Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Switching Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 04:08 AM
bzrogers
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching Nitro

How does switching back and forth between 15-30% nitro effect an engine?

Does running 30% nitro have any long term effects on an engine?

I am running an OS 91 FS.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:26 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switching Nitro

You should not switch from low nitro to high. You should pick a nitro content, and stick with it. Your engine "wears in" to the temperatures created by that specific nitro content. Higher nitro causes more metal expansion in the parts. You can eventually switch to a LOWER nitro content as your engine gets more wear on it (less compression as it wears out). The lower nitro content will expand the parts less, and in effect will give you a tighter piston/cylinder fit, and better compression. I believe this is more inportant in an ABC (or ABN as the case may be) engine than it is in a ringed engine. As for running 30% in the FS, I can't help you there. I know the Saito's love it though!! Higher nitro really shines in small displacement engines (as long as the compression ratio is right).
Old 03-08-2003, 05:09 PM
bzrogers
My Feedback: (7)

Default Switching Nitro

Thanks for the info FlyingPilgrim
Old 03-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Default Switching Nitro

Never really thought about higher nitro causing more heat in an engine. Guess it makes sense in a way. Just thought if the oil content was simular the the temp would be close to the same. Good info.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:14 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Switching Nitro

Hi!
Your wasting your money and could distroy the engine if you run your OS FS engine (s) on 30% nitro.
These engines are "made " to run on max 15% nitro....and they just run fine on 5-10%.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 03-08-2003, 08:06 PM
downunder-RCU

Default Switching Nitro

So long as you retune when changing fuels you can use whatever nitro content you like. In some engines going to a higher nitro content can actually make them run a little cooler. Although they develop a bit more power (and more waste heat) the increased fuel flow gives more internal cooling so it tends to balance out. Go to http://www.modeltechnics.com/glowplug/firepower.html and see what affect different fuels and plugs have on head temps for various engines.