Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Evolution 1.00 Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:26 PM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 1.00 Fix

I've had Dave McDDD to do some testing on my Evolution 1.00 and he's come to the conclusion that the Evo carb is total junk. I'll be that surprises no one. Well, he's come up with a fix for it. Throw that carb out and replace it with an OS #7D, a TT 1.20 carb or a ST 90 carb. All of these carbs work just fine with no lean spots in the mid range. I'll tell you, the Evolution 1.00 with the stock carb is a re-kitting waiting to happen. Now if I can just find one of these carbs to put on it when he sends it back to me!

edit: Since no one seems to agree, nevermind..........
Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Evolution 1.00 Fix

First I've heard that. The one at my club is flying fine with the stock carb and Saito SS plug.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:44 PM
aussiesteve

I had a bunch of trouble with mine - until I removed the carb and installed the missing O'ring where it mounts to the crankcase. Now it runs just fine. Certainly a lot better than any Supertigre carb that I've experienced.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you search, there is a thread on the Evo 100 & 46 and how to tune them correctly. It seems many have the collars installed incorrectly at the factory. The low end needle should start at 1 1/5 turns out.

Another thread mentions about adding a stronger spring inside the carb to stop the rotating barrel from vibrating in and out.

There was a thread just recently about how bad the ST 90 carb was.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:15 PM
blw

I almost mentioned the missing o ring, but thought that was for the .61. I'll remember that.

Thanks on the 1 1/5 turns setting info. I didn't know that. I have always removed the collars and baffles.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:03 AM
wessco

Geez. I posted my findings and you all say I'm wrong?Maybe some people just can't get a SuperTigre to run right either?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The low speed needles in carbs are usually made by a sub contractor. I imagine they are ground to the taper. Recently, SK engines got some bad low speed needles that was causing the affected engines to run poorly. Last month, I bought a Tower .75 and had trouble with it on the bench going very rich in the mid range. I swapped in a carb from one of my SK 90s and the Tower ran perfectly.

People who have run Tower .75s for years tell me I am just not adjusting the carb right, but since I've been doing this since 1950 and have the SK carbs (and numerous other brands) adjusted correctly, this does not make sense to me.

I might be wrong, but it might be that more than one Chinese engine manufacturer uses the same supplier for carb needles. This could affect several engines of different brands across the board. ST engines are now made in China so some of them may have a bad needle.

If you can't get your engine adjusted where it runs right, return it to the distributor for a fix. These people, from my experience, are interested in keeping their customers happy so you don't change brands.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:28 PM
wessco

The carb in question is being sent to me, so I can send it back to Horizon Hobby. The RPMs are down with the ST carb, but the overall running is much better. The ST carb doesn't have the lean spot in the mid range, like the Evo carb has.

As you can see, the ST 90 carb lost some top end power compared to the rest of the carbs. However, when the Kat 70 was flying, the ST 90 carb felt like it made the Evo 100 run it's best overall. The TT 120 and OS 7D carbs provided a little more top end power, but the engine didn't feel like it ran quite as consistent as it did with the ST 90 carb.
Consistency is what counts in my book. That'd be like having a YS and not knowing how to tune them.......
Old 04-22-2007, 04:48 PM
redipsekud
My Feedback: (6)

just for laughs i put a ST 61 carb on mine,put it in a Kat GS 70 and FLEW THE HELL OUT OF IT,i couldnt believe it,ive had bigtime problems with this engine and this is the best its ran so far.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:40 PM
wessco

ORIGINAL: redipsekud

just for laughs i put a ST 61 carb on mine,put it in a Kat GS 70 and FLEW THE HELL OUT OF IT,i couldnt believe it,ive had bigtime problems with this engine and this is the best its ran so far.
Can you believe it? Then somebody has already written this:

There was a thread just recently about how bad the ST 90 carb was.
Maybe all the people that agreed that the ST 90 carb was bad, just doesn't know how to tune them.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:42 PM
wessco

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman
If you can't get your engine adjusted where it runs right, return it to the distributor for a fix. These people, from my experience, are interested in keeping their customers happy so you don't change brands.

Oh, it runs great....for flying in great big circles, but for those of us who knows how to use the rudder to keep a plane from flying in these circles....well, it sort of sucks.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:52 PM
aussiesteve

Geez. I posted my findings and you all say I'm wrong? Maybe some people just can't get a SuperTigre to run right either?
Oh, it runs great....for flying in great big circles, but for those of us who knows how to use the rudder to keep a plane from flying in these circles....well, it sort of sucks.
Maybe all the people that agreed that the ST 90 carb was bad, just doesn't know how to tune them
I've had Dave McDDD to do some testing on my Evolution 1.00 and he's come to the conclusion that the Evo carb is total junk. I'll be that surprises no one. Well, he's come up with a fix for it. Throw that carb out and replace it with an OS #7D, a TT 1.20 carb or a ST 90 carb. All of these carbs work just fine with no lean spots in the mid range. I'll tell you, the Evolution 1.00 with the stock carb is a re-kitting waiting to happen. Now if I can just find one of these carbs to put on it when he sends it back to me!

edit: Since no one seems to agree, nevermind..........
Seems to me that you just started this thread to pick an argument

You say you posted your findings? All I see is you posted one persons opinion then are intent on disagreeing with everybody elses. what exactly are your issues, what doesn't it do right? and BTW - you must build a lot of planes - all of mine do a large circle - it's the only way I know of to get them back to the same field from which they departed
Old 04-22-2007, 05:56 PM
wessco

OK.....arguing over this engine just isn't worth it. I didn't start this thread to start an argument. I posted this in hopes that someone else might use the information. Sorry if it sounds like I wanted to argue.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 PM
blw

Some solutions have been offered that would probably work for you. The .61 is a pretty well made engine with a good reputation.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:33 AM
wessco

In this case, a ST 90 carb will be used.......