Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

gloengine nitro

Old 05-04-2007, 08:45 AM
schwenk
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gloengine nitro

how high can i go in nitro content on os 2 stroke glo engines?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: gloengine nitro

For most sport model airplane applications, 10 to 15% is all you will ever need. I ran 5% nitro for years in pattern. Four strokes perform well on 20% as in a 20%oil/20% nitro YS blend. Helicopters will run up to 30% in a heli blend fuel. Above 30% you start to get into speed and pylon racing applications where needle valve settings get real testy. Racing engines are timed so that they can run the high nitro content fuels. Experts only at this level, so these engines are toast. Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Above 30% you start to get into speed and pylon racing applications where needle valve settings get real testy.
They are now limited to 15% nitro. Speed used to have an unlimited class where up to 70% nitro was used as well as various wierd stuff. I think the 70% limit is because that is the most that would mix with the oil as at least some methanol is needed to make the oil mix.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

I did not know about that. I haven't kept up with the new formulas of .40 size pylon. Back in the good ol' days, 40 to 60% nitro was the norm in Formula I. But with the modern Nelsons and Jetts, I'm sure they are still getting buku power and rpm out of them, even on 15%.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:24 PM
onewasp

Back in the Nitro Kart days we used to answer that question by saying that you tip the nitro can until the piston begins to come out of the exhaust----then back off a little.