Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 59 of 119 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2964

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

I have decided to tear my engine down again and do a complete inspection and parts replacement as necessary, before I mount it to the model airplane and fly it.

I have a sneaky suspicion that my cam's were not hardened properly. I also have a sneaky suspicion that Sanye did some rolling changes during production phases and may have changed the cam profile as well as changed the master rod needle bearing size.

My engine was manufactured in 1996.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mine is a 96 model and its a heap of....yea, from the photos yours is a much higher spec than mine, but then yours is asp not sc. right now i am quite happy with mine, its run just fine the last few flights so i am going to just leave it alone until it breaks again! the weather this weekend looks like it might be good, i may give it a final outing for the year. The problem is the mud getting all in the wheel spats. i will see how i feel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks to Reverend77 for the tip on the German fleabay seller who hawks quality beraings for cheap pricies.

I went there and just finished placing my order. All SKF and FAG bearings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47828.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	1822239  
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom,

glad to have been of help.

That seller is very reliable. I have bought quite some bearings from her in the past six months. Lots of engines to overhaul

Rev
    If at first you don\'t succeed, skydiving isn\'t for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok guys, quick question about oil. I know its come up before but what oil content is everyone running? i am using 17% and thats too much. I know kmot has done a mod and is running 7% but i was wondering if anyone has gone lower.

The reason i ask is because, following an experiment, i have had one of my single cylinder engines running for over an hour on 2.5% oil when the mfr's recommendation is 15%.

As the 400 has very few bushings and has 5 cylinders feeding the one crankcase i wonder how low we can go before something breaks. Also, what oil ratio was that guy running in his petrol?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I would say "feeding the crankcase" is a bit optimistic if you look at the design of the intake manifold. The crankcase gets its oil only from cylinder blow-by, correct?

I used Powermaster fuel normally and it 18% oil package.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

all model 4 strokes (apart from ys perhaps) get lube via blow by. at least to some degree

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agreed. And it should be sufficient for the engine, if your fuel has enough oil in it. It certainly isn't a flood of oil though, I do not think. Hence my comment.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

its a flood on many of my engines. The 400 pours oil everywhere, my enya 120 is bad and most of my large lasers. Thing is all of the oil on the laser is from the crankcase, the exhaust is clean and the small engines are clean as well. The difference is the larger engines have a oil ring to pump oil into the crankcase which is very effective. But with the 400 i am pretty sure the oil content could be dropped as low as 2% depending on your oil type. i would like to know what oil content the people running gas are using as they are likley to be using alot less oil than the guys on glow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While the wife was out at a movie with the kids I propped up the fuselage and engine together to get an idea of how it will look.

Having the radial engine crank in approx. the same location that a flat Continental A-65 (or single cylinder model engine) makes the radial look a little to high. But then having the engine 'centered' approximately, makes the crank look to low.

I think there is a happy medium somewhere in the middle.

In any case, I think it going to look pretty cool when it's all mounted and assembled. I am really looking forward to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30784.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	1823128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mi21923.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	1823129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Io28711.jpg 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	1823130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sm28521.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	1823131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cn79974.jpg 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	1823132  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ev23501.jpg 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	1823133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vx45407.jpg 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	1823134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Po49362.jpg 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	1823135  
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great Tom! Those Fly Babies are great looking little planes.
    V.
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On my Pacer the engine is mounted so that it looked about right. i am pretty sure the crank c/l is lower than when it had the 45cc petrol in it. I would just get it so it looks good and be done with it.

One thing is for sure though, your shiny silver engine is set off a treat by the dark blue!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys.

I would just get it so it looks good and be done with it.
    Sage advice. An old aircraft designer's rule of thumb: "if it looks right, it will fly right."
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom, absolutely brilliant. I LOVE the look of that Radial in front of that blue Flybaby!!!

Concerning the Thrustline. I do not think it mch of a problem, just bear in mind, that mounting the engine outlide of the centerline will change the aot a little bit so if its a considerable amount you will have to trim. Having the engine below the centerline will give the Elevator more lift, obove centerline will give the opposite. I had that on a 109 with a bad cowl once. Put the engine in to fit the cowl but was outside of the centerline by 20mm and needed downtrim. after removing the cowl and reinstalling the engine I was able to trim her out straight

My 2c.

Rev

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok, its not really a secret anymore, that jaav's radial got rid of the "al" and turned from australian to austrian.

I have started work on it by sorting through the parts to see what I have to work with. Now before anyone shouts "AAaaaaw, he got a cheap engine!": He didnt. After everything is fixed I will be exactemente 200 Euros below buying a new one. You can buy cheaper used radials here so I am really only doing this for the heck of it.

