Magnum .52 4 stroke question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:53 PM
techsarge
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum .52 4 stroke question...

Hi...

Yesterday and today I mounted a Magnum 52 4 stroke on a test stand and followed the break-in instructions and ran it for a little over 35 minutes total. I used Omega 10% and the glow plug that came with the engine. It started right away altho I had opened the high speed needle three turns. After the break-in period, the hi speed needle is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out from fully closed. Near the end of the break-in period the engine did get quite warm to the touch and not much if any smoke came from the muffler. I tached the engine at the last run and it varied around 9k. I backed it down to about 8700 rpm and called it a day. I used a 12X5 wood prop for the break-in. I didn't touch the low speed needle but it seemed to be idling around 2700 or so. Do all these numbers seem to be in the ballpark? I didn't tighten down the bolts during the first engine run but checked them afterwards and most were a little loose. This is my first Magnum and anxious to get it in the air within the next few weeks. Thanks in advance...

Ed
Old 04-23-2007, 07:38 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnum .52 4 stroke question...

ORIGINAL: techsarge

Hi...

Yesterday and today I mounted a Magnum 52 4 stroke on a test stand and followed the break-in instructions and ran it for a little over 35 minutes total. I used Omega 10% and the glow plug that came with the engine. It started right away altho I had opened the high speed needle three turns. After the break-in period, the hi speed needle is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out from fully closed. Near the end of the break-in period the engine did get quite warm to the touch and not much if any smoke came from the muffler. I tached the engine at the last run and it varied around 9k. I backed it down to about 8700 rpm and called it a day. I used a 12X5 wood prop for the break-in. I didn't touch the low speed needle but it seemed to be idling around 2700 or so. Do all these numbers seem to be in the ballpark? I didn't tighten down the bolts during the first engine run but checked them afterwards and most were a little loose. This is my first Magnum and anxious to get it in the air within the next few weeks. Thanks in advance...

Ed

----------------

Everything sounds good to me, Ed. The idle speed would decrease as you get more time on the engine and your peak reading could increase a bit too.

A 12x6 is what I use on my .52 sized engines (four-stroke). A 12x5 would be great for breaking-in the engine. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy. I like the Magnum .52 four-stroke. It is a great running engine.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a couple on a twin and those figures sound pretty good to me, although I have never tached mine. About the time you want to install it on a plane, you need to check and adjust the valves. They change during break-in and will need to be adjusted.

Our two have been excellent running engines. We have had them on scale planes and never had one bit of trouble with them. I did put them into the water on a seaplane crash which later caused the bearings to go bad, but Global Services fixed them, no charge.

I started off with Saito 4-strokes, but a buddy and I tried a Magnum and we ended up with 1 or 2 or every size from .30 up to the 1.20. Excellent for the price.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 PM
techsarge

Thanks for the quick note and the tip on the valve adjustments. It will be going on a Sig 1/5 scale Cub and once I get the engine and cowl installed I would rather not have to remove the cowl again to adjust the valves. The engine will be inverted and wonder if you have run the .52 inverted and if so, did you use an on-board glow plug driver?

I have a Saito 91 which I really like but I was able to get this Magnum for a pretty fair price brand new. I read some positive comments on supprt and thought I'd give the Magnum a try. I was amazed that on the first engine run it started immediately and fairly smooth considering how rich the needle was set. Appreciate your help...

Ed
Old 04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience with the Magnum four strokes is that they are supplied from the factory with loose screws. They must not use torque wrenches like the Japanese manufacturers do.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 PM
telejojo

I noticed on mine if you get just a click or two lean it will shut off at half to full throttle.If this happens just richen it up a few clicks and it will run fine.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:46 PM
techsarge

Hi, Ed...

Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate your feedback. This is the first Magnum engine I've owned so want to make sure I do things according to Hoyle. I'm not sure which prop I'll settle on yet. I may stay with the 12X5 and see how it flies the Sig 1/5 scale Cub. It will probably be a few weeks before I get it in the air. I have to say that I was amazed how quickly it started on the first run. I used an electric starter instead of a chicken stick but it still surprised me. Looking forward to getting that combo in the air...

Ed
Old 04-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

This engine will get a lot stronger after about a gallon or so. I bought one for $65.00 once. It was almost new and had only several tanks thru it, typically they also seem not to have much compression so the guy thought he had a real dog. I helped him out of his delema, the engine is really a great little runner and a real keeper to say the least.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:02 AM
Test005

I agree, the Mag .52-fs is a very good engine.
I had it on a LT40 and it was a perfect power combo... Video Clip

APC 12X6
Byron 15%
OS-F
Old 04-24-2007, 05:05 PM
techsarge

Sounds like a lot of fliers are happy with the Magnum. The engine will be inverted and I'm really tempted to get an on board glow driver. Have you had any experience with an inverted Magnum or any glow engine for that matter? If so, did you find you had to run the on board glow driver? I might be looking in the wrong places but haven't see much on their use. Thanks...

Ed

Old 04-24-2007, 05:27 PM
ABORH

I have the 52 in a Slow Poke and was initially very frustrated with it... because I did NOT take the time to break it in (my bad). I found it got very hot and would die in the air (naturally). Once broken in it continues to be quite reliable and very easy to tune and start. It no longer overheats either. I would have no fear of mounting it inverted with out glo-driver. I have successfully flown a thunder Tiger 54FS inverted for several years and it has an air-bleed carburettor instead of the twin needle the Magnum has. My .02.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: techsarge

Sounds like a lot of fliers are happy with the Magnum. The engine will be inverted and I'm really tempted to get an on board glow driver. Have you had any experience with an inverted Magnum or any glow engine for that matter? If so, did you find you had to run the on board glow driver? I might be looking in the wrong places but haven't see much on their use. Thanks...

Ed

I am currently running two: one is slant (maybe I should say 135 degrees) side mounted in a Seagull Decathlon, the other is inverted in a SIG Rascal 40. Both run trouble free. The inverted one has remote glow (not on board glow) just to make it easier to attach the glow starter battery. Both run 12X6 props. A very reliable engine.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:34 PM
techsarge

Thanks for the information. I ran it for about 35 minutes and I think I'll run it on the stand this weekend for another 10 minutes or so to be on the safe side. I stopped at the lhs and picked up another gallon of Omega 10% so I have plenty of fuel and time. I used latex paint for the cowl and the Robart landing gear and want to give it another week or so before I spray them with clearkote.

Ed
Old 04-25-2007, 04:46 PM
techsarge

Jim...

I stopped at the hobby shop this afternoon and picked up a Sullivan remote glow setup and and MAS 12X6 prop. That remote setup should keep me from having to get too near the prop. Not sure if I should stay with the break-in prop (12X5) or not. I don't imagine I would notice much difference between them. Anyway, I decided to save some bucks and hold off on the remote glow driver. From what I've read here on RC UNIVERSE, if the idle adjustment is set up properly, there shouldn't be any need for the driver even if the four stroke is inverted. Thanks again...

Ed
Old 04-25-2007, 10:58 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

It might be a good idea to stay with the 12X5 break in prop for a bit longer. The initial break in is just to get basic reliability with the engine. It's not going to develope full power for some time, yet. Give it a chance to get better run in before going to the 12X6 prop. It will be flying your Cub pretty much scale, but then, that is a Cub at its best!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:41 AM
DVM100

I have two magnum .52s and have had them in various aircraft. I started with one in a 40 size World Models Ultimate, then switched it to a Seagull PC9 and I have now have two in a CMPro Mosquito. They have been upright, inverted and side mounted and they run like kittens. In the Mosquito I have glow drivers on them mainly for the added reliability in the air but I have never had an engine failure with them without glow drivers in single engine configurations. I use 10% nitro with 15% synthetic oil and a standard FS plug. I've run them with 12 x 6 Master Airscrew and 12.5 x 6 Bolly props and they are great performers. I also have two .70 FS Magnums and a 1.20 FS Magnum and wonder why people pay so much more for Saito or OS engines.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:41 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I have flown the Magnum .52 about 4 seasons now. At first I placed it on a plane without breaking it in and had trouble. Removed the motor and broke it in and it has performed flawlesly since. Great motor but needs to be broken in and it will get hot at first. I am looking for a 1/2 and am considering the Magnum. But now Tower lists the 1.2 Magnum and the OS at 309 and 319. For only 10 more I think I will try the OS.

JEB
Old 04-26-2007, 03:56 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Just be sure the tank isn't too high for your inverted setup.

I prefer to have the center of the tank level with the center of the carb or even a little bit lower. One other issue with this engine is that the high speed needle is very blunt so very little movement can drastically change the mixture. I've changed mine to the 91's needle valve (Which is the one listed in the parts listing but not the one it shipped with) and been able to get a much more precise and less erratic mixture as well as a more reliable idle.