Views:	51
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1718838  
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

Ok, so the shaft thread is metric? 9.5 mm?

I couldn't find such a adapter on Tower Hobbies site, but than again I'm a bit dyslectic. Where did you get yours?

Thanks v.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

OMG awesome video. I'm running mine w 15% because that s what I had but once this gallon is gone will go down to 5%.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 PM
lopflyers

I found one at my LHS in Orlando, the package said it will fit a Magnun 91 and it did.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Thanks for the comments on the vid. I made it as documentation for myself as well as proof of the running quality of this engine. I will say the carb is a bit goofy but consistent in its performance. It has a bit of a sag in rmp just before WOT.

Looks like a 3/8 X24 tpi die will thread onto the shaft by fingers nicely, a little tight though. Is this the same thread as the O.S. radial (not the new one)?

The primary and jam nuts you see in the pic are what came with the engine as well as a prop washer which was omitted in the pics for clarity.

Below is an excerpt from the Conrad instruction manual regarding Maint. and cleaning.

2. Maintenance and Cleaning
• If you want to enjoy your engine as long as possible, you take some care before and during
the start.
Please observe all the safety instructions and maintenance tips in this operation
manual.
• Do not use a fuel mixture that is too lean. This can lead to an over-heating and a loss of
power.
This could also lead to damages in the engine caused by the nitromethane at high temperatures.
Always select a slightly richer mixture than for the maximum rpm.
Clean the outside of the engine with a clean, fluff-free cotton cloth.
• The interior must be cleaned depending on the frequency of use.
Use kerosene that is poured into the cylinder through the openings of the glow plugs, and
through the nipples at the bottom of the engine into the interior of the engine.
Turn the engine completely around a few times so that all the parts in its interior get cleaned.
(Close the openings of the glow plugs etc.)
Then let the kerosene flow out (collect it in cloths and dispose of them in an environmental
way) and pour some easily liquefiable synthetic oil through the openings of the glow plugs
into the cylinder and through the nipple at the bottom of the engine into the interior of the
engine. Turn the propeller a few times to lubricate all the parts.
• If the engine will not be use for a longer time (e.g. during the winter months,) it is sensible to
move the engine from time to time, to perform a cleaning and to pour some easily liquefiable
synthetic oil into the interior of the engine. The engine should be stored at room temperature
at a low humidity in air.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
lopflyers

ORIGINAL: vasek

Ok, so the shaft thread is metric? 9.5 mm?

I couldn't find such a adapter on Tower Hobbies site, but than again I'm a bit dyslectic. Where did you get yours?

Thanks v.
Im sorry, you are outside the US. Gravesrc.com is the website you should try

Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Carosel43

I would agree with AO's maintenance suggestions and would also add a small note about warming the engine up. Due to the larger size of the engine from a physical point of view i tend to run mine at about 3000rpm for a minute or so before trying to open up to full power. this is to getsome heat into it, clear any remaining oil from the lower cylinders and get the oil in the crankcase moving around. It also gives me time to make sureall 5 pots are alight.I usually let all of my engines idle for a little while to warm but i give my 400 and my saito radial longer. The saito in particular takes a while to warm up.

Regarding fuel tanks i used to fly on a 20oz and had no problems, if you want to be safe and have space go for 24 but i found 20 was fine for the way i flew (average 50% power most of the time).
Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 AM
vasek

deleted wrong info [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49069.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1719230  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Aluminum Overcast

Are you asking specs for the ASP/Magnum 400AR 5 cylinder four stroke? If you are my calipers and die both confirm 3/8X24.

Yup...got to warm it up before you go to high revs....Any engine likes that!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 AM
vasek

Thanks AO! You're correct, my bad. I will erase the post as not to confuse anyone
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Carosel43

If any of you guys are hoping to do as i am and put this engine in the esm sea fury then i have some bad news. While the cowl is more than long enough at 220mm (just under 8 3/4 inches) it slides back over the fuz quite a way leaving only 168mm in which to fit our 200mm long engine. as a result the firewall needs to move back by about 32mm or 1 1/4 inch. for this i would cut a hole through the existing firewall that the engine mount can go through, then make wooden rings (out of the thickest wood i can find) about 2 inches bigger o/d but the same i/d as the hole in the firewall. these will then be glued together until i end up with a very short tube onto which i glue my new firewall. I will then glue it to the rear face of the original firewall. The whole thing will be about 1/4 inch longer than it needs to be so i can adjust the spinner gap really closely with thin ali or plywood shims to move the engine forward. i will then glass the hell out of the front end and fill any remaining gaps between the sides of my tube and the fuz sides with expanding foam. this should work a treat as the engine will be a little further back, handy for c/g, and the fuel tank will then sit almost exactly over the c/g, it should be good.........everyone with me?

