ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

First post no less! Welcome bro.

I think we would all agree things in general have changed dramatically since 1996.

So I presume you fly a SrTele. I have one, just bought another one, and just bought a 12'er kit! could talk about them all day with ya!

Here is a special SrTele vid (off topic) just for you to welcome ya to the insanity!

http://vimeo.com/2290571
Actually a Sr Telemaster was my "trainer" about 16 years ago. It had a Saito 150 for power. I had thoroughly researched my 1st R/C trainer & the Sr Telemaster seemed like a good choice since I wanted something thatI wouldn't out grow in a hurry. I had done a lot of C/L & balsa stick modeling in my youth so I knew how to balance the CG & a Saito 150 was the perfect weight to do it W/O lead weights in the nose.

I soloed W/O a buddy cord by having the instructor taking the plane "2 mistakes high" before handing me the Tx. (my hitec Prism 7X PCM radio was not compatible w/any of the buddy boxes @ the club) I modified that Telemaster after every mishap until I had it down to about 1* wing incedence W/little dihedral. I could knife edge it W/maximun R/A cross control & I finally stuffed it when I was horsing around doing a split "S" W/O enough altitude.

Put it straight in @ WOT.

I ended up getting away from the hobby several years ago & I am getting the bug to get back into it.

I have never owned a 2 stroke R/C engine.

I have a Saito FA.91 on glow, a Saito FA150 on C&M spark, another FA150 NIB, a Saito FA180 NIB & a Saito 300 TTDP (twin carb) also running C&M spark ignition. All are still burning glo fuel. I still have 2 HitecPrism 7X radios.

I love the 4stroke sound & want a radial to power a TF Giant F4U.

The ASP FS400 R5 sure has an awesomesound. I'm just a little put off about parts availability. Or lack thereof. If I do go W/an ASP FS400 I will probably convert it to spark too, but run E85/10% mix.

Here's my inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65euFBRN1ts
Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 PM
jaav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit like the old days. the full size engine had to be coaxed in to life.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:56 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

does anyone fly these on 3 or 4 blade prop? what size ?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Carosel43

I am using a 22x8 graupner G-sonic at the moment, these props run pretty fast and i am getting 7000 out of mine using my trusty 5% fuel.

Regarding the flight performance of the engine i flew mine for quite a while before its mechanical issues. I found the engine easy to start (by hand) anflight times were 10 mins or so on a 20oz tank and fuel in reserve after landing. at the time i was using a 20x10 classic master prop which was noisy so the obective was always to see how little power i could use to fly, which suprised me as the engine pulls very well even at low rpm so i was often at 1/3 power or less. The other fun thing was to unload it in a dive and jam the throttle shut, then enjoy the bangs and phutts with the whooshing of air through the prop, and mine had a little 'supercharger' whistle (i think it was the model) so it all sounded ace! anyway i only once lost a cylinder on takeoff but i didnt have to much trouble getting up and round and down again on 4 pots, i put the glow plug connecter back on as it fallen off and away we went.

Regarding the mechanical failure i dont know what happened. The bearings on mine died pretty instantly as they were the old cheap chineese type, so i replaced the lot and flew it for about 3 flights before it stopped with a bang. The cause was the bolt inthe crank falling out, and while i knew i tightened it up its possable it was not enough. this time i used blue threadlock and did it up FT so its staying in now for sure. Also the engine did try and warn me with metal particles in the oil, so it was at least in part my fault. it look at long time to get the parts, like almost a year, but that was at least in part due to the failure of my local model shop to order the parts in the first place, then there was a screw up with the importer...sigh. anyway, since the rebuild and the change to an OS carby (might not have to with the new ones) the engine is running well and there is no longer metal in my oil. the next time i run it i want to set the low end a little better, i am going to try and fix my glow driver today as i am currently to cheap to buy a new one!

Also, another shameless plug, but if you like 4 strokes, buy a laser :P
Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 AM
SrTelemaster150

I've been scouring youtube for the last few days for sound clips of various radials.

