Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tuning Evolution 46

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 PM
reincarnate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tuning Evolution 46

Do all of the Evolution glows like a hotter plug, or does this seem to be confined to the 46? I have (2 of) the 35NT's in a twin, and am wondering about these? Haven't even ran them yet, but I'm just curious.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good question about the .35NT. I've heard almost nothing about this engine from anyone who has run one. I would put in a plug hotter than the OS 8 anyway since the .455, .46T, and .61 all like hotter plugs. I know of a friend who is using a Saito SS plug in his 1.00 and is happy with that.

How do you like the 35NT? I may be thinking about buying one soon for a Sig Wonder. It's either that or an older ASP .40 that I have.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:44 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

It's a .36 isn't it?
There's a guy in our club with one that came on his profile Tribute...
It runs quite well, but I'm not sure what plug he's using (probably the H9 plug that came with it )

Maybe they like hotter plugs because of the additional fin area? (makes them run cooler than other engines perhaps? )
Old 12-30-2007, 11:19 PM
dwoolridge
My Feedback: (4)

cinnabunn1,

Could you please take a look at the following thread and see if those symptoms might apply to your situation?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6829281

Thanks,
Doug
Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 AM
D Bronk

Hi Folks ..I Got a EVO .46" "A" Head,The Trainer/Power system, I guess..It came factory Equipped in a RTR, ProBoat Vortex 46, AirBoat.I Want to Run it today, and Noticed this topic/thread..I`ll make a Cylinder & Head Heat Shield for it, to try and Maintain some heat in the engine..Just wondering what the OEM Glow Plug is in this Eng...? The only Identifiying markings I can see on the Glow plug is a letter "H",(for Hot Maybe,not sure)..I`m gathering, from what everyone is saying here, that the Hotter the Plug, the Better..Any oppinions, on me Starting/Breaking The Engine in, with the factory Equipped Glow plug for a Few Tanks of Fuel and Then Switching to another Glow plug that I have on Hand.The Spare Glow plug I have here, is a K&B 4520 and it has an Idle Bar on it.What ya think?

Happy New Year !!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
skiman762

The "A" head is the .45 or .455 or by the math .4577 anyway yes they all seen to like hot plugs
I flew one in winter I just cut a piece of of an old leather boot and zip tied it to the front of the fins cut it so it just cover the front area and it really helps keep it warmer
Old 12-31-2007, 02:07 PM
cinnabunn1

Yes very similar. Runs slobbery rich but still gets hot. We've been thinking about pre-heating our fuel. Or just flying electrics until it gets warmer in the spring.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 PM
blw

I don't think that outside temperatures have much to do with the glow plug selection. The main problem I think happens is that the hotter plug burns the fuel faster or more efficiently. Otherwise, with something like the OS 8, the crankcase gets loaded up with excess fuel. You can see this happen when starting the engines or letting them idle for long periods like on approach. From what I've seen, you can't tune this out with the needles. Also, I noticed that I had a significant amount of more power when I went from the OS 8 to a hotter plug with my .46NT. There was a big wow factor on the first takeoff.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:42 PM
skiman762

ORIGINAL: blw

I don't think that outside temperatures have much to do with the glow plug selection. The main problem I think happens is that the hotter plug burns the fuel faster or more efficiently. Otherwise, with something like the OS 8, the crankcase gets loaded up with excess fuel. You can see this happen when starting the engines or letting them idle for long periods like on approach. From what I've seen, you can't tune this out with the needles. Also, I noticed that I had a significant amount of more power when I went from the OS 8 to a hotter plug with my .46NT. There was a big wow factor on the first takeoff.

That is one area I think OS has the edge, their carb are really nice and seem to tune better then most I bet swapping a OS carb on to a trouble maker engine would fix many a complaint about the less expensive engine face it they had to save money somewhere and the carb is the most complex part on the engine to make

Old 01-01-2008, 02:24 PM
DALE PABAJO

YOU KNOW THAT COULD WORK? ON SOME ENGINS.IT'S A THING OF TRAIL AND ERROR A GMS CARB. IS A PERFECT FIT FOR A LEO .46 WITH A FEW CLICKS OF THE NEEDLE. WELL I GOTTA GO C YA
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
blw

The Evolution carbs are plenty good enough to me.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 AM
DALE PABAJO

HEY ANY OF YOU FELLAS TRY COOL POWER 30% HELI ON YOU'R EVO .455?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
dwoolridge
My Feedback: (4)

Cinnabunn1,

I solved the vent line plugging problem I was having by removing the muffler baffle plate. Horizon had said the engine ran fine after we sent it in, but the line plugged itself within 10 seconds of running full throttle (on a 20 degrees day). Removing the muffle baffle solved the problem.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#6992949

I hope this might be helpful.

--Doug