This is a link to the fury btw, you can download the instructions as well

http://www.esmmodel.com/inc/Enproduc...?productid=229
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Carosel43

I know its not got a radial in it, but i just thought i would share a picture of my latest creation.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

She's a beauty! What's under the bonnet?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:47 AM
jaav

Finnished my Glow driver. Just have to test it on the engine before flight. Its a varible pulsed system with its own driver for each plug to save damage if one plug goes short. also controlled via the TX, with a over ride the pulse controll for full glow mainly for starting.

My own design.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Carosel43

Cheers kmot, shes got the black Laser 240v as seen in my video/pics earlier in the thread. I just hope i have enough clever ducting to keep it cool as its very tight in there. im also not happy with the spinner and am looking for a slightly shorter alternative.

Also the span is 80'' and weighs about 19.5lbs all up.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome! Be sure to take some video of it's maiden flight. Don't put a music track on the video, let us just hear the engine please.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:53 PM
vasek

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Awesome! Be sure to take some video of it's maiden flight. Don't put a music track on the video, let us just hear the engine please.
^ what he said + don't let anyone start their 4C engine while in the air ....
Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Carosel43

i dont bother with music on my videos, also youtube take down all the videos with music because of stupid copyright laws. either way i will try and get a video of it flying as soonas i get it off the ground! alsoI cant remember if i posted this so i will post it again, this is my La7 with a camera on the tail. Laser 300v for power and 80'' span.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J03kFiBAcQw
Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 AM
jaav

Hi Guys. Fitted my glow driver to the 400...Didnt want to start...would only splutter once at the start of cranking.
After a lot of mucking around I found I had 1 cly with stuck open valves and one with a stuck inlet.. Engine been sitting to long. Grabed the old heat gun and heated the clys to free up the valves. Was supprised on how much valve lash there was as they were only reset just after the engine was run in.

Any way run her up with out the rocker covers fitted, Had the glow duty cycle up a fair bit to burn out the extra oil then wound it down for a slow pulse. The engine sounded sweet as it was idling like a full scale radial with its destinctive idle. Not good for flight but chance it will stall. Set the pulse then ran the engine for 2 tanks. Forgot how thirsty she is.

Will fly her next week as getting it started took too long and I have to re balance the plane..
Old 02-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Aluminum Overcast

Mine ran for 13 minute 27 seconds at WOT with a 16 0z tank.. Really not bad for a 64cc engine. Here's my video for proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK1jF...8&feature=plcp
Old 02-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Carosel43

I was on hobbyking the other day and they had mufflers for single cylinder asp 91's for 10 bucks each, so i bought 5 and am going to put them on the radial. it should make the engine a little less noisy and give a deeper sound. it should also improve its backfiring habbits, which is good because backfires sound good! when they arrive i will install them and give mine another run. i have been meaning to tweak the slow run for a while but ran out of fuel last time and it was too cold to try again! i will see if i can get a video of it
Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, I'm new here but I have read this entire thread. I'm interested in one of these engines but was wondering that if the following snip is true would I be better off spending $200 more to get the "Magnum" brand of this engine?

ORIGINAL: Carosel43

Im not sure if people are aware but SC,ASP and Magnum engines are all made by Sanye in china. The QC dept (such that it is) takes the best parts and builds magnums, the next best are ASP's and the worst are SC. At least this is the story i was told and it seems to hold water in my experience. i could be wrong however.

My SC 400 was built in 1996 and the spares i got for it are of much much better quality than the original parts. I think its fair to say that any new engine will be pretty good. Not upto saito/os etc but still a very servicable engine.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Carosel43

Hey, reading all of this lot must have taken a while! but from what i have been told that is the way it is. my suggestion would be to get the ASP version, i dont know what the cost is for the ASP in the us but on hobbyking its only 777 bucks, again not sure about the shipping costs. you can use the 200 you save on a glow driver and all the rest of it. I know most people here use 10% or more nitro, i noly use 5% but the engine seems to match up on performance just fine. in any case some radial action is a must in anyones life!
Old 02-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: SrTelemasterTyro

Hi all, I'm new here but I have read this entire thread. I'm interested in one of these engines but was wondering that if the following snip is true would I be better off spending $200 more to get the ''Magnum'' brand of this engine?
First post no less! Welcome bro.

I think we would all agree things in general have changed dramatically since 1996.

So I presume you fly a SrTele. I have one, just bought another one, and just bought a 12'er kit! could talk about them all day with ya!

Here is a special SrTele vid (off topic) just for you to welcome ya to the insanity!

http://vimeo.com/2290571
Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Not sure...Anyone out there with a lot of ACTUAL FLIGHT TIME on one of these? Lets hear from them.

It seems to me that people who are doing research like yourself, or have problems with this engine (like any other) seem to turn to the web for answers, forums especially. So, there are lots of comments on the negative side but I wonder out loud if the folks who are flying this regularly, gotten use to it's quirks, and overcome a few challenges, but are having good success with it ever visit or comment on a threads like this.

I'm finishing up tweaking a project from last year but once I'm finished My CMP Zero (it's the home for My ASP 400R) will be on the bench ready for this engine. Hopefully next flying season will see many flights on her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.