Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 120 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

Hi Charlie, and thanks!

Yes, I started it two years or so ago and got side tracked on other projects.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kmot,

I've been looking around and have seen some of the other engines you have worked on. When you decide to color the engines, are you using paint or do you have the parts powder coated?

1. If paint, what brand do you use?

2. If powder coating, do you or the company you use mask off or block all access to the interior of the parts?

Thank you!

Charlie

Charlie, I use Dupli-Color engine enamel. I mask all interior openings and passages. I insert screws into threaded holes as necessary to protect them. I use Q-tips in some orifices, toothpicks, etc., whatever will do the job.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is it nitro proof ?

Everything I have used that is not 2 component seems to wash off when raw fuel dribbles onto it.
    Sonnich Johannesen

ORIGINAL: SJN

Is it nitro proof ?
    Absolutely!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulreUCHqlWg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzSygqHvLPY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-cUbldLc5c[/youtube]

~Tom~

Back on topic....

Lots more accomplished today. Could actually have done more but I need to order some replacement o-rings first.

Here is the blow by blow account.

I first spent some more quality time with the solvent and denatured alcohol, cleaning up the last two major pieces of buffing compound.

The hand polishing continues. I have been calling the stuff "Liquid Luster". My bad, it is actually called "Liquid Buff". Made by HPC Coatings, a company that does the ceramic coating of headers and other parts.

Then I bolted on the diffuser thing-a-ma-jig. I am using the SS screws on the inside as well, for the most part. Less to rust, I figure.

Next comes the rear cover and carb mount. It must be oriented a specific way, so pay attention when you are doing yours.

Then I bolted up the main engine mounting bracket. It's hard to get a picture with flash, gets too dark because of reflection. Without flash it is a bit blurry, sorry.

After using some Scotchbrite to clean the lifters, I oiled them and installed them into the nose case and then mounted the #1 cylinder head, and pushrod tubes.

Then I dropped in the pushrods and mounted the rocker arm assembly.

And last but not least, the rocker box cover.

At this point I ran into a snag because the old o-rings for the pushrod tubes are in really bad shape and I must order more. I put two of the best ones I had on the one cylinder I installed.

I thought I would try to get a few snapshots of the engine so far, in natural daylight.

~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

beautiful Kmot. Boy I think you should start your own service on these motors. Its obvious the quality control is not up to par as the other manufacturers. Did you get a chance to open the ASP up b4 you ran her? Overall, what would you say are the issues with the motor?Is it worth owning and do you trust it in a plane? I have mine mounted in the Bearcat and it is nearly ready to go. Need to paint the markings on it and I will have no valid excuses.

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Did you get a chance to open the ASP up b4 you ran her? Overall, what would you say are the issues with the motor?Is it worth owning and do you trust it in a plane?
    Normally I do indeed remove at least the backplate to have a look around inside. I did not open this engine up though.

I don't know what the issues are with this motor. Mine had a linkpin failure and I caught it thanks to the information posted by others.

I think it is worth owning, and for me it is the only radial I will ever be able to afford to own. Based on several videos I have seen, there is no reason not to trust it in an airplane.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so, you wanna rework miine before its 1st flight? , The way I look at it so far, I am way ahead iin the cost wars so I would even pay extra for a " KmotSpecial Edition" ala clarence lee.

LOL

The problem is getting spare parts. No one in North America stocks them. I tried Just Engines in the UK, and although they said they sell parts they do not stock them and are just a middleman and could not even get me all the parts I had numbers for! Even the sellers in Asia who sell the engines NIB do not stock spare parts that I was ever able to find. Conrad in Germany stocks spare parts but will not sell to USA customers. I had to have a friend in Germany order my spare parts for me, and then mail them to me himself.

I am a retired mechanic. Shop rates are $120 bucks an hour now for labor. If I charged $1 buck an hour for labor people would complain it is costing too much.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yea , it figures had to ask though, i wonder why they wont sell the parts overseas. heck if you ever feel the need, I would be your 1st customer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fantastic Tom.....looks even better than an OS engine now

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67...#ixzz0oAIIcuq5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ax73201.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	1437607  
    Sonnich Johannesen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My New ASP 400 plane just arrived
    Zero problems with the cowl fit on this one
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9738897/tm.htm
    Sonnich Johannesen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Hi Charlie, and thanks!

Yes, I started it two years or so ago and got side tracked on other projects.
    Yeahh you kept us waiting for 2 YEARS!!

