Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 50SX

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:01 AM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS 50SX

Dar, I would be interested in knowing your source of the fact that NSK, SKF, NTN, and IZO are all manufactured in Communist China.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I said most, Tim.

I am sure most manufacturers have some sizes that they still manufacture 'at home'.

But as to most common sizes...
One source is the boxes... The complex of the SKF importer to Israel (who is also the MB dealer) is across the highway from my residence.

I have seen the cartons, which contain the bearing shipments. They all say "Made in China" and they come by ship from Hong Kong.
The IZO Dealer also confessed to this and the boxes that contain the individual bearings read "Made in China"...

Shanitzki-Artzi, who deals for NTN and SKF says the same...

I cannot say that every bearing you can buy is made there, but most of them are.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 AM
RussWisc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a bearing in a 50 will be good for 10-15 Gals if you have that much fuel though it you should be pulling it apart and checking it any was

if you wait to change bearing till it falls apart its your failt ,,, change it when it STARTS to make strange noises ..

i think 10-15 Gals is a good range for a bearing life ,,,, i have changed piston sleeve in a ABC with less
Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Oly

Hi All,
Interesting discussion on bearings and the OS 50 SX. I went to Boca Bearings because I knew about them, they were very helpful on the phone (I'm not a bearing expert by any stretch of the imagination). I'm a satisfied customer...

I normally get much more than 10-15 gallons of fuel before changing bearings. Right on about changing the bearings when you hear them whine, don't wait until they fail! One thing I do is back off the high speed needle around 800 RPM from lean. I know this is probably more than most, but haven't had a lean run in years.

Off topic a bit, but should I get an OS 91 FX or the new OS 75 AX for the Ultra Sport 60 I'm building?

Thanks guys!

Oly
Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Harry Lagman

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

Where do you think most bearing manufacturers produce their bearings? I mean NSK, SKF, NTN. IZO...
Japan.

If it says "Japan" on the bearing (and every NSK or NTN I've seen in a model engine has said "Japan" ), then it's made in Japan. Reputable companies like these bearing manufacturers can't afford to lie about their products' country of origin.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 PM
DarZeelon

Grant,

No, they can't lie... But the bearings you see in model engines that you disassembled, were not produced just last week...
With the rates at which model glow engines are now made, I would say they are probably as old as 5-7 years.

Even bearings installed in new production engines, like the OS.55AX, may be that old, since they are the same bearings that fit into the OS.46FX...

But maybe NTN and NSK still make some bearings in their company country and the engine manufacturers have a source choice.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Piet Le Roux

I am sure if Dar said that glow engines bearings should last the life of the engine, it can be done. but Remember the front and rear bearings of this engine is the same as that was used in the first OS 40 size and that was rated at less than one Hp. It is also the same as the bearings used in the new OS55AX, I wonder how long they would last? Personally I would not punish my engines to make them run with bearings that has too much play. I believe that if you replace your glow engines bearings regularly you can increase your engines life span. If you know how to do it correctly and do not damage it.
But back to my beloved 50SX, yesterday I dusted off my old 40 pattern plane, drained out the after run oil, it started on the first back-flip and after about 10 meters I pulled into a vertical climb. At that moment I remembered this discussion that has been going on for so long ……..?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 AM
DarZeelon

Piet,

Please see [link=http://bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=ProductDetailKitSearch&id=85&pgid=2]this application list[/link].

It shows the many engines that have the R6-Z bearings in the front. It is used in some .61-1.20 Schnürle ported engines and four-strokes and so it also strong enough...

[link=http://bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=ProductDetailKitSearch&id=4366&pgid=2]Same for the rear 6902[/link].
Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Piet Le Roux

Interesting bearing info Dar. A while back I replaced the bearings in my OS91FX. We don’t have a lot of different brands to chose from at the local bearing shop. But I always try to get NSK, this time they only had something called "LIC", but on it is says “made in Japan†so I took a set. They did not last long and I replaced them with a set of Chinese bearings that is marketed as “BTCâ€. Up to date I have had no problems with them.
Cheers Piet
Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 AM
ggroyal1

Hello Dar,
The OS50SX will not die. I have replaced the bearings for the 5th time. I have used Boca, RC-Bearings, OS, ceramic, and I get only 15 to 20 flights. I am using Wildcat 15% and sometimes Cool power 20% pro pattern. I think it has been almost 2 yars since you and I first discussed my OS50SX in a Towers Kaos. This is such a good engine I will keep on replacing the bearings (mostly the rear). I think I can do it blind folded. I also use plenty of Marvel air tool oil after each weekend of flying.
Glad to see you are still around.
Thanks for all of the good advice,
George G. Royal
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61812.gif
Views:	8
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	814522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91320.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	814523  
Old 11-29-2007, 02:42 PM
asmund

Only 15-20 flights on each set of fresh bearings???????
Either your engine is not that good or you are doing something very wrong
Old 11-29-2007, 03:23 PM
ggroyal1

Hello Asmund,
OS replaced the crankshaft and bearings and checked everything on the engine. The temp is between 180 and 210 at peak RPM with a 11x7 APC prop. This engine really screams until the rear bearing starts going bad, I am sure it would last another 10-20 flights, but I change them at the first hint of roughtness. I have 6 other OS engines from .46 to 1.20 and never had a problem, I have a .46 OS pump made in 1992 and it runs like new.
George G. Royal
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32209.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	814834  
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM
asmund

Well, I know from my buddies flying helicopters that the Hyper 50 engine has some bearing issues too, the back one. This is the same engine as yours, just in heli version. Maybe there is something faulty/misalignment in the crankcase or something in these engines? I don`t know????
Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM
ggroyal1

I have been thinking about replacing the OS50SX with a Rossi. What do you think? They don't cost a lot more and they have some good combos at Rossi USA.
George G. Royal
Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
asmund

I used to own a Rossi 53 with the tuned muffler (minipipe) and it was incredible powerful but also VERY VERY loud. If noise is a non issue, get it!!!