Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 51 of 118 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2936

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

I had trouble with the ASP carb getting blocked very easily, i never did work out what with. You could try winding the slow run needle all the way in (count the turns) then back out again all the way. Blast the carb through by hooking up your electric fuel pump to the inlet nipple and then reset the slow run.

Also thinking about fuel tubing mine could be 3/32. All i know is its standard stuff, nothing large bore about it. The only difference is a thicker wall to prevent kinks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom,

I am using a microsens Glow (they are "Made in Austria" btw ) First thing I would do is pull one of the Plugs from a cylinder and check the glow intensity. That simple test will rule out the glow driver as a problem.

I am using standard tubing with 3mm inner diameter.

A blocked spraybar is easily cleaned with unwaxed mint flavoured dental floss. Spearmint flavour works too I have been told.

Rev

If at first you don\'t succeed, skydiving isn\'t for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Jon, spot on. ''A'' is for aircraft, what else?
    I thought it stood for "Ambitious"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Not only is your plane awesome as well as the engine sound, the Alps in the background are awe inspiring in their own right.
    Thanks! Yes, flying here is a real gift. Check out some more of my videos here Click me softly. Especially the ones with the onboard cam in the glider behind the tug show this spectacular piece of the earth very well.

I have lived all over the place. Germany, UK, South Africa, and visited many many counties but every time I come home I know why people fly thousands of miles just to visit the valley called "Inntal" I live in...

Rev

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

perhaps one day i will drive over there!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you are welcome anytime! theres a lot of brits scuffling around in the old town where I work and seem to be enjoying it

Either bring something with an engine or you can have one of my planes to do some "high altitude alpine flying"

Rev

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i will bring something with many cylinders! although i imagine gliding is very enjoyable up there

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had already tested my Microsens glow driver while setting up the engine on the test stand. I no longer suspect it.

You know how it is though when something is not going right. You suspect 'everything!'

I am pretty sure it is a fuel delivery problem. I have had fuel delivery issues before with this setup.

I was taking video, btw. Reviewing the video, at one of the times I used my Sullivan squeeze bulb to pressurize the tank and force fuel to the carb I only saw a couple of drops fall out, when normally it would be a stream. So I am pretty sure now it is a fuel delivery issue. The only time the engine sputtered and ran for a couple of seconds is every time right after I had pressurized the tank.

But yesterday was my only window of opportunity to run the engine. For the next couple of days I have to keep the backyard area clean and uncluttered for the wife's functions. And then by Wednesday there is threat of rain showers so it may be a few days until I can have a go at it again. But at least I will have plenty of time to clean out the carby!
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Carosel43

i will bring something with many cylinders! although i imagine gliding is very enjoyable up there
    You do that but give me a couple of days notice

But honestly, maybe a nice vacation in Austria in 2013?

@Tom: That carb is about $17 @ hobby king. pays off to have a spare one lying around. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Carb_Assy.html I have three

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wasn't there some talk at one time of upgrading the carby to an OS or a Saito Carb? I recall seeing that there was some milling or machining or overboring required but I don't recall ever seeing if there was any benefit from a different carb setup.

Has there been an issue, however minor, with the carb?

Rev, What is the necessity or rationale of having three carbs for the same motor? Not picking or trying to be obnoxious, just curious

I've had an OS 120 and a Saito 100 for decades and gallons upon gallons of fuel through them and never had to do more than clear a bit of unfiltered debris from either of them due to operator incompetence(oops!![&:]).
    "The American taxpayer has always been politicaly deceived. It's their Birthright!"
    Lord Mountjoy, 'The Mouse on the Moon'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: frets24

Wasn't there some talk at one time of upgrading the carby to an OS or a Saito Carb? I recall seeing that there was some milling or machining or overboring required but I don't recall ever seeing if there was any benefit from a different carb setup.

Has there been an issue, however minor, with the carb?

Rev, What is the necessity or rationale of having three carbs for the same motor? Not picking or trying to be obnoxious, just curious

I've had an OS 120 and a Saito 100 for decades and gallons upon gallons of fuel through them and never had to do more than clear a bit of unfiltered debris from either of them due to operator incompetence(oops!![&:]).
    frets,

theres a couple of reasons.

First of all for me, I, like tom, have limited time with two kids, a busy job and a house to take care of. If I want to go flying, I do not want to spend hours getting the engine running. So on my last hobby king order I threw threee of these carbs (and some other 400 spares) in the basket.

