Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 31 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

quick question, when your engines are hot, ie just after you stop it how is the compression? i ask because my static compression on 3 of the 5 pots is pretty good, but when hot they are all pretty useless.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's odd. It normally would be just the opposite.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well i expect the copression to drop when the engine is hot as clearances can get larger and any oil inthere is expelled. on the laser for example the compression lowers when warm when compared to cold, but its still there. on the radial it just kinda wafts away. i have had this experience with most asp engines in the past but they always seem to run ok

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If an engine lost compression when at normal operating temperature, we would probably not have used IC engines for the last 110 years or so.

No, the compression should increase on a warm engine.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let me restate my position.

Perhaps the compression will be higher on a cold versus warm engine. However, in my formal training as an aircraft engine mechanic we were taught to always measure engine compression on an engine at full operating temperature.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2065-12A/$FILE/Chap%2010_pg%20458-500.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr50044.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	1772095  
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Logical if anything, for a cold engine the friction could be a bit higher, thus the impression of higher compression ? just a thought
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yea exactly, also if there is oil in the cylinders the static compression when cold wil be higher. As i say, on my laser/os/saito engines there is a healthy bump when they are warm, on the 400 radial there is nothing really

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kmot, very random question, but what is the serial number on the backplate of your engine? The reason i ask is because the serial includes the date of manufacture and there is a 2002 engine on ebay at the moment and im very tempted....either that or a new one from hobby king as the price is very good at the moment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hmmm, your serial config is different. what year did you buy the engine? nat that it matters much as the one on ebay has been bid to a silly price

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought it in 1996.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You have my curiosity up. Mine is sn 10041, which I bought from HobbyPartz about 18 months ago. Getting close to run it for the first time. Too many projects and not enough time!

Name:	Fd91139.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	1776310  
    Ken
    w3kmp
    SW PA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1996?!! mine is from 96 and its a heap of sh1t compared to yours. the conrods on mine are (were) cast for example and the finish was very poor. with your SN i was expecting you to say you bought it in 2005.

As for yours Ken i would expect a manufacture date of 2010, which sounds about right given how long you had it. i am getting this from the SN. Mine reads 19961234 (i dont remember the numbers so 1234 is an example) and gives 1996 as mfr date and 1234 as the engine SN. Kmots engine is 050524 and i assumed they left off the 20, that would make it 2005 0524. Ken yours would be 2010 041. The problem is we all seem to have different SN configurations so i could just be making this up as i go along!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the s/n info. I really like radial aircraft engines. My first A&P Mech. job was with United Airlines in 1964 at ORD. They still were flying DC-6B's, P&W R2800's. The Weather channel has a series, Ice Pilots, flying C46, C47 DC-4, and Lockheed Electra's.

I am using Well Nuts (10-32) for mounting the FS400R. http://www.hansonrivet.com/w71.htm Has anyone else used theses for engine mounts? I have used them on a OS 160FX with good results. At first, you would think that they would pull out of the fire wall, but when properly installed the tensile strength is surprising. They do seem to dampen the vibration on the OS 160FX.

Ken
    w3kmp
    SW PA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken, I used to work for Aero-Engines, Inc. I built R-985's and R-1340's. I also ran the test cell for awhile. I always loved the radial engines too. It was such a joy when they no longer were a mystery.

Re: The serial numbers. Are we all talking about "ASP" branded engines? Because they are made by Sanye, and they also make the FS400 branded with Magnum, PH (Planet Hobby), and SC (Super Custom). Which means the different branded engines may have been built to a different price point demanded by the distributor.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Magnum, ASP, SC are all made by sanye. Magnum are the best quality with SC the lowest. But, compared to my ancient thing i would suggest that anything would be better quality! anyway, the SN confusion continues.

But regarding full size engines, anything large with lots of cylinders is awesome. personally Merlins, Allison 1710 and bristol centaurus are my faves. Oh, and the BMW 801..that thing sounds mighty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoEs2VtVYI

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A knew shipment of ASP 400 engines just arrived at hobby king

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dang..i might have to buy one...must resist.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well, i resisted buying a new one....but only by buying an esm 109...oops. anyway, i ran up mine today and its definately not happy for some reason. i used to get about 7200 rpm on the classic master 20x10. that was before the conrods got eaten by the bolt in the crankcase. since then the best i can coax out of it is about 6800. this is slightly annoying but not the end of the world. my real problem is the idle performance. below 2000rpm the engine is not reliable...well, 1800 mayb, but eventually it runs down and down and stops. 1800 is not bad, but 1500 would be better and there is nothing more to come from tuning. but thats not my main issue, my main problem is engine takes a while to slow down to 1800 after being at high power. it can take 30 seconds with the throttle at idle to bring the rpm from about 3000 to the 1800 where it will stay. its strange as ic ant work out why it should do this. when i get a spare moment im going to redo the valve clearances and they are huge again. i wish they would stay set!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you cut the throttle and the engine continues to run fast I would suspect an air leak. The leaked air is allowing the unburned fuel in the crankcase to combust.

Same goes for loss of power. I would still suspect an air leak, leaning out the mixture at WOT.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

as the whole thing leaks like a seive then its a logical theory. nothing is sealed on it and the compression goes very soft when hot. also when opening up for the first time after starting the rpm comes upto 7200 and then falls away as the engine heats up. I will make a video at some point. Either way its flying my model ok so i might just leave it alone and see what happens after a gallon of fuel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom and All,

I got to fly in a de Havilland DHC-3 Otter, which had a R-1340. I was in the Army, Camp Century Greenland in 1960. I got to fly about 90 miles from Camp TUTO (about 30 miles from TULE AF Base) to Camp Century in a H-34, which had a R-1820. The Otter was a little overloaded, took about a mile on skies to finally become airborn. The H-34 is the only helicopter that I have flown in, lot's of vibration,

I found this YouTube video a few nights ago. Good quality WW1 flim that I had never seen before. That's when a radial was really a radial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7jc04Sp5ew

Name:	Ay75492.jpg 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	1777936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34562.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	1777937  
    Ken
    w3kmp
    SW PA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like the video, and back in those days radials were rotarys! funny that his landing reminds me of a sunday at my club..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got news of a new model from ESM comming out next spring. This time its an 80'' span A6M Zero which should be suitable for the 400 radial. As soon as i get details of the cowl size i will post here. They are also doing an 80'' Mig3 which i like the sound of as well. Not gonna put a radial in that though!

In other news my ESM seafury has been pushed back again to october. If it dosent arrive in october then im gonna cancel it as i cant be bothered to wait any longer. Also i have pretty much decided not to put the radial in it due to the oily mess it will make over the whole model! I am going to buy a collector ring though...that may change my mind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought 80" span Zero's were already on the market??
    ~Tom~

Page 31 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast