Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Solvent for ultrasonic cleaner

Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Dzlstunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solvent for ultrasonic cleaner

I recently got an ultrasonic cleaner. The instructions say to use plain water for general cleaning and to add 5-10 ml detergent for "enhanced" cleaning. I have done both with some of my wife's jewelry, and that worked out OK. The directions also caution not to use "abrasives or corrosive chemicals." But I am wondering if I can use something like acetone or alcohol when doing model engine parts, for example. That would seem to make more sense when cleaning out a carb or needle valve assembly. Any thoughts? Thanks for looking and for any suggestions. Dzl
Old 08-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Solvent for ultrasonic cleaner

I use dawn dish soap for my engine parts in a sonic bath. Works great. I used to use B12 but that stuff was hard to dispose. Nobody would take it. Dish soap and water just go down the drain. Does a real good job of cleaning carb passages in walbro carbs. For really really gunked up burnt on castor, I use the antifreeze in a crock pot method and rinse off,except for walbro carbs. Does a good job cleaning and the left over tuff stuff removes pretty easy with a tooth brush, little wire brush or a pick.
Edwin
Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Campgems

Just plain water in an Ultrosonic isn't a good idea. If you don't get a wetting action on the tank, the water will cavitate and it's kind of like running the cleaner with nothing in the tank. It will damage the tranduscer.

For cleaning jewelry, you want a good cleaner for that purpose. A word of caution though, not all stones will stand up to an ultrasonic. Opal being the top of the list, but there are others that the ultrasonic waves will shatter. Also the cleaning solution is damaging to some stones, again Opal and pearls for starters.

OK enough of jewelry 101. A common way to use exotic cleaners, acetone being one it to use a wide mouth jar, and put your part and the acetone in it, secure the lid then put the jar in the cleaner with the base cleaner fluid. Don't let the jar rest on the bottom, or anything else for that matter. For long life of the cleaner, keep the objects to be cleaned suspended in the tank. Not on the sides or bottoms. It cleans better also. A company in Tx that repairs cleaners was telling me about the number of cleaners they get for repair that have holes in the bottom of the stainless steel tank from small diamonds falling out of rings when cleaning and being left in the cleaner for a few days use. Rubbys and sapphire would do the job also, but a little slower.

When using flamiable cleaning solutions, make sure they are in a sealed container in the cleaner, and then open them slowly in case any preasure has built up from the viberations.

Dish soap and power cleaner and the likes are really your best bet. If you have some really stubborn stuff that needs acetone or the likes, put it in a jar for a couple days with the acetone, and then after the gunk is softened up, put it straight into the dish soap to break loose the softened goop.

Don
Old 08-17-2007, 04:56 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

A jeweler friend told me once to use Dawn dishwashing detergent and a shot of household ammonia to clean gold. Don't know how that would work on some precious stones, but it does wonders on gold in an ultrasonic cleaner. I also do not know how that solutiion would work on aluminum and since our engines are about 99% aluminum, I guess a test on some scrap cast aluminum would be in order before immersing a good engine in it. I don't presently have an ultrasonic cleaner or I would try it. By the way, that is a small amount of Dawn, a small amount of ammonia, and a whole lot of water.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Dzlstunter

Thanks for all the great info. There was nothing in the instructions about destroying gem stones, for example! (And my wife's birthstone is the opal.) Fortunately, I haven't tried anything other than some difficult to clean chains up to this point. It looks like detergent and water only to be safe. Thanks again, one and all. Dzl
Old 08-17-2007, 06:01 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ammonia will turn aluminum black
Old 08-17-2007, 06:31 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Well, darn. Guess that was another one of those highly developed bad ideas.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:07 PM
w8ye

No more ammonia than you were using would be OK if you sat there and watched the engine. The minute it gets clean, take it out and rinse it off.

If you leave it in overnight, the ammonia will most likely discolor your die cast aluminum parts.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:07 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either cleaning the exterior with Dawn Power Dissolver, or the entire engine in a crockpot with antifreeze looks like the best option now.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:12 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

At work we use an industrial ultrasonic cleaner with 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and de-ionized water for cleaning small metal parts. Not sure if that would be any good for cleaning engine parts. I think this solution is about the same as the 'rubbing alcohol' sold in drug stores.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I use cascade diswasher soap in mine, seems to do a pretty good job of cleaning up older engines. The dishwasher soap is a little more aggressive than regular hand wash dish soap.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Dzlstunter

Wouldn't Cascade come under the catagory of "caustic" substance? I've always thought it was nasty stuff. Dzl
Old 08-18-2007, 07:24 PM
w8ye

Cascade is very caustic. If parts are left in there too long they will first begin to turn white then eventually turn a gray color.

Why don't you mix up a little of whatever you are going to use and try some junk engine or some other die cast aluminum parts in the solution and see what happens.

Die cast aluminum is more prone to damage by chemicals because of the higher zinc content of the metal to get it to flow into all the die cavities. Pistons, rods, & prop drive washers are a lower content zinc.

At work we use vinegar (don't know why?) it the parts washers but the parts are mostly stainless type steels.

An acid (vinegar for example) will make aluminum shiny but I still would not trust my set up until I tried it.