Looks very nice!
    Jorge Andres Estrada

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kmot
    .......Then I bolted on the diffuser thing-a-ma-jig. I am using the SS screws on the inside as well, for the most part. Less to rust, I figure....
    Tom,
    As a mechanic I'm a good electrician. So I have a question for you. I've read that stainless steel bolts have lower torque ratings than their equivalent size steel counter parts. I read of an incident where a experimental pilot lost his life when he replaced the steel hardware of his kit plane with stainless without checking the torque ratings. I would hate to see anything happen to the work of art you own.
    John
    Have desk ... Will Fly.... Saito Member #467
    Ultimate Brotherhood #11, Ultra Sport Brotherhood #90

Thanks for the concern John. You are correct, SS has less torque strength than carbon steel. But in model engines we are dealing with "inch-ounces" of torque, not "foot-pounds" of torque. And unlike airframe bolts, the engine bolts are not being subjected to enormous shear loads and stretch loads while in flight. The SS bolts are perfectly fine in model engines and also model car and boat chassis. I have been using SS screws for years in my models and have never had a single failure.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like I said - as a mechanic I make a good electrician. Good information to know.
    Thanks,
    John
    Have desk ... Will Fly.... Saito Member #467
    Ultimate Brotherhood #11, Ultra Sport Brotherhood #90

Regarding the parts issue in North America, I started searching again and found that Hobby People carries some Magnum engine parts and some of them are usable in the FS400 and also they still have a small assortment of actual FS400 parts left over from when they carried the radial:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/hps_107363531.asp
    ~Tom~

I just got back from my local Hobby People store, looking for parts. I wanted o-rings and gaskets. They had an o-ring in stock. The one for the top of the pushrod tube. A single o-ring from Magnum costs $1.50! One per package. And they only had one. I need eight. I had them look for shock absorber o-rings, and found a package of Associated silicone o-rings, eight to a package, for $2.00 bucks. Much more sensible. I bought them. I still have to order the gaskets from HP online though.

Anyway, if someone needs o-rings for their ASP/Magnum/SC engines, look at shock absorber o-rings instead for better quality and price. Silicone versus rubber.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On my single cylinder ASP`s I have used small slices of silicon glow fuel line as O-rings
    THey still hold up to this day
    Sonnich Johannesen

That's a good tip Sonny, thanks!
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I just got back from my local Hobby People store, looking for parts. I wanted o-rings and gaskets. They had an o-ring in stock. The one for the top of the pushrod tube. A single o-ring from Magnum costs $1.50! One per package. And they only had one. I need eight. I had them look for shock absorber o-rings, and found a package of Associated silicone o-rings, eight to a package, for $2.00 bucks. Much more sensible. I bought them. I still have to order the gaskets from HP online though.

Anyway, if someone needs o-rings for their ASP/Magnum/SC engines, look at shock absorber o-rings instead for better quality and price. Silicone versus rubber.
    Hi,

Yes, you will find it cheaper to purchase generic O-rings rather than standard parts. They are most likely identical.

As for gaskets, you may wish to try a good gasket sealant. Whilst I haven't tried this on model engines I have rebuilt many small industrial engines using Blue Hylomar. You can buy this in a tube or spray can (tube is probably cleaner to apply). Permatex is another leading brand to consider. Just use a smear of the sealant on the mating surfaces, it works out about the same thickness as most paper based gaskets.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SJN

On my single cylinder ASP`s I have used small slices of silicon glow fuel line as O-rings
    THey still hold up to this day
    I used small slices of fuel tubing to seal the tops of Saito push rod tubes. For the lower end I used heat shrink.

Whilst the ASP/Magnum engines use a different type of seal, fuel tube should work just as well.

Hey there Raven, I have used several types of liquid gasket during my years as a professional mechanic/technician/inspector. I am well familiar with them, and thanks for the input.

Actually, I want one good intake gasket to use as a template, to make a complete set of gaskets from gasket paper. I could just use the intake pipe flange, but I prefer to make one as original. And as discussed fuel tubing o-rings would certainly be a serviceable 'part' to use, I am building this engine as a showpiece and so I do not want to have any 'off hand' if you will, parts on it.

The other gasket I need is the head shim and it is like a piece of aluminum foil, no way I can cut one of those out accurately so I need a factory part.
    ~Tom~

I got the rest of the cylinders and valve train installed today. I am actually going to remove #1 cylinder to change the pushrod tube o-rings when my package arrives. The other tubes all have the new red silicone o-rings.

Wow, it is really starting to look good now!

~Tom~

Page 6 of 120 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast