppressed for so long. at the very least i'm going for another .11CX.

dave
Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm disappointed in that no one will be ADVERTISING those engines....one would 'think' more ads, more sales.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 PM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I'm disappointed in that no one will be ADVERTISING those engines....one would 'think' more ads, more sales.
we can always "advertise" simply by word of mouth/keyboard. my understanding is that enya is a rather small operation and it's probably better left that way. and IMO, just the fact that they are now doing direct sales means they're going to do a lot more business with american modelers.

dave
Old 04-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Richard39

I must express caution in dealing direct with Enya, Japan if the responses to my emails regarding fixing my SS 40 BB....are an indication of how they will honor their advertised warrenties on Enya's... Mr Ken Enya has informed me that he can not honor thier warrenty because they can not be sure that the operator was not at fault... He expressed concern that I could have run the engine lean trying for more power as the engine had only a couple of gallons of fuel run through it and Enya's are slow to break in... Consider that I have 8 more Enya's and have never had a failure and know enough to not run an engine lean... this was of no concern in his 3rd email as he stated again that they can not know how I ran the engine so they must charge for service work and parts... SO... that would mean to me that the published warrenty... published and on the box the engine came in ... can not be honored from Enya in Japan... Maybe another distributor would be better... If I buy an engine I expect the company to honor their promised warrenty! Consider that Enya has a one year crash replacement of any Enya destroyed in a crash... I assume they will not honor that either...
Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Richard39

I must express caution in dealing direct with Enya, Japan if the responses to my emails regarding fixing my SS 40 BB....are an indication of how they will honor their advertised warrenties on Enya's... Mr Ken Enya has informed me that he can not honor thier warrenty because they can not be sure that the operator was not at fault... He expressed concern that I could have run the engine lean trying for more power as the engine had only a couple of gallons of fuel run through it and Enya's are slow to break in... Consider that I have 8 more Enya's and have never had a failure and know enough to not run an engine lean... this was of no concern in his 3rd email as he stated again that they can not know how I ran the engine so they must charge for service work and parts... SO... that would mean to me that the published warrenty... published and on the box the engine came in ... can not be honored from Enya in Japan... Maybe another distributor would be better... If I buy an engine I expect the company to honor their promised warrenty! Consider that Enya has a one year crash replacement of any Enya destroyed in a crash... I assume they will not honor that either...

--------------

The warranty was provided by the importer/distributor, NOT by Enya Metal Products in Japan. One of the conditions for gaining sole rights of distribution is to agree to handle all warranty work at your expense. That is why the importer has the right to set the prices, not Enya.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 PM
injunnut1

It is sad that 'Enya Direct' will not honor your warranty ..... not a good way to start off with the new 'Direct" selling policy, and a very UNWISE move in my opinion, this particularly to a potential customer who already owns 8 (as in EIGHT) other Enya motors! Richard 39, if I were you I would press MRC to pay for the parts because if they have not went bankrupt I would think that legally they should be the ones to pay for your warranty repair. Did you by chance read the thread about the amazing warranty service from the Saito people's importer (Horizon Hobbies)?! You could always take your business to 'Horizon Hobbies" and buy Webra (2 cycle) and Saito (4 cycle) engines?

That being said, if 'Enya' decides to go with another importer here in the States I sure do hope it is 'Great Planes' of which 'Tower Hobbies' is their main-hub mail order discount house ..... and pleeeeease NOT 'Sig Manufacturing'! This only my opinion and in reference to the following post.

>>>Darn, I love my Enya's...good running and powerful. Sorry to hear they aren't being handled by MRC anymore...but wait maybe some one will pick up that line and ADVERTISE the engines. They seem to last forever!!! <<<

Sincerely, Donald Garry

And BTW, I love my Enya Engines too, I currently own probably three dozen (many NIB) at least and have never paid full list price for a single one of them ..... heck, I have a dozen Enya .09 engines ranging from the 1st series up thru the various .09-IV series, this includes two with dual BB bottom ends. I also own two Enya .11CX aluminum cylinder engines ..... one of which is mint NIB, I got it from 'easytiger' several years ago for FREE! How about it 'easytiger', chime in here ..... where have you been, we miss you!?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 04-27-2007, 11:31 PM
injunnut1

