Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: OPS Engines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OPS Engines

I have an OPS 30 cc. NIB engine and was wondering if they (OPS) are still in business. I'm getting tired of 'saving' this engine for the 'right' plane....
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OPS Engines

www.ops-engines.com will get you to a new site. It's just one page with a couple car engines on it. It has an e-mail link to the company though. I would be interested to know if they put out more than car engines. The OPS .67 used to be THE marine engine back in the day... Ross

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since the web site had a contact form, I went ahead and filled it out. My OPS .67 ran pretty well, right up to the point where it threw the rod, which also took out the piston and bent the bottom of the liner. I was going to rebuild it, but picked up a NIB OS .81 for a little more than what I would have spent on the OPS parts.
    AMA 87959

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I sure wish they would continue with their website. It has been like that for MONTHS.
    Contains only the finest ingredients, Methanol, Castor Oil and Nitromethane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are they still making the 30 cc? I would like to sell mine, but I have no idea what it is worth.
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have an OPS 30cc which I bought when they were at the end of their production and paid $125.00 NIB.Kind of bulky and heavy but once you get the Dellorto tuned in they run ok.They run on ST fuel (low oil).I ran mine on a Stinger 1.20 till the plane ripped in half and the engine hit the ground and craked the crankshaft.

edited by moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a OPS FIRE 40 with the OPS pipe that I have flown in a couple of quickie 500 planes just for fun. It is next going in a Mach Racer delta. I would say this engine is on par with the Rossi engines and is just as heavy too. I have never seen another one like it.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a OPS .60 redhead SE pattern engine. Although the engine looks to have low time on it, the wrist pin to piston fit is on the loose side when compared to my OS and ST engines that have much more running. Is this normal for a OPS? Is it something to be concerned about?

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had an OPS Maxi 30 several years ago. They were a very long stroke, thumper engine. I used an 18-10 prop. You need to use 5% or no nitro fuel. As I recall, I used the low oil, synthetic fuel from Cool Power with 5% oil like chain saw engines converted to glow use. You can use regular model fuel, but it had roller bearings on the connecting rod like a big engine so you don't need much.

They hand start with a back flip after priming. Mine had the pumper carb.

It has slightly less power than the old ST 3000. I had 4 of those so that's a good comparison. It vibrates more than the 3000.

The cylinder is very tall since it's a long stroke. You'll never be able to hide it in a cowl.

I had to have someone make an adapter to mount a muffler on it.

Always did run good, but just didn't have the power.

Ed Moorman, AMA 553, Former R/C Report Fun Aerobatics Columnist. 76 and up to my old tricks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rcdude7, Wrist pin clearance should be as tight as on your OS. If compression is still good maybe you could have a machinist friend install a slightly oversize pin. Ross

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The piston/cyl fit is good, with a nice pinch at the top. I'll measure the pin with my calipers and see if I can find something oversize that will work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought a 30 CC maxi a few years back and the power just wasn't there, however I did like the walboro design carb with the pump. OPS made-makes some real screaming small engines and I was hoping the traight carried over to the larger ones but in my case it didn't. After I got the engine I did some checking and found out they no longer was made and that OPS had down sized considerably. If memory serves me right here I think the buggy engines was all they was making at that time.
    I traded it for a 91FX NIB old style. At least the OPS ran ok *LOL*
    If you can\'\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'\'ve got an electrical problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Are they still making the 30 cc? I would like to sell mine, but I have no idea what it is worth.
    It should be a right engine for gas conversion. Please see the link below:
    http://tech.flygsw.org/OPS.htm
    I own a Super Tigre S3000 with "K" Large Carb (Modlel No. 11003363).