Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How many people like Webra?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How many people like Webra?

JP,

Webra specifically state in their glow engines manual, that up to 15% nitro can be used in all their engines, unmodified.

Only more than 15% nitro requires shimming-up the head.

MVVS, the other leading European manufacturer still states 0% (up to 5% is good) in their up-to 15 cc (.91) glow engines.

The Webra seems more 'Americanized'...
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Walt and Sage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Hey Walt,

Were you in Fun Fly back when we had the Webra Speed .28 running on 50% nitro? Except for the occasional con rod failure, it was a blast!

Dr.1

NO, I missed that one !!!!

One of my favorite planes is the old Heckler with a 32 and mousse can..
I have met Loyd who deaigned the plane many times at BIG BIRDS hear..

I wish some one would offer a HUGE one like a 120 or 160 size

Walt..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23659.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	767059  
Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Jezmo

Good signature Walt.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 AM
djlyon

I have 3 120s. The newest perhaps 9 years old. I've tried 15% nitro in all of them. All run poorly and exhibit a lot of pain on 15% but love 5%.

Denis
Old 09-21-2007, 08:47 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

You could add me to this list...
Got 5 .50's, 3 Speed .61's (early, polished case from mid 70's, the gray case from the early 90's and a new one ) and a 1.20

I really like all of them...only "complaint" I might have is that it can be difficult to get parts, and on 2 occasions I had to wait almost 2 months to get parts.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM
RVman

I only have a .50 but it is an awesome engine, i'll buy more webra.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 PM
MrMotor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Webra Speed 35. I also don't seem to have a problem getting parts if needed.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:49 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: proptop

You could add me to this list...
Got 5 .50's, 3 Speed .61's (early, polished case from mid 70's, the gray case from the early 90's and a new one ) and a 1.20

I really like all of them...only "complaint" I might have is that it can be difficult to get parts, and on 2 occasions I had to wait almost 2 months to get parts.

--------------

IIRC, I'm down to just one Webra .50GT now.

I got tired of not being able to get parts too, so I unloaded my .61 (Dykes ring, c.a. 1981) and my .32 GT's & Hiper Speed .40 of 1992, or so.

I've ran several other fellows' Webras and loved all of them. While I love Webras, if I'm going to pay that much for an engine, I at least want parts to be just a single phone call away. I resent having to spend a week tracking down parts or support.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 PM
proptop

I was wrong about the wait for parts...last year about this time, I waited almost 3 months for a .50GT wrist pin...

My LHS is a dealer for Horizon, and I do all of my business w/ him...so I waited....(good thing I had a spare engine and I wasn't in a big hurry )
Old 09-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If anybody can get parts for Webras it's Paul at Paul's Model Supply in Fargo, ND. I needed a belt for my T4 15cc and a new piston, ring and sleeve for an old SilverLine .61 and got them very quickly. I believe he gets them from a distributor in Canada.

www.paulsmodelsupply.com
Old 09-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well dedo to most. i have a (3)32's, 50, 120, and i have had zero problems with all. the 32 will out preform most 40's and the 120 pulls my exta around like my superduty pulls stumps. the 50 is in my heilo and it puts so much its almost scary. but its a blast!! i would love to see more from webra like some new fs.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:48 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Well all this Webra talk prompted me to google Webra and see what might come up. I was kinda looking for a dealer in Canada (picking up on Hobbsy's post), but somewhere around results page 5 I found RogueRC.com in California, an e-tailer with no storefront. They show what seems to be the full Webra line in their on-line catalog, but knowing e-tail somewhat, I have to wonder how much they actually have in stock. Anyone have any experience with this operation?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
CharlieK

I think they are much better than the os motors. I have two 1.20's, both have run fine right out of the box. I also have 3 os "motors". two had to go back for major repairs right out of the box and the third is an unringed .60 which ran like crap for 25 0r 30 flights till it was broken in. The best of the os was the .51 that had the same performance as their unringed .60, must have been to much competion so they quit making it. If someone picks up the distributorship from horizon when they drop it I would be much more inclined to buy Webra than any other make I have been associated with.
Charliek
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Webras a good engines. I wish they produced better sizes than they have.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:06 AM
hydro182

Cliff Scwartz
Swift Electronics
735 Park Blvd S.
Winnipeg ,MB , R3P1B7
He has a full line of engines and parts,ships quickly.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 PM
RUNDUCK

If pretty engines were the best then I would buy them but Webra puts out the power day after day and I yet to find another engine { in the 50 size } that can keep up horsepower or rpm wise.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 PM
MrMotor

