Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder Tiger Glow Engines

Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Pro-46 Engine Forum

Hi!
10x6 is too small for a .46 engine at sea level, at least for general sport flying, better use a 11x6 or 12x4 or even 12x5. For Q-500 typ pylonracing a 9x7 APC is preferred.
But the props seize isn't changing anything the way the engine is set.
Use an Enya 3 or OS 8 glow plug and you are home free. There are other glow plugs that work too but those two are the old stand byes.

You start the engine with the carb open aprx 2mm and then adjust the high speed needle for max (or near at least) rpm. Then you throttle down (throttle drum open 1,5-2mm) and check how the engine runs and how it behaves when you give full throttle.
If the engine instantly dies ...the low speed needle (idle needle) is set to lean (the engine gets too little fuel) and you must open the low speed needle slightly.

If the engine bludders and stops...the low speed needle is set too rich...and has to be opened some.
It's all about listening to how the engine reacts! It's very easy when you get the hang of it.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaka, he is breaking the engine in and it may call for a 10x6 prop. My insructions for my magnum 52xls called for a 10x6 for breakin. I agree that an 11x5 to 11x7 or a 12.25x3.75 is a good choice after break in. I am currently using a 11x7 on my RC Nobler getting 12,200 rpm and a 12.25x 3.75 getting over 11,000 on my Fun 51 profile. Both of which are the older thundertiger 46 pros with the chrome liner. I am at 4500 ft in elevation. I sometimes did run into tuning issues when my low speed needle got out of whack. It would idle good but would spool up quite slowly and the high end seemed good also. By readjusting the low speed needle and resetting the high speed the engine started working better again. This does not sound like the problem you are having but might not hurt to readjust to factory setting and start the tuning process over again.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I bought a new one because I read such good reviews on this engine and thought this one may just may be worn out.
I'm using the plug that came with the engine not sure what kind it is.
None of mine ever came with a plug???
Old 10-18-2012, 07:47 AM
wdelorme

I may be mistaken but I thought this plug came with the engine. I usually use #8's on all my other glow engines. So it could already be an 8. I'll have to look at it. But I really thought it came in the box. This engine I got last December. It stayed in the box until about 1 month ago. When I attempted to break it in on my engine stand, but ran into these difficulties. I am getting old so it could be that I put an eight in it and thought incorrectly. If that is the caseit was a brand new eight that I put in initially. Will try suggestions this Saturday. Thanks

Wil
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 AM
wdelorme

I finally got it to work right.  The low end was to rich or the # 8 glow plug did it.  Not sure which one, but it runs great now.   I broke her in with a tank of blended, and then flew her in my 60 size CG piper cub anniversary addition.  It worked great!  This engine has tons of power for this cub.  Thanks guys!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 AM
dfq2581

A Mac tuned pipe or the plain black muffler?