Richard 39,
If I were you I would let someone who knows what they are doing take a look at this engine ..... you might get lucky and only need a new rod, can you tell if any of the piston skirt is missing ..... have you taken the backplate off yet? Give Frank Bowman a call (505-327-0696) and explain your problem, but first take the backplate off and see what you can see. Er, I forgot there is NO backplate ..... take off the entire front end to inspect your damage ..... take off the carburetor, then the remaining four bolts that hold the front housing on.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a SS Enya 40 BB that failed in flight yesterday... broken connecting rod and piston froze up... not sure what happen as was at 3/4 throttle and quit running... no problem with dead stick landing.... Will MRC or Enya replace or fix this engine as it is still under warrenty... ????? I have emailed MRC but no answer.... It seems that they no longer carry any engines so it would be difficult to replace but they have parts... BUT will they fix the engine or have they gone to far out of business with Enya to even care?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:51 AM
PlaneKrazee

Enyas last forever, or they used to.

Buy a new one and check the fits and tell me if they are too tight, loose or just right. I have changed out a few bearings that were so tight in the case it was rediculous, had to heat the case in a 400 degree oven to get them out instead of 200-250 like normal and they were still hard to get out. I have seen new con rod bushings (155's) that have what looks like an emery cloth spiral inside that is not uniform and very loose fitting pistons. On other new engines, (.53's) the cranks weren't seated in the bearings because the crank diameter was too large to allow the crank to be pulled into the bearing. Trying to tighten the prop nut and putting that much stress on the balls can't be good.

What would make a new four stroke case get really hot when run 1000 rpm rich or richer? Super tight pre loaded bearings, undersized pistons, blow-by? I've never seen this with any other brand.

The 1.55 is a powerful engine but the ones I have or had all needed to be overhauled in one way or another to make them run properly. Carb barrel bind, choke detent set up, lap the valves, replace undersize pistons, size/polish crank journals, replace a defective bearing. I had to fix all of those things on one engine that was new out of the box and from a recent production run. What's up with that?

Also the muffler on the 155 was designed for the 120. It is extremely loud and annoying on the 155.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:37 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: injunnut1

It is sad that 'Enya Direct' will not honor your warranty ..... not a good way to start off with the new 'Direct" selling policy, and a very UNWISE move in my opinion, this particularly to a potential customer who already owns 8 (as in EIGHT) other Enya motors! Richard 39, if I were you I would press MRC to pay for the parts because if they have not went bankrupt I would think that legally they should be the ones to pay for your warranty repair. Did you by chance read the thread about the amazing warranty service from the Saito people's importer (Horizon Hobbies)?! You could always take your business to 'Horizon Hobbies" and buy Webra (2 cycle) and Saito (4 cycle) engines?

That being said, if 'Enya' decides to go with another importer here in the States I sure do hope it is 'Great Planes' of which 'Tower Hobbies' is their main-hub mail order discount house ..... and pleeeeease NOT 'Sig Manufacturing'! This only my opinion and in reference to the following post.

>>>Darn, I love my Enya's...good running and powerful. Sorry to hear they aren't being handled by MRC anymore...but wait maybe some one will pick up that line and ADVERTISE the engines. They seem to last forever!!! <<<

Sincerely, Donald Garry

And BTW, I love my Enya Engines too, I currently own probably three dozen (many NIB) at least and have never paid full list price for a single one of them ..... heck, I have a dozen Enya .09 engines ranging from the 1st series up thru the various .09-IV series, this includes two with dual BB bottom ends. I also own two Enya .11CX aluminum cylinder engines ..... one of which is mint NIB, I got it from 'easytiger' several years ago for FREE! How about it 'easytiger', chime in here ..... where have you been, we miss you!?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------

From what I have read, if I remember correctly, Enya has not stated that they will not repair the engine gratis. I would send the engine to Enya, as Ken Enya suggested, and see what happens.

My point was to say that Enya has no technical responsibility for repairing the engine under warranty, not that they would refuse to do so.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-28-2007, 04:06 AM
DarZeelon

The net residual cost (the cost to manufacture an additional unit) of this engine to Enya is, I believe, in the vicinity of $10...

All the rest is profit to the entire chain, from the manufacturer, the exporting unit, the US distributor and the hobby shop, which makes up the [link=http://www.enya-engine.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=279]total street-price of this engine[/link] of about $128.