RUNDUCK are you running the 50GT or one of the two 55s?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 PM
RUNDUCK

I'm running a speed 50.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:12 AM
turbo.gst

You can put me on the list. Webra is my favorite engine brand. I own more Webra's than any other brand. I hope they can keep a US distributor, put Pauls Models can get parts in a reasonable timeframe and cost. I havent played with the 55 GT yet, but the 50 ABC( pre GT) is my favorite currently.

turbo
Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 AM
proptop

What's the difference between the .50 ABC (pre GT ) and the .50 GT (besides the fact that it's ABN )?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:57 AM
da Rock

[quote]
ORIGINAL: SuperViking
Im thinking of becoming a dealer for Webra in the U.S., Im going to carry the full line of engines and parts.
If you put enough of your investment into the parts, you should start making money from your startup. Half the posts in this thread mention having needed parts and been unable to get them. You do understand that parts availability is often a function of the mfg's response to the dealers purchase requests, not the dealers response to the customers. If you don't stock the parts yourself, you just may wind up looking like a chump.

I would also like to prove they are not hard to tune as some of the diehard O.S. guys lead people to think.
A noble motive, but not a really good reason to start a business.

People who always harp on the Japanese two stroke engine quality compared to Webras might as well be comparing KIAs to BMWs.
KIAs are made in Korea and don't have the quality reputation that Japanese products have nowadays thanks to Hondas. I've had three Hondas. The ONLY work done on all three was rear brake pads on one of them. A buddy of mine has had a number of BMWs and has spent more on repairs than I have on my 3 car purchases. I've always wanted a Webra. But wouldn't buy one just to have an engine that'll outlast an OS, because I've still got my original OSs. Bought them back in the 70s. The new ones show every indication of being just as good. Keep in mind that you will be competing with an excellent line of engines at affordable prices. And the price of replacement parts nowadays isn't a real sales issue. Most guys don't repair nowadays.

Anyhow I know I will get attacked on this poll but hopefully I can get some people to try them and run them the right way and I know they will be satisfied. Please give me some input on this................Ed Hitt
Keep in mind that for your business to survive, you will have to do just that, get people to try them. And if they aren't easy to "run them the right way" your business starts up with one more problem from the git go.

I've always admired the webra's I've seen. Always wanted to try one. Let us know if you start that business. If the prices are within reason compared to KIA prices..... uhhhhh, Honda prices........... I'll give you some business.

And btw, one very worthwhile marketing practice in todays environment would be to ADVERTISE ON RCU. No lie........... And the support forums are a good practice.

Don't start the business if you don't have adequate startup for stock and advertising. And don't do it to prove something about your favorite engine.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

JP,

Webra specifically state in their glow engines manual, that up to 15% nitro can be used in all their engines, unmodified.

Only more than 15% nitro requires shimming-up the head.

MVVS, the other leading European manufacturer still states 0% (up to 5% is good) in their up-to 15 cc (.91) glow engines.

The Webra seems more 'Americanized'...

-------------

Any engine can use infinite nitro if the compression is adjusted properly. You know this, I'm sure.

Remember Indy R/C's first efforts at selling the ASP engines in the USA? He warned about running too much nitro without installing the included head shim. He should have described what would happen when using too much nitro when over compressed. I don't remember if he did or not. Apparently, lots of folks didn't bother reading the instructions, or they didn't understand what they were reading.

The old Japanese engines, European engines and even the vaunted Webra engines used to run bad on more than 5% nitro. Especially in the summer. When buying some of these old engines today, one should keep this in mind.

I used to watch fellows fry-in their new Super Tigre G60 Blueheads (no piston baffle) at our flying field. Back then I couldn't afford to buy one for pattern use, but the geezers had them nestled in the noses of Aeromaster bipes or some scale model without proper ducting for cooling. The G60 engine was gaining a reputation for being "no good" because the owners did not read and follow the instructions.

I saw many a mangled G60 that was caused by an over nitroed/over heated/deadsticking set up.

Back then, World Engines was selling the G60 for $99.99. It was the primo pattern engine - for a few minutes. I was stuck with using the reasonably good (then) K&B .61 that sold for $46.50 from Hobby Barn. It just wasn't fair! I tell ya! I coulda been somebody. I coulda been a contenda! <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
da Rock

How many Webras are there right now?

Where would you go on the internet to see their specs?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM
MrMotor

[link]http://www.webra-austria.at/index1.php?lang=EN[/link] is Webra's web site.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 PM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

You can buy the .32 and .50 here:http://www.swanyshouse.com/engines/engines.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.