Of course the Moki is king of the hill W/the Seidel next followed very closely by the ASP 400.

Even though I'm a died in the wool Saito fan, the 3 cylinder radials just leave me cold & the Saito 325, while it sounds as good as the ASP 400,I'm afraid that 3.25 cu. in. will bejust a bit low on power for what I have in mind, a giant scale F4U W/air retracts, etc. I saw an awesme Saito 325 converted to 400 by the use of FA 80 cylinders, but even if I were to aquire a used rebuildable 325 on the cheap, I'm afraid that buying 5 new FA 80 piston/cylinder assemblies will run the cost too high. (maybe not)

The 770 Seidel is not that much more than the ASP 400 considering the extra 2 cylinders & the more scale like appearance, but converting 5 clinders to spark ignition will be bad enough, never mind 7 seperate ignition systems for the Seidel.

ORIGINAL: Aluminum Overcast

Thanks for the comments on the vid. I made it as documentation for myself as well as proof of the running quality of this engine. I will say the carb is a bit goofy but consistent in its performance. It has a bit of a sag in rmp just before WOT.
Your video/sound clip is one of the best as far as the audio, & the run qualities of your engine are awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK1jF...eature=related

but the spark ignition IMO improves the resuting run quality/sound even more. (not that the sound recording quality is any better)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65euFBRN1ts

Ever since I converted my 1st Saito FA 150 to spark many years ago, I've been sold on EI4 strokes. The added weight of the EI will be pretty much offset by less fuel load required as my fuel consumption W/the FA150 dropped by 60%.

Ihave contacted CDI to see if I can get the components to make my own 5 cylinder (5 seperate modules) unit .(1 shielding box containing 5 madules) I am also comunicating W/the guy in Aus that made the "petrol" conversion to get some input on his trigger ring & how he mounted 5 hall sensors.

If/when I go this way, I will run a 10% E-85/oil mix to be able to utilize the existing (glo fuel) carb & keep more HP potential over gasoline.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Carosel, what OS carb and with which bearings did you replace in your ASP?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Carosel43

The os carb i used was from an old os91 surpass, if you go back a few pages on the thread there are photos and details as we all had a chat about it. In any case my sc carb was very very poor, the asp ones i am sure are better. regarding the bearings i just took the codes and ordered SKF replacements.

Also SrTT i have a saito 450r3 and its power output is not much more than the asp 400, my 450 takes a 22x8 to 6800 and its really not a very powerful motor. Also it chews fuel like its going out of fashion. The saito 325 is also pretty low on power, the asp 400 thrashes it totally.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the info
Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Carosel43

Also SrTT i have a saito 450r3 and its power output is not much more than the asp 400, my 450 takes a 22x8 to 6800 and its really not a very powerful motor. Also it chews fuel like its going out of fashion. The saito 325 is also pretty low on power, the asp 400 thrashes it totally.
I have listened to so many R/C radials on YT the last few days & I have come to the conclusion that, given the higher RPM levels compared to full scale radials, the 5 cylinder versions are the most “scale” sounding.
The best, as far as I’m concerned are the ASP FS400AR & the Saito 325 R5D. The Saito is too small, (in displacement) but I have a lead on a rebuildable block & I am researching the feasibility of increasing displacement to either 4.36 or 5.21 cu in.
For now the ASP will be the most logical choice W/the Saito project being just a theory for now.
This clip, W/the ASP FS400AR short stacks exiting the cowl in the scale locations sounds better bar none that ANY that I have heard so far.
One thing I like about the ASP over the Saito, aside from the increased power output, is the needle bearings on the main crank pin. Given that feature I don’t see were a 20:1 fuel/oil mix W/E85 won’t be perfectly fine for good engine life when spark ignition is employed. That would decrease the mess that a scale exhaust location on an F4U using the short stacks. (perhaps modified a bit)
Has anyone here actually flown the ASP FS400 W/short stacks? Being able to send some pressure to the tank would be needed for dependable fuel delivery I would think.
Some way to do that would be needed as I am adamant about the short stacks. Perhaps using 2 breather ports on the case W/check valves like the Saito 300 TTDP uses?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Carosel43

The chap in that video has a big old 3 blade prop thats brought the rpm down (his performance suffers accordinglyfrom the look of it), thats partly why it sounds so nice. When i was flying mine it would unload to around 8000 and it just howled. it sounded great, but not scale for a corsair etc. i found that my 3cyl saito 450 sounds better as they are larger pots going thump thump rather than small ones going pop pop. that said, if you make an exhaust thats larger i/d than the stubs, the exhaust gases will slow down and make more of the thump than a pop. im going to try it if i use this engine in the sea fury.

Also when i flew mine i had the tank dead in line with the carb and the tank breather facing forwads into the slipstream to pressure the tank. I had no exhaust pressure and just those little stubs that come with the engine. the engine ran fine and pulled through loopsetc with no problems. the best bet for perfect fuel supply is a perry pump, but im to cheap to buy one, especially as i dont think it needs it.

I hope to have my flying test bench airworthy in the next month so i can give the engine some air time before i choose weather or not to risk the seafury
Old 02-13-2012, 10:25 AM
SrTelemaster150

The chap in that video has a big old 3 blade prop thats brought the rpm down (his performance suffers accordinglyfrom the look of it), thats partly why it sounds so nice. When i was flying mine it would unload to around 8000 and it just howled. it sounded great, but not scale for a corsair etc. i found that my 3cyl saito 450 sounds better as they are larger pots going thump thump rather than small ones going pop pop. that said, if you make an exhaust thats larger i/d than the stubs, the exhaust gases will slow down and make more of the thump than a pop. im going to try it if i use this engine in the sea fury.
I am looking for "scale" flight performance & that clip looked like the Zero did OK. Is it going to hurt the engine (overheat) to load it W/a prop that keeps RPM down as long as it's not overdone? I think if I brazed larger ID copper stacks (same IDas the OEM stack OD) onthe stubs it might do the trick.

Also when i flew mine i had the tank dead in line with the carb and the tank breather facing forwads into the slipstream to pressure the tank. I had no exhaust pressure and just those little stubs that come with the engine. the engine ran fine and pulled through loopsetc with no problems. the best bet for perfect fuel supply is a perry pump, but im to cheap to buy one, especially as i dont think it needs it.

Irun a Perry Pump on myEI firedFA150. I mounted the tank directly over the CG on my PT-19 so the CG would remain constant as the fuel load decreased. I didn't thinka Perry would work on a radial, but now that I understand the firing order & how the inner workings of the radial functions, it would seem that there would be plenty of "oscilation" to work the pump.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a playlist on Youtube for the FS400 radials. 88 videos so far:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz
Old 02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
vasek

Hey Kmot,

with all those vids, can you tell me what 3 blade and 4 blade props to use with this beast ?

The one vid with the Zero says 20 inch but fails to mention the pitch.

Thanks for the help,
Vasek
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Carosel43

those perry pumps are pretty sensative to vibration, i am sure there will be enough even from the radial. As for the rpm i dont think i would want to see it below 6500. I loaded mine up with a menz 22x8 and it dropped to 6200 and didnt sound best pleased. when i get my glow driver working and the new exhausts arrive i will do a series of runs on different props and post the results. some will be duplicates from my other posts but it will give an idea of the performace across a range of props. i plan to try:

Classic master 20x8 and 20x10
Menz S 20x8, 20x10, 22x8
graupner G sonic 22x8

i may find a few others as well. all the props will be 2 blades

Also i was going to use exhaust tubing around 11mm i/d as we have that available as a spare at work. i can juts buy a few feet and silver solder until my hearts content, for now though i will use the mufflers from hobby king
Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
SrTelemaster150

Does anyone know what the FS400 R5spec HP is or perhaps a good estimate?