1. I have no Idea what that stuff was you soaked that engine in, Jim, but please keep it in Australia. WOW... it really ate up the steel. If you poured, say, a glass of it in your back yard, I guess it would turn up in my garden after a couple of weeks of eating its way through the earths core... [X(]

So this is the stuff thats leaving the house in a small recycling bag. nota bene: most of it isnt even magnetic anymore!! [X(] [X(] [&:]

notice, even the piston rings are just a lot of cratered steel...

unfortuneatly my son somehow managed to delete all my pre-cleaning pics. Everything that was aluminium was black. noch blackish, BLACK as piece of tarmac in a new moon night. It looks like that stuff kept on corroding all the way from australia. It took me three hours of cleaning with 3M cleaning mesh to get the cylinderheads and rocker covers to look like aluminium again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh, and an insider for Jim: I have developed a gut deep hatred towards orange packing tape
    But thanks for the excellent packing job!!!

Anyway, I then went on with sorting all the parts and putting the stuff together in "build groups" to check for missing pieces and packing them in small bags.

Darn, theres one cam follower missing. I will have to hope justengines has them in stock (they are the same part number as in the ft-160 so I hope they do...)

The big Parts are all in good condition but the aluminium will not get much cleaner than this. I am thinking about going down Toms lane and polishing the engine (if it runs) or do some fancy paint job.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The cylinders look great and in real life they are mirror smooth. I do not think this engine has seen much abuse. I also think, the runtime of this radial was not measured in hours but in minutes.
    The pistons are in the same condition. Almost new. New rings have been ordered at UH. In stock and cheap

...and look what Daddy got from the candy store [8D] 360 Euros later the first parts have arrived.

Still missing:

1. Cam Gear (because I was too stupid to get the Part Number right ) coming from Germany + EUR 50.-
    2. Bearings coming from Germany + EUR 30.-
    3. F-Plugs coming from Hong Kong + EUR 30.-
    4. Piston Rings coming from HK + EUR 18.-
    5. Cam follower (because either Rev lost one or its still in Australia) Ordered from JE. + EUR 11.-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spent a lovely evening trying to get those races out of the case... It was like a stephen king movie... the longer it runs, the bigger the horror gets.

Well in the end it was brute force an it worked wothout too much damage to the crank case.

Spent the next evening with my favorite rc modeling task ever. Putting the valves in cylinder heads. AAAAAAAAAAAARGHL... I hate doing this on a single. On the 400 theres TEN OF 'EM!!![:@][:@][:@][:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Put the covers on the heads to have those screws out of the way, sorted the cylinder head screws and assembled what I could of the pistons and used a lot of oil everywhere

repacked everything and am awaiting parts for the rest of the rebuild.

My wife called this box "a Puzzle for big boys"...

To be continued...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Rev, stop moaning about putting valves in heads! imagine how i feel after a batch of V twins having said that, ours are easier than the ones on the 400!

Either way its looking like another 'phoenix' engine, i look forward to a running video!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Phillip, you are a 'glutton for punishment'!

And quite the master mechanic, I must say.

If you want to polish your engine like mine, budget about 200 hours.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My wife called this box "a Puzzle for big boys"...
    I like your wife already
    Club Saito member #632
    Once you hear the sound of a multicylinder 4-stroke, you\'\'ll be hooked forever!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tom: lol, just had two deja vues...

one: while walking through the christmas market in innsbucks old town today my wife suddenly stopped and asked me " if you wanted a third radial, why didn't you just buy one and get on with your planes? You always do it the hard way, dont you?". She has a point there. All I could answer was "I felt sorry for that aussie engine..."

two: see below just came from the basement. Lets call it "probing" (thats the old busted head from my first 400)

@Carosel... I guess after the third Vee I would start throwing stuff around [:@] I managed to shoot one of those retainer blocks through the plastic bag and it flew 5 meters across the room onto a dark carpet. Thank you very much... [&:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kmot

And quite the master mechanic, I must say.
    tom, that means a lot from a real mechanic! Thank You! In real life I am actually, well my mother in law reffers to it as "he does something strange with computers"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rev, there are many dents in the ceiling tiles from escaped springs and collet retainers. its why i wear goggles! and putting the valves in is ok...until you get a stubborn one that wont seal no matter what you do, and just as you are about to throw the whole thing out the window, and for no apparent reason, it seals tighter than a ducks backside! its the price i pay for checking every single valve for leaks, but its gotta be done. infact i test every valve 3 times before the engine is test run.

Also if you had sent me the ali parts before you put the heads together i would have shot blasted them for you. i was going to do my engine but idnt fancy taking all the valves out