Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines
View Poll Results: A poll
Never
24.81%
Occasionally (if I think about it)
15.04%
At the end of every day at the field
42.86%
Only if the engine is stored for longer than....
17.29%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

How many use after run oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How many use after run oil?

I have had bearing get sticky and crunchy a number of times after a few weeks of inactivity. I simply flood the crank case with fuel and let it soak for a few minutes. Its only congealed castor oil. Rusted bearings do not usually get that sticky and usually are only noticed when the engine is running; they cause the bearing to whine.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 AM
spiral_72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this poll certainly was a big hit. Aside from the drama halfway through, it seems roughly that:

50% use oil
50% do not or at least it's not important enough to run everytime.

The reason I asked it that #1 should I use it, but #2 The engine I bought with my trainer is 20yrs old and seems to be in excellent condition. I didn't notice anything I would consider after run oil blow out the first time I started it (although I did not disasseble the engine). I am positive the engine has been run before it was stored on the plane. Actually, it seems to be in superior condition...

Thatnks for the info all. I'm going to probably use MM oil or one of the off the shelf oils after I research them. The trans fluid has a lot of detergents in the formula and seems to preserve trannys well, but I don't think I'm going that route.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spiral_72

Well, this poll certainly was a big hit. Aside from the drama halfway through, it seems roughly that:

50% use oil
50% do not or at least it's not important enough to run everytime.

The reason I asked it that #1 should I use it, but #2 The engine I bought with my trainer is 20yrs old and seems to be in excellent condition. I didn't notice anything I would consider after run oil blow out the first time I started it (although I did not disasseble the engine). I am positive the engine has been run before it was stored on the plane. Actually, it seems to be in superior condition...

Thatnks for the info all. I'm going to probably use MM oil or one of the off the shelf oils after I research them. The trans fluid has a lot of detergents in the formula and seems to preserve trannys well, but I don't think I'm going that route.
The reason I went with ATF is because that's what Bill Robison recommended. He knew more about engines than I ever will and I respected his opinion.
John
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And...ATF only costs a couple-three bucks a quart...
I'm using Campbell-Housefield air tool oil right now...and it cost me that much for 8 oz. so I think when it runs out, I'm gonna try the ATF or maybe Mobil 1 so I'm safe in my engines w/ diaphrams.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Nitro Fumes

I race R/C cars. I always run the engine dry at the end of the day and then put a few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil down the carb and brip the starter. I've even stored some engines for several years like that and they start right up like they had been run the day before. I forgot to add, 2 stroke for me.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:19 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: proptop

And...ATF only costs a couple-three bucks a quart...
I'm using Campbell-Housefield air tool oil right now...and it cost me that much for 8 oz. so I think when it runs out, I'm gonna try the ATF or maybe Mobil 1 so I'm safe in my engines w/ diaphrams.
I've been using Mobil 1 as an anti-rust treatment for many years. I was sold the first time I put some on my the table of my milling machine. It spread out and formed a thin film all by itself, totally wetting the surface of the exposed metal. It seems to do the same when used as an ARO -- seeking out and reaching all those little nooks and crannies, covering them with a thin film of protective oil.

It's not cheap (compared to ATF) but a little goes a very long way.