It would be terribly stupid of Enya not to honor the warranty given by what was previously its US distributor...
Just having this thread here probably cost them several potential sales.

But Brian does have a point there. Maybe crash damage can be covered by warranty, but use of the wrong fuel may be a problem.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:28 AM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

The net residual cost (the cost to manufacture an additional unit) of this engine to Enya is, I believe, in the vicinity of $10...

All the rest is profit to the entire chain, from the manufacturer, the exporting unit, the US distributor and the hobby shop, which makes up the [link=http://www.enya-engine.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=279]total street-price of this engine[/link] of about $128.

It would be terribly stupid of Enya not to honor the warranty given by what was previously its US distributor...
Just having this thread here probably cost them several potential sales.

But Brian does have a point there. Maybe crash damage can be covered by warranty, but use of the wrong fuel may be a problem.

they aren't producing huge quantities like OS so i'd say it costs them a good bit more than $10 a unit...

don't care either way, only engine i was interested in is the .11CX and they lost me as customer by switching it from AAC to ABC.

dave
Old 04-28-2007, 05:53 AM
NM2K

Nothing good or bad lasts forever.

We have seen K&B and Fox go by the wayside as with OS with the passing of Mr. Ogawa. It has happened enough times that the lesson has sunk in, at last.

Ditto General Motors, Ford and Chrysler. The only constant in life is change.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-28-2007, 06:24 AM
Richard39

Everyone, nice replies and good advice.. I do want to make it clear that Mr. Ken Enya was very gracious and helpful.... He just would not consider any warrenty repairs... regardlesss... I may send him the engine for his evaluation and let us all just see what happens.... The skirt on the piston has a chip missing where there is a little curve/cut out place... I did get the piston out when heated in an oven but I can not get it close to going back in... The sleeve seems fine... I have it completly broken down.... I am just not sure that it is worth the expense to ship to Japan and then pay full price for parts and repairs... some warrenty consideration would be nice....
Old 04-28-2007, 09:29 AM
PlaneKrazee

After rereading you description of the failure it does sound like it seized do to a lean run and a fuel with no castor. No engine company, not OS, Saito or others will warranty that.

The items I noticed and corrected in engines I own or have owned would not have led to this type of failure. In fact, one of the engines with the undersize piston had been run for 6 gallons of fuel and then torn down, the ring still had it's machine marks on it and the cylinder wall still looked new.

You have received an expensive lesson in why some castor in your fuel, say 20% of the total oil package is a good thing.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:21 PM
injunnut1

>>>I am just not sure that it is worth the expense to ship to Japan and then pay full price for parts and repairs... some warrenty consideration would be nice.... <<<
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's likely you could buy a good used one or maybe even a NIB one on ePay for $$cheaper$$ than having yours repaired. As for this engine's piston freezing, there are many things that can cause this to happen other than just improper fuel. First of all we do not know that the piston froze before or AFTER the rod broke. Unfortunately when an engine looses its rod, it usually takes out the piston and crankshaft too (via breakage and / or distortion), and sometimes the cylinder and even the crankcase goes also! Even the great Henry Nelson once had a run of his high dollar .15 engines which had a problem with the pistons GROWING too much and thus seizing, this nothing at all to do with the fuel, but with the metal alloy and / or initial tolerance set-up.

I have read a many a story posted over at the Stuka C/L Forum where the guys say they used to run the old Enya engines (with lapped iron pistons) on the plane until the piston seized, then let it cool down and do it again and then again and again until the engine would finally break in, and thus eventually become a very fine engine that would 'Live Forever"! However I do believe these guys did indeed use relatively large doses of castor oil in their fuel.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Richard39

I do not believe that I run any engine too lean as I go more for a little rich and lose a few rpm's as a rule... I have been using PowerMaster 15% Nitro and 18% oil/castor/syn mix... for over a year... would that sound like it was running on the wrong fuel and too lean....? We all realize that there are two schools on castor or castor/syn or synthetic only... It is a catch 22....
Old 04-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Bone

Maybe it's time to call it a day on that particular engine - salvage all the good parts - then go & buy another Enya 40SS BB making sure you run it on all castor. Despite your unfortunate experience, these are very good engines [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.