Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 125 Fuel Mix

Old 05-07-2007, 07:07 AM
mikuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 125 Fuel Mix

Hello, Have just fitted a Saito 125A to a Funtana, I need to know what fuel mix, the engine instructions say 10-20% nitro and synthetic oil (no castor), anyone have any idea as to % oil, I have Modeltechnics Bekra mix, which is 5% nitro, 18% Klotz Technoplate, not a problem to add either to it as I have some in stock. Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike
Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito 125 Fuel Mix

Mik,

Despite Saito's recommendation, I do use some castor oil.

My mix is now 15% nitro, 18% Klotz Techniplate, 2% Klotz BeNOL castor oil and the remaining 65% methanol.

As soon as I receive the oil from Cooper Fuels, all the Techniplate will be replaced by 15% of this superior oil; and the methanol will be bumped to 68%.

Castor oil sticks to the bearings and protects against the increased tendency of these four-stroke engines to rust.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

The fuel you described as already having sounds good to me.

It would probably transition a little quicker/cleaner with more nitro, but some have reported that this engine does just fine on 5%. I'd give it a try and find out.

I'm surprised that your importer warns against any castor oil in the fuel. I wouldn't feel comfortable without at least 2 - 3% in the mix. Saito engines do not use bushed connecting rods these days. Plus the castor coats the ball bearings and prevents rust. With just a little castor in the fuel, I doubt if you will ever need to clean the exhaust valve and port.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Ditto on the Castor oil. I always make sure there is some in the fuel mix. The higher Nitro content may make the engine idle better but they should run just fine on the mix you have. Dispite what some magazine engine authors say, Castor is good for your engine, good protection for lean runs and good protection for your bearings.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 05-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is my Saito 1.00 idling on Fox 5% nitro fuel with 20% castor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93706.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	679452  
Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

My Saito 1.25 manual does not suggest 10-20% nitro or fuel without castor.

What it does say is 20% oil and 10-15% nitro is recommended. If not available, then high quality 2 stroke glow fuel such as Hangar 9 Aero Blend, Omega, Cool Power, K&B, Power Master, etc.

Using fuel with entirely castro is not recommended.

A mix of synthetic and castor is acceptable.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
mikuk

Thanks for the replies guys, I must agree about the castor as I normally run with 2-3% of it in my OS 4-strokes, from what you have all said I'll take the middle road and add 2% quality castor to the Bekra mix and up the nitro to the 10% I normally use. Will stick with it if its happy on that. Regards Mike
Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM
aussiesteve

As BLW Said. The recommendation is not to use fuel that is entirely castor. I doesn't say to not use it at all.

I run 15% nitro in all my Saitos and they are all happy with that. I use 3% Castor and 17% Coolpower (20% total oil) and have never experienced a corrossion problem to date. (I'm also a little slack when it comes to using after run oil).

My sons accidentally filled my normal flight box fuel container with FAI fuel (0% Nitro and 20% Castor) a couple of years ago and all of my Saitos (including the 1.25 we had at the time) ran happily on it - yes we did have a tuning problem and the transitions weren't great but they ran happily all day nevertheless.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I only did that to see how it ran on the 5% stuff.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:23 PM
aussiesteve

I only did it as a mistake - the teenagers (12 and 13 at the time) didn't twig to the fact that they were filling the flight box container with a different color fuel to normal and I didn't supervise them properly when they were doing the first fills for the day. I wouldn't recommend it to be done as a normal practice it sure plays havoc with the tuning and the power curve. - Great recommendation for one of our favourite engine brands though - they still ran OK on it.