From the way that sucker pulls 80"+Stearmans into the air, I would guess it's a bit of a"overachiever".
Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM
vasek

I've seen 7.4 HP on one of the webpages specs
Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Carosel43

hp of the 400 radial is 4.4 @ 8000rpm
Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
SrTelemaster150

hp of the 400 radial is 4.4 @ 8000rpm

That seems like it's pretty conservative to me. If the Saito 450 R3 is rated @ 5.5 & barely out pulls the FS400R5 then that's a prettybig gap for 2 seemingly closely matched powerplants.

I'm still amazed @ how it pulls those BIG biplanes into the air!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
vasek

oops, I guess I saw 4.7 HP not 7.4.... I'm a little dyslectic, sorry about that
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: vasek

oops, I guess I saw 4.7 HP not 7.4.... I'm a little dyslectic, sorry about that

I would have guessed about 5HP +- given the way it yanks those big ol' airframes off the ground!

Thats about on a par W/my Saito 300 TTDP that is rated @ 4.8HP.

I would have thought the Saito 450 R3 would have been in the neighborhood of 7HP though. After all, it's 1/2 agin what my 300 TTDP is as far as displacement.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Carosel43

My saito 450 gives 4.5hp @ 7500rpm, which is why i am so dissapointed with it. that 7500rpm was on a classic master 20x10 and i know that AO's 400 is giving the same performance. sure he is using 10% nitro against my 5% but even so. the saito 450 is not a great performer, and i know guys running 20% nitro in them and not gettin alot more rpm than i am. in fairness however it dose need more running, but i am dissapointed with the top end performance of the saito. i will however be doing some more tests with it when the weather warms up...in fact i may try it at the same time as the 400
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Carosel43

tyro, what revs you getting on your saito 300 twin? and what prop/fuel

Also things get slightly confused here with hp figures as hp is not whats important. take the saito and asp radials, if i run the asp on a 20x8 menz @ about 7300rpm thats 24lbs thrust, 55mph speed and 3.48 hp @ the prop. if i do the saito 450 on a 22x8 menz @ 6900rpm thats 31lbs, 52mph and 4.1hp @ the prop.

If we then give the ASP that same 22x8 menz it gives me about 6200rpm, which is 25lbs thrust, 3.1hp and 46mph.

So, hp is a product of RPM but it dosent get you very far, as you can see the saito destroys the asp on the 22x8 as the 400 has run out of torque, and the static thrust figure is much higher than the 400 on any prop. Also a tiny prop doing loads of rpm is not as efficient at turning hp into useful thrust. thats why small props @ high rpmare noisy, that noise is your hp being wasted.

This is why Laser dont give hp figures, they are very misleading.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
SrTelemaster150

tyro, what revs you getting on your saito 300 twin? and what prop/fuel

I never got to run it @ WOT. I was quoting Saito's spec. When I was running it in I had it mounted in a vise attatched to my steel roll around chest full of pipe fitting tools. Swinging a 24/8 on 15% Cool Power, it would pull the 1/4 ton+ wagon around (steel wheels on a polished concrete floor) way before I could get to prop stall RPM.

I opted for the dual carbs & glad I did. I saw guys having problems getting balanced idle W/the single carb 300s so, being an old limey bike mechanic from way back, I was not intimidated by the dual carbs. After setting up the pump bleed I was able to get it to idle reliably @ 1100 rpm. I have a C&M EI on it too. Throttle response was insane. I think the spark ignition help that a lot.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Dad_Roman

Yea thats a beast

I have a 270.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 PM
SrTelemaster150

The chap in that video has a big old 3 blade prop thats brought the rpm down (his performance suffers accordinglyfrom the look of it), thats partly why it sounds so nice.

ORIGINAL: vasek

Hey Kmot,

with all those vids, can you tell me what 3 blade and 4 blade props to use with this beast ?

The one vid with the Zero says 20 inch but fails to mention the pitch.

Thanks for the help,
Vasek

I would like to know where to get (inexpensive) 20" 3 blade propellers. The heavier the better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.