Secondly, lets be honest, the carb is not what you would call a swiss watch. For example the throttle lever is pressed on and stamped. It will develope serious play after some running hours. The low speed needle is held in and fixed in position by an O-ring. This ring will lose tention at some stage and the needle will start to wander off.

finally if this engine developes a fault like in toms case I want to have a spare carb for diagnosis. swap the carb and if the engine still is not running, its not the carb

now, I think it would be enough to have one on spare, I am a kid of the eighties and we were tought to always have at least three sets of batteries for the flashlight in the basement...

changing the carb to an os will give you a better quality carb. it did not, however, give me more rpm,

rev

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Rev.

Points well taken and understood.

This engine is new to me and I haven't spent much time with it yet. Other projects higher in the que right now.

Like you; I've got kids at home home, busy job(self employed and no qualified candidates to be found to spread the load[X(]) and limited time so I well understand the diagnosis aspect and benefit of a spare carb now that you bring it up

For a $17 carb it doesn't sound bad...just "disposable". Not terrible value either, even if you figure on trashing it and replacing after 100 flights. Thats only 17 cents per flight
    "The American taxpayer has always been politicaly deceived. It's their Birthright!"
    Lord Mountjoy, 'The Mouse on the Moon'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am the only one using an os carb (i think)as my old SC carb was so bad the engine just didnt work. Tuning was just impossible and the whole thing was hopeless. As a result i gained more consistant running, better performance and reliability as well as the thing acutally working! but my old sc carb was totally crap!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am going to pull down the engine today and remove the carb and give it a checkup.

In defense of this carb, though, last time the engine was set up it ran fine and I made several videos.

It is most likely a piece of dirt in there, and it is my fault for not having properly prepared for running again by double checking and cleaning the fuel tank, fuel lines, and in particular the carb.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just finished the carb. There was a bit of leftover castrol crud inside of it. It's spotless now, and I also cleaned the fuel tank out with denatured alcohol, and installed all new lines, clunk, and stopper rubber. I thought I had another large size tank but I only have smaller tanks meant for standard size airplanes and I did not feel like a trip to the LHS. I am also using more of the medium fuel line I have a roll of since the engine ran just fine on it before.

Rain has moved back a day so I should be able to run it tomorrow.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a quick note to say I got my engine running this morning.

Need to set the carb for idle though, as it's not working well.

New manifold, new fuel, different weather conditions. It will get sorted.

Strangley, it seems my Microsens detected a low battery after about 10 minutes of running. This is an 8000 mAh 1S LiPo. Might be rubbish though, as it is rather old.

I can say right now, though, that there is a lot less oil on the test stand.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have finished running my engine. Was good to listen to it again.

I discovered I was in "start mode" on the glow driver the whole time. A set up problem with my test stand throttle servo. So yeah, it drained the battery to the low voltage signal.

It seems weird to run fuel that has practically no color, due to only 7% oil. But it ran great, and the engine seemed perfectly happy with it. No oil smoke in the backyard either.

I will have a full report, and video, in a couple of days, describing the Rogeau intake manifold.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds good tom, i look forward to the video

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom, did you mix your own fuel?

Bob
    Bob
    Fleet Brotherhood #1, Club Saito #800

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes Bob I did. [8D]

I had thought about how I should do it, but decided to poll the forums and fortunately it was pointed out to me that I was wrong in my assumptions. [&:]

Once I was straight on what to do it was easy. For my run, I mixed 16 oz of Powermaster 15% nitro, 18% oil fuel with 25 oz of pure methanol. This gave me a blend of about 6% nitro and 7% oil.

Video is finished. Just need to get it uploaded, and figure out the best way to get the article I wrote in PDF format, converted for forum use.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a teaser clip.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2gJcMOI4Ng[/youtube]
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom, brilliant. Like the Videoeffect too. Its [8D]

I am sure you know that you could tweak the sound of that radial immensly by putting a larger exhaust pipe on that ring. I'd use a 40mm pressed oval so it will fit the ring. The exhaust fumes will be slowed down immensly and sound awesome!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am quite happy with the sound i get from my 11mm i/d pipes. But they are quite long so i guess that helps. When my glw driver shows up i will do another video and hopefully fly the thing! I know we are off topic, but rev did you give the 450 saito any more love? the other thread has ground to a hault. I need an airframe to fly mine in, im stuck until then

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put all my time into finishing and flying the Stearman. Now I am repairing my ESM D9 so I can fly it once more before the snow comes.

The Saito is on the test stand and I want to do some tests with different exhausts.

My dream of putting it into the SiSt Focke Wulf died silently last weekend. I have been worrying so much about the diameter I completely forgot about looking at the lengt. It ist 35mm too long [&:]. I would have to do a lot of reworking on the Firewall and then I would not have enough space for the exhaust. I might swap it for a good new UMS 7-77.

Rev

Page 51 of 118 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast