Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

New OS FSa-56 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 PM
yank51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New OS FSa-56 4 stroke

OK, second try with this... First had a direct link to EBAY which is a no-no. I apologize to all for violation. Anyway, came across a new OS over at EBAY that was a "buy Now" item. An OS FSa-56 4 stroke. A really nice looking engine, and if it runs as well as most OS engines do, it'll be a winner. Strange thing though, right after I made my original post the item went from "Buy Now" to no longer there. It was being sold by a shop out of Hong Kong that appears to have a good rating on the bay. I'm just wondering if ANYONE knows anything about this one, or was a mistake made and someone "let the cat out of the bag" so to speak. Anyway, if my pictures uploaded alright, you'll be able to see what I saw. I just can't link to the saved page is all. Again, sorry to the community and the administration for my earlier post...
Almost forgot to add, I could not find this engine at the OS main site. Anyone got any information??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16279.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	676219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50933.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	676220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48913.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	676221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30579.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	676222  
Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New OS FSa-56 4 stroke

That company has been listing that and the FS-200 for probably three weeks. None have sold that I watched. Is this engine not available in Japan already?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
TimC

The O.S. .56 was being listed at Tower Hobbies as coming in April. Now it's not listed. They were probably afraid of killing sales of the .52.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:52 PM
downunder

ORIGINAL: yank51
<------------------------------------
Old 05-02-2007, 03:52 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

O.S. is apparently replacing the entire Surpass line with a new line of four-strokes. They've been getting squeezed by Saito with regard to power/weight ratio and they've been getting squeezed by Magnum with regard to price.

I'd have to guess that these new 4-strokes will probably be lighter weight and more closely marketed against Saito engines. We might be talking all about the new O.S. .82, 1.00, and 1.25 4-strokes this time next year.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 AM
XJet
Banned

I hope the *new* OS 4-strokes are as light as the Saitos and more competitively priced.

I *love* my Saitos and they run *soooo* sweetly (but powerfully) -- it's just that they're so damned expensive!

Mind you, spair parts for Saito are surprisingly cheap when compared to OS (don't ask how I know, it's all to do with unexpected encounters with terra-firma :-)
Old 05-02-2007, 06:33 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the new OS line looks like what was pictured in the previous post, I'll just hold on to the OS engines that I have. I hate that styling. It isn't functional and is gaudy looking to the point of being cheap looking.

In fact, I'm thinking of returning my OS.55AX for the same reason - it is fugly.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 AM
yank51

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

If the new OS line looks like what was pictured in the previous post, I'll just hold on to the OS engines that I have. I hate that styling. It isn't functional and is gaudy looking to the point of being cheap looking.

In fact, I'm thinking of returning my OS.55AX for the same reason - it is fugly.

Ed Cregger
Well, to each their own...LOL Ed, that's what makes the world go around. If we all liked the same things, what kind of hobby would this be anyway?? Kinda like Ford vs. Chevy, but OS just holds a place for me as they were the engines I started on back in the late 70's and early 80's. Most of the guys at my flying field use Saito 4 strokes and you should have seen their looks and heard the comments when I showed up with my old OS .40 FSR engines that were older than many of them...LOL (and still running fine BTW)
Old 05-02-2007, 01:04 PM
DarZeelon

Oh, doesn't this engine really look like a 'four-stroke AX'?

...The extended cylinder cooling fins are partly shrouding the push-rod guide tubes...

And that avatar sure looks familar... I'm sure I have seen it somewhere before...

And speaking of old OS FSR engines, many people think they run better than most new offerings; even from OS... They sure last longer.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:15 PM
yank51

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

And that avatar sure looks familar... I'm sure I have seen it somewhere before...

And speaking of old OS FSR engines, many people think they run better than most new offerings; even from OS... They sure last longer.
Yes, you have seen it (the avatar that is) somewhere else. I'm not the original one to use it, but I can't remember on which forum (here or RCG's) that someone else is using the same one. Also, a friend of mine uses it on MSN messenger. I sometimes use the "cat with a helmet" one, which is kind of funny also. You are the 2nd one ot comment on it... LOL
Yes, you are right about the old FSR's having a long life. I've got 3 .40 size FSRs, but one is in need of new bearings. Just have to put them in, and all will be well.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:43 PM
DarZeelon

...but one is in need of new bearings. Just have to put them in, and all will be well.

Yank,

Paul McIntosh of [link=http://rc-bearings.com/]RC-Bearings[/link] will sell you a set of bearings for this engine for $6, or a ceramic set for ~$24 (stainless steel adds $5).

...The Yanks play in Bronx, NY...

Cheers.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have purchased from that seller before. He is reliable.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Kmot

Tower is still listing parts:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FS&FVPROFIL=++
Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
downunder

Yes, you have seen it (the avatar that is) somewhere else. I'm not the original one to use it, but I can't remember on which forum (here or RCG's) that someone else is using the same one.
I've seen it over on RCG too but I'm not sure if the same guy uses it here on RCU...it's kind of familiar though...

<-------------------------------------------------
Old 05-03-2007, 01:01 AM
NM2K

I like light weight engines. The forward fin extension on the new OS engines is strictly for looks.

It is an engine, not something that I would show off to anyone. I would rather it not weigh more just for the sake of appearance. I would also prefer that they return to bushing both ends of the connecting rod and correcting the other recent omissions, like valve seats in the cylinder heads of four-strokes. They are on their way to making odd looking junk, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm an OS fan from the Sixties and I have quite a few OS engines in my engine collection, but this new direction is distressing to me. It reminds me of how the American engine manufacturers (and car manufacturers) began taking their consumer base for granted and began cheapening things up, but adding flash. That opened the door for the Japanese to move in and nearly run them out of business. Now the Japanese are doing the same thing. The Chinese will fill the vacuum eventually with higher quality/more durable products with better engineering/manufacturing and less flash. When you get old, you begin to see the cycles in everything. Manufacturing is no different than any other area of life.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Kmot

Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I love the look of this new OS engine. I think it is a very sexy update to the design and it is very appealing to me. I won't be dumping all my old skool engines because of it. But I definitely like the new look. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 AM
AMB

Ed and the rest of the group with the added fins it just might run cooler a good thing, that might be their thinking the "flashy is the colored valve cover" but then again telephone are not all Ma bell black anymore either and as a 56 looking for some of the Saito sales, you can buy a mag52 4 strk on sale now for $120 from hobby people not as pretty but a good 4 stk thumper have 2 and no issues. If they want to do something different they should put out a diesel 4 strk the Enya leaves a lot to be desired (see diesel site on that one) martin
Old 05-03-2007, 04:35 AM
NM2K

I don't buy it being done because the engine runs cooler, Martin. I believe they are appealing to the latest generation of non modelers to invade R/C that are not the least bit technically oriented, but whom are easily impressed by ARFs with neat looking inverted engines that cause endless misery to the owners, all because aesthetics sells to the uninformed.

The only constant in life is change. I should treasure and horde my old engines and not pay attention to the latest trends. <G>

I do not doubt for a second that OS' latest strategy will lead to greater short term profits. So, in that sense, their efforts will bear fruit.

While I was mildly interested in the Enya Diesel engine, I never really thought that it stood a chance of having much utility without a means of seriously adjusting the compression ratio.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-03-2007, 06:14 AM
DarZeelon

...Who was it that said: "If it doesn't sell well, just chrome it!"?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:59 AM
yank51

ORIGINAL: downunder

Yes, you have seen it (the avatar that is) somewhere else. I'm not the original one to use it, but I can't remember on which forum (here or RCG's) that someone else is using the same one.
I've seen it over on RCG too but I'm not sure if the same guy uses it here on RCU...it's kind of familiar though...

<-------------------------------------------------

No, I use a different one over there....LOL
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 AM
AMB

One thingI did notice they do have sort of velocity stack on the carb not just a short stub, and like anything else time will tell, one thing for sure "Glitz" will not make me run out and buy one, well said Dar, hope is not like the spinning chrome wheel covers you see on some cars now . and again maybe be thats the type of buyer they are shooting for'
But saito does have the Golden Knight series too, having 2 Saito 72s a metal rear cover would have been better than the plastic ones. that was a surprise I do not buy the save weight theory on that one its save bucks in making the engine, When OS took over making Irvines that irvine jetstream carb became history too/ -- Some of the larger electric
power set ups easily exceed the cost of a YS63 at least by a factor of 2. martin
Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Jyrki

I just got a O.S a 56 and made a short test run in a bench.

smooth!

but humm.. where is the Breather nipple?? Seriously: I can't find it!!?? [&:]
Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 AM
djlyon

If there is no breather nipple they are probable just allowing the leakage though the front bearing to vent the crankcase which means the oil will just lub the out side of your plane.[:'(]
Old 05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
TimC

On another thread, the venting was said to be up to the rocker box, then into the intake port.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

There is no breather nipple. The crankcase fumes pass the cam followers through the pushrod tubes to the rocker well. There you will find a small passage into the intake port.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5630457/tm.htm

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/...ha56/index.htm

The "velocity stack" is a functional piece to improve fuel economy and reduce emissions of raw fuel. I think that the PCV system and carb inlet are things OS is doing to preempt EPA type regulations of model engines.

I think the styling comes from engineers working on multitudes of car engines. Just look at OS production time line. There have been few air engines in recent years, far outnumbered by car engines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.